On this Day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They still watched and went to the games. The fans supported the replacement refs with their patronage.

The fans (other than aj) don't to go the games to watch the ref(s). The best game, in any sport, is one in which you don't even know the officials were out there. The fans reacted to the poor officiating and the league settled the dispute.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have watched and liked NCIS for years.
Gibbs and Zeva are my favorites. Not that the rest of the cast is not great.

The NCIS LA was good, but I still liked the original.
I slept through the season opener Tues night but have it on DVR. Thank god for DVR. I watched both of them last night. Good opener!

texan

On this day, 28 Sep 1941, Ted Williams becomes last player to hit .400

On this day in 1941, the Boston Red Sox's Ted Williams plays a double-header against the Philadelphia
Athletics on the last day of the regular season and gets six hits in eight trips to the plate, to boost his
batting average to .406 and become the first player since Bill Terry in 1930 to hit .400.
Williams, who spent his entire career with the Sox, played his final game exactly 19 years later, on
September 28, 1960, at Boston’s Fenway Park and hit a home run in his last time at bat, for
a career total of 521 homeruns.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On this day, 28 Sep 1941, Ted Williams becomes last player to hit .400

On this day in 1941, the Boston Red Sox's Ted Williams plays a double-header against the Philadelphia
Athletics on the last day of the regular season and gets six hits in eight trips to the plate, to boost his
batting average to .406 and become the first player since Bill Terry in 1930 to hit .400.
Williams, who spent his entire career with the Sox, played his final game exactly 19 years later, on
September 28, 1960, at Boston’s Fenway Park and hit a home run in his last time at bat, for
a career total of 521 homeruns.

I will add to the Google version---Williams was sitting at just below .400 and was given the option of taking the day off but instead played both ends of the doubleheader and went 6 for 8, which raised his average to .406 On a side note, there is a red seat in the right field bleachers which marks the longest home run ever hit at Fenway--it was hit by Williams.

texan

On this day, Sep 29th 1060. My Three Sons was welcomed into U.S. homes on ABC-TV.

Fred MacMurray, who was a movie actor, had a difficult time making the adjustment to the small screen.
But adjust he did, and My Three Sons endured so well that CBS bought the successful hit for somewhere
between seven and ten million dollars in 1965.
my_three_sons-show.jpg

texan

On this day, 29 Sep 1996 The Nintendo 64 video game system known as the first ‘true’ 64-bit
system, hit North American shelves.

That first day, Nintendo sold 500,000 systems, with the Mario64 game selling the same with it.
Needless to say, Nintendo’s system was a big sucess.

texan

On this day, 30 Sep 1955, James Dean, the brooding film actor who won acclaim in Giant, East of Eden
and Rebel Without a Cause, died from injuries suffered in a car crash at the intersection of routes 46 and 41,
near Cholame, CA, a tiny farm town.

Dean, who lived the life of James Stark (his character in Rebel Without a Cause), was killed when his Porsche Spyder
ran into another car, head-on at 75 miles an hour. James Dean souvenirs are for sale at the Jack Ranch Cafe, a
half-mile west of the crash scene.

Located near the cafe is the Dean memorial, financed by Japanese fan Seita Ohnishi. Dean's mechanic, Rolf
Wütherich, who was in the Porsche with Dean, was gravely injured, but gradually recovered.

Ironically, Wütherich eventually returned to his native (West) Germany and died there in 1981 when his car
skidded on a rain-slickened road and struck a tree.

texan

On this day, 1 Oct 1880, A new director of the United States Marine Corps Band was named.

John Philip Sousa became the band’s 17th leader. In 1888 he composed Semper Fidelis, traditionally known as the
official march of the Marine Corps.

texan

On this day, 1 Oct 1908, Imagine paying just $825 for a new car!

That’s what it cost to buy the new Model T which was introduced by Henry Ford.

texan

On this day, 2 Oct 1950, The renowned comic strip Peanuts, from the pen of cartoonist Charles Schulz, began
on this day in 1950 in seven U.S. newspapers.

The strip, for the United Features Syndicate, had only three characters at its inception: Charlie Brown, Peppermint
Patty (Reichardt) and Shermy.

The world’s most famous beagle, Snoopy, made his first appearance on October 4th.
Later, we were introduced to Linus, Lucy Van Pelt, Sally and Schroeder; and learned that the Peanuts gang
came from the California town of Sebastopol, which really exists.
1002.gif

texan

On this day, 2 October 1955, “Good Eeeeeeevening.” The master of mystery movies, Alfred Hitchcock,
presented his brand of suspense to millions of viewers on CBS.

The man who put the thrill in thriller would visit viewers each week for ten years with
Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

And who could forget that theme song (The Funeral March of a Marionette)?

texan

On this day, 3 Oct 1961, Rob (Dick Van Dyke), Laura (Mary Tyler Moore), Sally (Rose Marie) and
Buddy (Morey Amsterdam) debuted in The Dick Van Dyke Show on CBS-TV.

Created by Carl Reiner, the show ran for five years (if you don’t include cable reruns).

texan

On this day, 4 Oct 1970, Janis Joplin died from a drug overdose.

She was 27. Joplin, known for her passionate, bluesy, vocal style, was the lead singer of Big Brother and
the Holding Company. She became a superstar with hits like, Down on Me, Pearl (her nickname) and
Every Little Piece of My Heart; but Me and Bobby McGee was her only certified top 40 hit.
The Bette Midler movie, The Rose, was based on Joplin’s life.

texan

On this day, 5 Oct 1947, First presidential speech on TV

On this day in 1947, President Harry Truman (1884-1972) makes the first-ever televised presidential address
from the White House, asking Americans to cut back on their use of grain in order to help starving Europeans.

At the time of Truman's food-conservation speech, Europe was still recovering from World War II and suffering
from famine. Truman, the 33rd commander in chief, worried that if the U.S. didn't provide food aid, his
administration's Marshall Plan for European economic recovery would fall apart.

He asked farmers and distillers to reduce grain use and requested that the public voluntarily forgo
meat on Tuesdays, eggs and poultry on Thursdays and save a slice of bread each day.