Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

No, the people that buy 70k truck and don’t do any of those things
There are an awful lot of tradesmen who need to look good in rich neighborhoods. Half of the plumbers and electricians around me drive late model Mercedes Sprinters.

When a roofer comes to give an estimate, half of the time he's driving an EV.

There is more than enough of this type of work and need for appearance to buy all the electric trucks that will be made.

Thebrownblob

There are an awful lot of tradesmen who need to look good in rich neighborhoods. Half of the plumbers and electricians around me drive late model Mercedes Sprinters.

There is more than enough of this type of work and need for appearance to buy all the electric trucks that will be made.
Honestly, those guys are probably making good money so they can afford it. Most of their neighbors probably can’t.

vantexan

You do realize that Tesla can design, announce, and build a dedicated factory from a forest, and have them rolling off the line faster than the average new model design comes from others?
Elon promises an impossible timeline. Then he misses it, doing it faster than anyone else ever could, and gets crap for it. lol.

The real reason is that the Austin factory (which will make the trucks) is dedicating more space to Model Y production because you can make a few model Y's for each cybertruck. They're capturing that demand with extra Y production.
So get everyone hyped about the Cybertruck then shelve it? More likely they realized there's a very limited market for something that looks like that no matter how it performs. You can compare it to the gas/diesel pickups all day but they are great to look at.

Thebrownblob

So get everyone hyped about the Cybertruck then shelve it? More likely they realized there's a very limited market for something that looks like that no matter how it performs. You can compare it to the gas/diesel pickups all day but they are great to look at.
I think the truck was a miss for sure remember the silly demonstration about the bullet proof glass? but overall they have had a lot of success in their market.

vantexan

I think the truck was a miss for sure remember the silly demonstration about the bullet proof glass? but overall they have had a lot of success in their market.
But a lot of the success is from being the first to put out a quality electric vehicle on a mass scale. How will they do with viable options out there that cost a lot less? Every time someone buys a PHEV it's market share Tesla is losing.

Thebrownblob

But a lot of the success is from being the first to put out a quality electric vehicle on a mass scale. How will they do with viable options out there that cost a lot less? Every time someone buys a PHEV it's market share Tesla is losing.
I don’t know if I agree with that because I don’t think hybrid buyers are in the same market as Teslas simply because a price.

vantexan

I don’t know if I agree with that because I don’t think hybrid buyers are in the same market as Teslas simply because a price.
There's hybrids, which is what I'll buy, then there's plug in hybrids, which allow the vehicle to run solely on electric for around 25-35 miles. They're in competition with the Tesla as they meet the daily needs of most people with enough range. I'm sure the Tesla driving performance is thrilling but fact is most people in town won't ever accelerate that fast or have limited opportunities to do so. The 2023 Prius plug-in gets 57 mpg and will do about 37-38 miles on electric only and has 220 horsepower. And is an attractive vehicle with the redesign. Can get the base model for less than $30k.

Thebrownblob

There's hybrids, which is what I'll buy, then there's plug in hybrids, which allow the vehicle to run solely on electric for around 25-35 miles. They're in competition with the Tesla as they meet the daily needs of most people with enough range. I'm sure the Tesla driving performance is thrilling but fact is most people in town won't ever accelerate that fast or have limited opportunities to do so. The 2023 Prius plug-in gets 57 mpg and will do about 37-38 miles on electric only and has 220 horsepower. And is an attractive vehicle with the redesign. Can get the base model for less than $30k.
Still too expensive for my cheap ass lol I got my wife’s 2016 Prius with about 40,000 miles on it for $12,000 cash
Yes, the new Prius is much better looking in my opinion but not worth another 15 to 17 K I think it gets close to 40+ miles a gallon most of the time I haven’t really paid that much attention. She definitely saving a lot of money on gas since she’s not driving the Tahoe anymore.

vantexan

Still too expensive for my cheap ass lol I got my wife’s 2016 Prius with about 40,000 miles on it for $12,000 cash
Yes, the new Prius is much better looking in my opinion but not worth another 15 to 17 K I think it gets close to 40+ miles a gallon most of the time I haven’t really paid that much attention. She definitely saving a lot of money on gas since she’s not driving the Tahoe anymore.
The 2023 will definitely get higher gas mileage but the price is for new, not used. But for most people buying new the attraction will be that charging is a lot cheaper and their gas bill will come way down. And they can no longer say the Prius is too ugly or weird looking or slow.

