On this Day

texan

On this day, 14 July 1968, Hank Aaron hit his 500th career home run -- in Atlanta, GA -- leading the Braves to a 4-2 win
over the San Francisco Giants. (In April of 1974, Hammerin’ Hank eclipsed the old home-run mark [714] held by Babe Ruth.)

texan

On this day, 14 July 1946, Dr. Benjamin Spock’s Baby and Child Care was first published.

The book quickly became one of the most widely-discussed books ever published -- and one of the most widely sold.

In fact, Dr. Spock’s baby book sold more copies than any book other than the Bible.

texan

On this day, 16 July 1981, After 23 years of familiarity with the name, Datsun, executives of Nissan, the Japanese
automaker, played with our minds and changed the name of their cars to Nissan.

Nissan didn’t begin to show up on nameplates in the U.S. until the 1985 models were released.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I worked at Cline Dahle's dealership during this time and had to change the way I answered the phones.....from Datsun to Nissan.

klein

Für Meno :)
On this day, July 16, 1988, Wayne Gretzky and Janet Jones tied the knot here in Edmonton at St. Joseph's Basilica on Jasper Avenue.
Happy 24th anniversary Wayne & Janet!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
On this day, 16 July 1981, After 23 years of familiarity with the name, Datsun, executives of Nissan, the Japanese
automaker, played with our minds and changed the name of their cars to Nissan.

Nissan didn’t begin to show up on nameplates in the U.S. until the 1985 models were released.

July 16, 1981

Harry died.

texan

On this day, 17 July 1955, Disneyland opened the gates to “The Happiest Place on Earth” in Anaheim, California.

In the famous theme park’s first year of operation, some four million people visited Main Street USA, Fantasyland, Frontierland
and Tomorrowland. On its opening day, Disneyland held a gala TV broadcast featuring Walt Disney, Bob Cummings, Art
Linkletter and Ronald Reagan.

texan

On this day, 18 July 1936, :
Every now and then a commercial jingle becomes something other than a commercial.
It becomes a part of Americana. And so it goes with the Oscar Mayer Wiener Jingle (“I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener...”).
But long before the jingle/song entered our lives, Carl Mayer, nephew of Oscar Mayer, invented
another quaint entry into Americana: the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

The first Wienermobile rolled out of General Body Company’s factory in Chicago on this day in 1936.
The Wienermobile tours around the U.S. fascinating children of all ages as it promotes the famous Oscar
Mayer wiener. If you’ve had the pleasure of seeing the Wienermobile in person, don’t think only the folks
in your part of the U.S.A. are the lucky ones, because today there are six of the silly-looking cars.

0718.gif

texan

On this day, 19 July 1997, Daniel Komen of Kenya broke the 8-minute barrier for the 2-mile run while setting a
new world record of 7:58.61 at the Hechtel Night of Athletics in Hechtel, Belgium.
Komen actually ran two sub-4-minute-miles in this race, running his first mile in 3:59.2, then turned
in a second mile of 3:59.4.

texan

On this day, 20 July 1969, With “...one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” astronaut, Neil Armstrong, pilot of the lunar
spacecraft, the Eagle, made the first footsteps on the surface of the moon at 10:56 p.m. EDT on this day in 1969.

Which foot did Armstrong use to step on the grainy, grayish, lunar soil? His left.

texan

On this day, 22 July U.S. President Bill Clinton signed a bill designed to mold the IRS (Internal Revenue Service)
into a friendlier, fairer tax collector. Democrat and Republican lawmakers attended the bill-signing ceremony at
the White House.
Now that it’s been a few years, what do you think of this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On this day, 22 July U.S. President Bill Clinton signed a bill designed to mold the IRS (Internal Revenue Service)
into a friendlier, fairer tax collector. Democrat and Republican lawmakers attended the bill-signing ceremony at
the White House.
Now that it’s been a few years, what do you think of this?

My son had a minor issue with the IRS. The financial aid office needed a transcript of his 2011 return to verify his information. I tried 3 times to order one using their online service but it never arrived. It turns out the address that they had on file was incorrect. It took me an hour on the phone to get this very minor issue corrected.