Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

vantexan

There is only one EV maker.
I think Tesla's look fine, but if I could afford it I'd love something like that Cadillac. No matter how well it performs I'd never buy the Tesla truck. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all make trucks that I'd be proud to own. There's more to it than just performance.

wilberforce15

I think Tesla's look fine, but if I could afford it I'd love something like that Cadillac. No matter how well it performs I'd never buy the Tesla truck. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all make trucks that I'd be proud to own. There's more to it than just performance.
There is more to it than performance, but there isn't less than performance. And for now, and for a long time in the future, nobody will have much that performs anything like a Tesla anywhere near a Tesla price.

vantexan

There is more to it than performance, but there isn't less than performance. And for now, and for a long time in the future, nobody will have much that performs anything like a Tesla anywhere near a Tesla price.
The Tesla truck only beats the big 3 in fuel consumption. But even if it outperformed them in everything else it's still ugly. Might appeal to some, but not me.

vantexan

It doesn't have to appeal to you. Bu to say it's only superior in fuel consumption is simply false.
There's no way that truck carries or pulls the amount of weight the Big 3 do. You've said it yourself, towing kills range. Does it compare favorably with their half ton trucks? I'm sure it does. But for the price you can get a 1 ton or even bigger if needed. friend-450/friend-550/friend-650. If you just want to drive a pickup with no hauling at all, never leave the pavement, I'd still take the Big 3 half ton trucks on looks alone.

wilberforce15

I gue
There's no way that truck carries or pulls the amount of weight the Big 3 do. You've said it yourself, towing kills range. Does it compare favorably with their half ton trucks? I'm sure it does. But for the price you can get a 1 ton or even bigger if needed. friend-450/friend-550/friend-650. If you just want to drive a pickup with no hauling at all, never leave the pavement, I'd still take the Big 3 half ton trucks on looks alone.
In the time it took to write that, you could've educated yourself. Why wait for me to do it?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Fact: Most truck owners wouldn't know how to attach a trailer to their truck if their life depended on it.
10BBFDEE-0DDB-4AE6-9014-675DCFA121A2.png

How hard can it be
No pun intended

newolddude

The Tesla truck only beats the big 3 in fuel consumption. But even if it outperformed them in everything else it's still ugly. Might appeal to some, but not me.

Tesla hasn't freshened up their designs a bit and probably won't. A 2012 Tesla Model S looks like a 2022 Tesla Model S. And my guess is the 2032 Model S will be pretty much the same.

And don't get me started on the Tesla Cybertruck
Cybertruck-MAIN_i.jpg

At least the Lightning looks normal.
2022_Ford_F-150_LightingFD_1.jpg

wilberforce15

Tesla hasn't freshened up their designs a bit and probably won't. A 2012 Tesla Model S looks like a 2022 Tesla Model S. And my guess is the 2032 Model S will be pretty much the same.

And don't get me started on the Tesla Cybertruck
Cybertruck-MAIN_i.jpg

At least the Lightning looks normal.
2022_Ford_F-150_LightingFD_1.jpg
The looks are functional.

The steel can't be bent normally, and part of design is ease of manufacture.

It's why you get so much more truck for the money.

vantexan

Cybertruck has more payload, torque, ground clearance, speed and whatever else you want. If you want towing range, get the premium version
The dual motor Cybertruck is rated at 3500 lbs payload and 10,000 lbs towing. That's a decent payload but not as much as a one ton ICE pickup. Even a 3/4 ton diesel will tow almost twice that. The three motor top of the line can tow 14,000 lbs which is still way short of even the 3/4 ton diesel.

wilberforce15

The dual motor Cybertruck is rated at 3500 lbs payload and 10,000 lbs towing. That's a decent payload but not as much as a one ton ICE pickup. Even a 3/4 ton diesel will tow almost twice that. The three motor top of the line can tow 14,000 lbs which is still way short of even the 3/4 ton diesel.
It's competing against half ton trucks for buyers. Its not competing to take buyers from 1 ton or 3/4 ton diesels

vantexan

It's competing against half ton trucks for buyers. Its not competing to take buyers from 1 ton or 3/4 ton diesels
If it can't do what the big boys do then when it competes against friend-150's Mama is going to say no. It's ugly. If the day comes when you can't buy an ICE vehicle they'll still want a pickup that looks like a pickup.

wilberforce15

If it can't do what the big boys do then when it competes against friend-150's Mama is going to say no. It's ugly. If the day comes when you can't buy an ICE vehicle they'll still want a pickup that looks like a pickup.
They could make one do that. And they'd sell less that way.

The first truck entry goes to the biggest mass market for trucks. And beats all of them. Welcome to running a business.

newolddude

I don't understand the pearl clutching "They're coming for our ICE trucks and scrapping them all!!!!!!"

Electric trucks are perfect for the posers who drive trucks but never actually do anything with them. There will still be gas and diesel heavy duty trucks 40 years from now.

wilberforce15

I don't understand the pearl clutching "They're coming for our ICE trucks and scrapping them all!!!!!!"

Electric trucks are perfect for the posers who drive trucks but never actually do anything with them. There will still be gas and diesel heavy duty trucks 40 years from now.
They'll also take from the work van market. If you're not doing heavy towing over distance, it's superior at almost everything close to its class. Best suspension. Best on board tool integration. Toughest body. Best ground clearance. You name it.