Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Non liberal

Congratulations. *Yawn and eye roll.*

So you are agreeing with my claim. The claim was that replacing an electric motor would be cheaper than 15 to 20 years of oil changes you can. You can very easily get a low mileage replacement motor for 2 to 4,000 which makes this really ballpark if you include just a fluid flush or two. Thank you for proving my case.

And the electric motors don't die anyway. They last for millions of miles. But even in your silly example just your oil change and fluid replacement cost with no breakdowns cost more than my motor replace every 20 years
Absolutely no proof of these things lasting millions of miles in real world conditions.

wilberforce15

The 4680 cell is the one I'm talking about. Tesla developed it. Tested by third parties. And the competitionCATL has adopted it as well and is starting to manufacture. It's going out in cars right now

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Even the turbines that produce power at dams need to be taken out of service and rebuilt.
So the claim of electric motors don't die is misleading.

wilberforce15

Absolutely no proof of these things lasting millions of miles in real world conditions.
No that's because they haven't been in real world conditions long enough for millions of miles.

What we do have is hundreds of thousands of Teslas lasting hundreds of thousands of miles and an extraordinarily low failure rate on the motor. It is so low that it's almost zero.

The motors are never the problem. Ask anybody you want, and look anywhere you want, the motors are never the problem, no matter the mileage.

wilberforce15

Even the turbines that produce power at dams need to be taken out of service and rebuilt.
So the claim of electric motors don't die is misleading.
I'm glad you brought that up. Let's do some math. Those turbines operate 24 hours a day Teslas usually operate less than 1 hour a day. So multiply the turbine lifespan by at least 24. And then multiply it again for the wear and tear being so much less intense.

We have hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road, with hundreds of thousands of miles, and motors are not failing. And none of them have maintenance schedules

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If you live in an area known to have flash floods, do not buy an electric vehicle.
The extra weight of the batteries will cause the vehicle to sink rapidly when engulfed in a water source.

wilberforce15

If you live in an area known to have flash floods, do not buy an electric vehicle.
The extra weight of the batteries will cause the vehicle to sink rapidly when engulfed in a water source.
Lol. That's the biggest advantage. In flood conditions you want an extremely low center of gravity and a very heavy vehicle. That's why they're so Superior in flood conditions.

trickpony1

Think about all the maintenance that keeps the average mechanic afloat. Electric vehicles do not have those parts. There is no maintenance schedule enough to maintain all of those shops. There is nothing for them to do.
I'm sorry but I still don't believe the bushings, bearings, brushes and commutators in an electric motor that runs 0-13,000 rpms (your words) don't wear out, fail and need replaced.

Change my mind.

wilberforce15

I'm sorry but I still don't believe the bushings, bearings, brushes and commutators in an electric motor that runs 0-13,000 rpms (your words) don't wear out, fail and need replaced.

Change my mind.
Does it matter to you if I can point out that the old inferior electric motors are already proven the last 300,000 to 500,000 miles and lots of people have done it?

It is standard common knowledge that nobody on the internet even really disputes. The old ones we know lasted for maybe 300 to 500 k. The new ones are much better. But nobody knows yet how much better..

wilberforce15

If you guys just ran across a spec sheet for electric vehicles and saw the capability and longevity reliability and ease of use and maintenance, you would love them for being Superior machines.

But you're all super triggered by how evil all the EV promoters are, and you are right. They are part of a global conspiracy to put you down. But the machine is still superior.

vantexan

If you guys just ran across a spec sheet for electric vehicles and saw the capability and longevity reliability and ease of use and maintenance, you would love them for being Superior machines.

But you're all super triggered by how evil all the EV promoters are, and you are right. They are part of a global conspiracy to put you down. But the machine is still superior.
If that's true why do you support them by continuing to buy their products? Superior or not it's a matter of integrity, of ethics.

Non liberal

Oh ok, we all know they lie to us and basically want to pound us into submission. But they also want to give us a hell of a deal on the best vehicle ever made. You’re delusional.

vantexan

I'm glad you brought that up. Let's do some math. Those turbines operate 24 hours a day Teslas usually operate less than 1 hour a day. So multiply the turbine lifespan by at least 24. And then multiply it again for the wear and tear being so much less intense.

We have hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road, with hundreds of thousands of miles, and motors are not failing. And none of them have maintenance schedules
A quick Google search has Elon Musk saying 300k-500k miles. Warranty on the battery depends on the model but at most 8 years and 150,000 miles. There's a Model S that has done over 900k and will likely go over a million but a lot of them don't make it half that far. We all appreciate the enthusiasm but you're exaggerating. As long as Toyota makes the Prius I'll be going that route.

Non liberal

A quick Google search has Elon Musk saying 300k-500k miles. Warranty on the battery depends on the model but at most 8 years and 150,000 miles. There's a Model S that has done over 900k and will likely go over a million but a lot of them don't make it half that far. We all appreciate the enthusiasm but you're exaggerating. As long as Toyota makes the Prius I'll be going that route.
Nah, I’ll take the 5.7 v-8.

wilberforce15

You don't even know which battery we are talking about. The batteries that I'm talking about are rolling out this year.

Maybe you should stop trying to argue with "quick Google searches" and actually read something before engaging