Thebrownblob

The 2023 will definitely get higher gas mileage but the price is for new, not used. But for most people buying new the attraction will be that charging is a lot cheaper and their gas bill will come way down. And they can no longer say the Prius is too ugly or weird looking or slow.
My wife’s is a little more upgraded, so it looks better but I’m not a fan of the way it looks it was based on saving gas. And I can buy a lot of gas for 15 or $16,000 saved.

vantexan

My wife’s is a little more upgraded, so it looks better but I’m not a fan of the way it looks it was based on saving gas. And I can buy a lot of gas for 15 or $16,000 saved.
No doubt. My dad has a 2006 Lincoln Town Car in mint condition he bought in 2018 with cash for $25k. He doesn't care about the 16 mpg as much as he does the ride. But would never pay the much higher new price. But even he started looking at the Prius when gas was $4+. But would never buy new. I'm planning to get the Toyota Corolla hybrid. 2023 base LE fwd is $22800. I want new and plan to make it my last car. Just took a temp job starting in March for 8 months.

Thebrownblob

No doubt. My dad has a 2006 Lincoln Town Car in mint condition he bought in 2018 with cash for $25k. He doesn't care about the 16 mpg as much as he does the ride. But would never pay the much higher new price. But even he started looking at the Prius when gas was $4+. But would never buy new. I'm planning to get the Toyota Corolla hybrid. 2023 base LE fwd is $22800. I want new and plan to make it my last car. Just took a temp job starting in March for 8 months.
Those new Corollas are really pretty cool, and for the record I love driving V8 it just is a little painful right now.

qdg2

Half.....ok.

Seems like roofers around here drive big 4wd lifted diesel trucks......an EV.......OMG....not even a Prius.....

Still scummy either way.

Painters(actual painters) seem to be in 40 year old Dodge vans/pickups. Landscape types.

Plumbers/HVAC in service trucks and Sprinters. But these seem to be wrapped for eye appeal. I guess you find a plumber driving down the road?

It's hard to imagine any of these scenarios buying an EV....simply because of cost and lack of utility......throwing paint cans and lumber in the back of a $100k truck.......laughable. Shingles....lololol

Nobody drives EV's around here.....certainly not half....or even 1%.

Say, people choose a plumber based on his truck? Really? They conclude that $20k septic system is justified because the owner drives a $100k lifted truck? Meaning the owner is successful and must command such fees?
Taking your theory a bit further.....say such owner shows up in a 911 Turbo Porche.....for an estimate....

This sort of foolishness reminds of going to a Harley dealer(most are huge chrome and marble palaces) and trying to justify $30k. The notion that this place is nice and commands these prices....

Or the latest power sport(used to be motorcycle dealerships) place and seeing $30k side by sides. Hey, get 2!

newolddude

Half.....ok.

Seems like roofers around here drive big 4wd lifted diesel trucks......an EV.......OMG....not even a Prius.....

Still scummy either way.

Painters(actual painters) seem to be in 40 year old Dodge vans/pickups. Landscape types.

Plumbers/HVAC in service trucks and Sprinters. But these seem to be wrapped for eye appeal. I guess you find a plumber driving down the road?

It's hard to imagine any of these scenarios buying an EV....simply because of cost and lack of utility......throwing paint cans and lumber in the back of a $100k truck.......laughable. Shingles....lololol

Nobody drives EV's around here.....certainly not half....or even 1%.

Say, people choose a plumber based on his truck? Really? They conclude that $20k septic system is justified because the owner drives a $100k lifted truck? Meaning the owner is successful and must command such fees?
Taking your theory a bit further.....say such owner shows up in a 911 Turbo Porche.....for an estimate....

This sort of foolishness reminds of going to a Harley dealer(most are huge chrome and marble palaces) and trying to justify $30k. The notion that this place is nice and commands these prices....

Or the latest power sport(used to be motorcycle dealerships) place and seeing $30k side by sides. Hey, get 2!

One of my brother in laws owns a roofing company. He purposely drives a pretty much base Chevy truck with standard wheels, suspension etc. And he totally laughs at the competitors who show up in a blinged out lifted brand new super duty.

He could totally afford one but feels that he doesn’t need to show off.