On this Day

packageguy

A guy wrote a book on Padre Pio and he spoke for a church group. My mom and I attended. Wow! I bought the book at that time.
The man who spoke knew him . It was incredible!

I've being going to his mass about 20 something years, I've read lots of books about him, and bus trips to washington nj each year.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
On this day, 22 Sptember 1964, Robert Vaughn starred as Napoleon Solo when The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
debuted on NBC-TV this night.
Solo’s trusty side-kick in this James Bond spoof was Illya Kuryakin, played by David McCallum.
The show was a hit for 3½ seasons.
​And David McCallum has 9 years on NCIS. Tues I will find out if he will continue on in this season.

texan

On the day, 24 Sep 1968, The longest-running newsmagazine on television began on CBS-TV.

60 Minutes started on this, a Tuesday, night in 1968.

During its first three years on the tube, 60 Minutes ran on an alternate-week schedule with CBS News Hour, moving
to Sundays (all by itself) in early 1972.

60 Minutes debuted with two correspondents: Mike Wallace and Harry Reasoner.

texan

On this day September 24, 1961.. I Love Lucy aired it's last show,
with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball...
I just read that they still make BIG money on the reruns.
"More than 60 years after its debut, the iconic sitcom brings millions of dollars to the network's coffers."

'I Love Lucy' still delivers for CBS- MSN Money

texan

On this day, 25 Sep 1890, A U.S. National Park was established in Central California.
It was called Sequoia National Park after the giant redwood trees that grow there.
224px-General_Sherman_tree_looking_up.jpg

texan

On this day, 26 Sep 1964, Gilligan’s Island began its 98-show run on CBS.

The TV show starred Bob Denver in the title role, Jim Backus as Mr. Howell, Natalie Schafer
as Lovey Howell, Alan Hale as the Skipper, Russell Johnson as the Professor and Dawn Wells
and Tina Louise as Mary Ann and Ginger, respectively.
250px-Gilligans_Island_title_card.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...which begs the question---who was hotter---Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mary Ann. She was much more wholesome (at least her character was---turns out the actress was less than wholesome).

texan

On this day, 27 Sep 1964, The Warren Commission report concluded that there was no conspiracy
in the assassination of President John friend. Kennedy; Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

And to this day, it has really never been settled.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On this day, 27 Sep 12, the NFL referee lockout was ended. The "real" referees will be on the field tonight for the Browns/Ravens game.

On a side note, I wonder if UPS could learn anything from the reaction of the "customers" (fans) toward "management" (NFL) as we begin our contract negotiations.