Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

So, GM is going to try to partner to build 2,000 stalls in the next THREE YEARS.

Tesla has 32,000 stalls already and will add more than GM's entire plan by Christmas this year. Because that's just Tesla's normal level of construction.

So pathetic. And GM won't even hit that target, lol.
The gap between Tesla and the rest gets wider every year.

For years, everyone said, "The competition is coming."

No, the competition is not coming.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wouldn't put to much faith in GM.
They have a recall, windshield wipers, out but informed the vehicle owners that the parts needed aren't available.
And they don't know when they will be.

wilberforce15

I wouldn't put to much faith in GM.
They have a recall, windshield wipers, out but informed the vehicle owners that the parts needed aren't available.
And they don't know when they will be.
Even if you put all your faith in the deal, and they do everything they plan, they'd still be farther behind the curve after completing the plan. It's that hopeless.

wilberforce15

When we switch to green energy, won't matter where you live. The fatal flaw in EV's is a grid that can't support all of them.
Fixing the grid is super easy. You already know that.

So your objection is that Texas Republicans and California Democrats suck at that.

What does that have to do with me?

vantexan

Fixing the grid is super easy. You already know that.

So your objection is that Texas Republicans and California Democrats suck at that.

What does that have to do with me?
Doesn't have anything to do with you. You've already bought a Tesla and are happy come what may. Others who haven't bought an EV yet should be aware that the far Left, this administration, is pushing us into a green fuel future before there's adequate infrastructure to support so many EV's and everything else. That may be a real world problem for them. Won't matter if there's a million Tesla charging stations if there's constant rolling blackouts that may prevent charging your Tesla at them or at home. May I suggest a portable generator as a backup, assuming you can find gas?

wilberforce15

Doesn't have anything to do with you. You've already bought a Tesla and are happy come what may. Others who haven't bought an EV yet should be aware that the far Left, this administration, is pushing us into a green fuel future before there's adequate infrastructure to support so many EV's and everything else. That may be a real world problem for them. Won't matter if there's a million Tesla charging stations if there's constant rolling blackouts that may prevent charging your Tesla at them or at home. May I suggest a portable generator as a backup, assuming you can find gas?
So it doesn't have anything to do with me. And you tagged me.

Got it. I make all my own fuel. Thanks. I can deal with a 20 year power outage.

wilberforce15

But you've been extolling the virtues of Tesla as if there's not even a potential downside. There is.
If you forget California, as any decent American should, there is basically no risk as far as power availability for EV owners. The grid is a problem, but it will be solved as it becomes more urgent to solve it. It's really not that big of a deal.

vantexan

If you forget California, as any decent American should, there is basically no risk as far as power availability for EV owners. The grid is a problem, but it will be solved as it becomes more urgent to solve it. It's really not that big of a deal.
When EV owners are being asked to not charge due to potential blackouts, and EV owners represent a small fraction of car owners, I'd say pushing all new cars be EV's by a certain year when they nowhere near have the capacity to handle them is a big deal.

wilberforce15

When EV owners are being asked to not charge due to potential blackouts, and EV owners represent a small fraction of car owners, I'd say pushing all new cars be EV's by a certain year when they nowhere near have the capacity to handle them is a big deal.
Tesla is trying to show off being a responsible corporate citizen. The EV's were not the threat to the grid.

Getting the capacity to handle them isn't difficult. And EV's aren't the strain to the system now.

Most people need a charge once a week or less, and they can do that whenever they choose. This isn't a burden on the owners at all.

vantexan

Tesla is trying to show off being a responsible corporate citizen. The EV's were not the threat to the grid.

Getting the capacity to handle them isn't difficult. And EV's aren't the strain to the system now.

Most people need a charge once a week or less, and they can do that whenever they choose. This isn't a burden on the owners at all.
And when every new car sold is an EV the capacity to handle millions of charging cars will be in place and we'll all be skipping through fields of daisies. If you say so.

wilberforce15

And when every new car sold is an EV the capacity to handle millions of charging cars will be in place and we'll all be skipping through fields of daisies. If you say so.
That's over a decade away, and when the urgency becomes apparent, it's very quick to solve. This is just not an issue.

Really, you dislike the price and performance available in EV's, and you desperately need them to have an Achilles heel. So you make one up.

vantexan

That's over a decade away, and when the urgency becomes apparent, it's very quick to solve. This is just not an issue.

Really, you dislike the price and performance available in EV's, and you desperately need them to have an Achilles heel. So you make one up.
That's a pretty big Achilles heel that hasn't been solved yet. If one is in an area where he can charge at home and he only drives in the city most of the time then more power to him, no pun intended. While we're at it the problem of having enough copper and silver to make hundreds of millions of EV's hasn't been solved yet either. I'm sure you'll figure it out. No big deal.