Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

vantexan

Battery swapping would be less convenient for me, just like having a gas car would.

Why should I make a stop to refuel at all?

My house has fuel with a plug. No stops.

If I had the chance to battery swap, why on earth would I?
The point is much of the expense of an EV is the battery. Buying a car without a battery then paying to do a quick change as needed would make EV's a lot more affordable for a lot of people. Not to mention much easier for people who live in apartments to own one. And no worries about a battery failing and having to be replaced. If this idea catches on then Tesla would just be a high end brand if they don't do likewise.

Non liberal

The point is much of the expense of an EV is the battery. Buying a car without a battery then paying to do a quick change as needed would make EV's a lot more affordable for a lot of people. Not to mention much easier for people who live in apartments to own one. And no worries about a battery failing and having to be replaced. If this idea catches on then Tesla would just be a high end brand if they don't do likewise.
And if you ask me it’s the only way evs can take over the market.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

@over9five and @Covemastah you guys better enjoy your gas guzzlers as long as you can. After 2035, it’s OVER.
Will nevah happen.

wilberforce15

If you wanted to travel cross country for a few weeks.
That will never be possible here, because the distances are too great. The economics from the manufacturerer's standpoint only work with high volume, regular swaps from customers. That battery swapping station has to keep an absurd number of batteries on hand. It's a total waste when production is battery-constrained (meaning the number of EV's produced is limited by the number of batteries we can produce).

On a cross-country trip, that's the only time it could ever make sense for me, and it would save an insignificant amount of time. Meanwhile, nobody is going to build that infrastructure here because it doesn't stand a chance of making money. It isn't going to exist.
And I've done long trips in EV's (500-1000 mi/day as a solo driver), and the time refueling is just not a big issue.

wilberforce15

And if you ask me it’s the only way evs can take over the market.
And yet, sales are doubling every year without your permission. Most people have electricity. This isn't hard.

Battery swap does not and will not work at scale in the United States. You guys have proven so thoroughly wrong about basic facts on EVs, why do you think your impression about the market has any merit?

wilberforce15

why buy two cars when you can have one gas vehicle to do anything you want. Most people can’t afford two vehicles, so they’re not going to sell them to the masses, and they’ll only be a luxury every other 4 yrs when a worthless democrat gets into office. You can’t take long vacations, you can’t tow. Sorry, people like to take vacations without spending a quarter of their time at a charging station.
Well, I've explained it. I can't force simple answers into your mind if you are immune to it. You are intent on misunderstanding.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1661601508477.png

vantexan

It will keep the cabin warm for the same amount of time as a gas car.
Except gas cars often leave with less than a full tank. But most EV owners leave with a nearly full charge every day.

The average EV user is going to stay warm longer than the average gas car in those conditions.

You people have time to make memes, but not read.
Doesn't severe cold greatly reduce an EV's range? And do EV owners charge every night? If you have a 300 mile range and a daily roundtrip of 20 miles why would you charge it every night?

vantexan

The internet is full of answers and real conditions. You guys just have a forcefield up against learning anything.
A Toyota Prius runs its climate control through its big hybrid battery. The gas engine will top the battery off about every 15 minutes running about a minute. It'll use less than a gallon every 8 hrs. He mentioned the cheaper Tesla Model S doesn't have a heat pump. So to get the capability you have to have the very expensive model. It's beyond what a lot of people can afford. A base Prius brand new is about $27k. It sips gas and you can buy an awful lot of gas for the difference in price between it and a Tesla.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I only care about reliability and longevity. The 5.7 and 6spd tranny are about as proven as it gets. It’s actually not bad for a big motor. I consistently get 18mpg.
Dodge?
I'd rather get 50+. My preferred vehicle would be a one ton pickup with a truck camper but I'll settle for what I can afford.
I'd rather get 50+ also but I live in a real world. I'm not going to be satisfied, in all aspects, so I stopped trying. My 04 3500 SRWD Cummins Ram is the optimum vehicle given all things considered. I'll list the "highs" :
Cummins diesel
20 mpg highway/local average
3000+ lbs in the 6' bed
ATS 600hp rated transmission
Smarty Touch tuner
0-60 mph in 6.2 seconds.
No DEF
No DEF
250k miles so it's already ragged and absolutely not worth worrying over.
Mainly I drive my 04 outback.
I love midget wrestling.

wilberforce15

A Toyota Prius runs its climate control through its big hybrid battery. The gas engine will top the battery off about every 15 minutes running about a minute. It'll use less than a gallon every 8 hrs. He mentioned the cheaper Tesla Model S doesn't have a heat pump. So to get the capability you have to have the very expensive model. It's beyond what a lot of people can afford. A base Prius brand new is about $27k. It sips gas and you can buy an awful lot of gas for the difference in price between it and a Tesla.
Every time you guys look foolish on a claim, you just change the claim.
The claim was that an EV wouldn't get you throw a traffic jam in a snow storm or it would be a worry.
It's not. All EV's will keep you warm as long, or longer, than the average gas car stuck there.

That is proven. So you change the claim to being able to stay warm for cheaper.

Nobody cares. Nobody is selling EV's because they are cheaper.

vantexan

Every time you guys look foolish on a claim, you just change the claim.
The claim was that an EV wouldn't get you throw a traffic jam in a snow storm or it would be a worry.
It's not. All EV's will keep you warm as long, or longer, than the average gas car stuck there.

That is proven. So you change the claim to being able to stay warm for cheaper.

Nobody cares. Nobody is selling EV's because they are cheaper.
In your video the guy said the Model S and another model don't have heat pumps. So please explain how they'll efficiently last as long as the very expensive model he had? Not being snarky. Just curious.

vantexan

Wait, is FakeTexan really believing that cheap EV's don't have heat? lol. I mean, he's dumb, but that might be a new low.
Why when something is pointed out that might not jibe with your narrative you go on the attack? Will the cheapest Model S perform as well as the expensive model he had in the video or not? You make a lot of assertions. Care to prove that? Or should we just take your word? And cheap EV's aren't cheap.

wilberforce15

In your video the guy said the Model S and another model don't have heat pumps. So please explain how they'll efficiently last as long as the very expensive model he had? Not being snarky. Just curious.
It won't last as long. They'll all last times measured in days. That's more than anyone will need. So, the concern is foolish.

wilberforce15

Why when something is pointed out that might not jibe with your narrative you go on the attack? Will the cheapest Model S perform as well as the expensive model he had in the video or not? You make a lot of assertions. Care to prove that? Or should we just take your word? And cheap EV's aren't cheap.
Nothing has to perform as well as the expensive one.
All EV's will keep you alive as long or longer than the gas cars. Heat pumps just add efficiency to an already good system.
For a while, no EV's had them at all. It's a simple matter of measuring energy. This is trivial and silly.