Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

rickyb

And it would likely take much longer to get where you are wanting to go
maybe. but if you are on your computer / phone instead of driving then its preferable

in addition we are working 40 hours a week. its been a long time since the work week was cut to 40 hours. so it should be cut again to 30 hours and the difference could be spent on transit.

RangerMan06

The nearest University to me has 5 public busses than operate 24/7 not just for students but also the surrounding community for free and I rarely ever see more than a handful of people on them. It's a good idea on paper but it's just not convenient enough for people to want to get rid of their personal vehicle

rickyb

The nearest University to me has 5 public busses than operate 24/7 not just for students but also the surrounding community for free and I rarely ever see more than a handful of people on them. It's a good idea on paper but it's just not convenient enough for people to want to get rid of their personal vehicle
yea they need to expand it out

why is it not convienent? i can imagine big oil and auto makers lobbying government to make public transit inconvienent

vantexan

as i stated above, public transit could be luxurious and no fees and offer people time to use their phone or computer and safe.

i dont know why you are talking about mexico for lol - im not suprised their transit system sucks, their workers are underpaid too!
Mexico last time I looked had the 17th largest economy in the world and growing. You try to obfuscate rather than addressing the points I made that apply to anywhere, not just Mexico. Public transportation in large urban areas is a viable alternative for the poor in spite of its weaknesses. Everywhere else in a country the size of the U.S. it just isn't workable. A country the size of Portugal can have modern trains with local transport that can get you to and from those trains. In the U.S. the only area where that's possible is the crowded Northeast near the coast.

rickyb

Mexico last time I looked had the 17th largest economy in the world and growing. You try to obfuscate rather than addressing the points I made that apply to anywhere, not just Mexico. Public transportation in large urban areas is a viable alternative for the poor in spite of its weaknesses. Everywhere else in a country the size of the U.S. it just isn't workable. A country the size of Portugal can have modern trains with local transport that can get you to and from those trains. In the U.S. the only area where that's possible is the crowded Northeast near the coast.
public transit in the cities here sucks!
why are you talking about 3rd world public transit? talk about europe.

and if you are disabled and ineligible to drive a car - good luck!!!

RangerMan06

yea they need to expand it out

why is it not convienent? i can imagine big oil and auto makers lobbying government to make public transit inconvienent
I would rather get in my personal vehicle and drive straight to work and back. It would take far longer with multiple stops in a bus. The bus stop would likely still be several blocks away from my house as well as my destination that I would have to walk adding another inconvenience.

vantexan

maybe. but if you are on your computer / phone instead of driving then its preferable

in addition we are working 40 hours a week. its been a long time since the work week was cut to 40 hours. so it should be cut again to 30 hours and the difference could be spent on transit.
Businesses work people 40 hrs for a reason. If they only need people 30 hrs a week then they hire them in as part-timers.

What you refuse to address is the need in all kinds if weather to get from your home to the nearest bus stop or train station. And if after covering the ground necessary to get to those locations you then have to wait for the next bus or train. Sometimes you can time it right and only wait for a few minutes. Sometimes you miss the last bus and have to wait awhile. And sometimes the next bus or train is running behind and you have to wait longer. Then once you arrive you have to get from that location to your destination. If you're fortunate it's close. But it may take a 5 or 6 block walk. Been there, done that. Raining out? Take a cab! OK, how many cabs are needed to transport everyone off the train to their locations? It's not efficient. It's just an alternative for people who can't afford a car or for people who are commuting into a city who don't want to deal with traffic or pay for parking.

vantexan

public transit in the cities here sucks!
why are you talking about 3rd world public transit? talk about europe.

and if you are disabled and ineligible to drive a car - good luck!!!
There are specific transportation services for the disabled. How would expect a disabled person to walk 5 or 6 blocks to a bus stop?

I've been to Europe. Their public transportation is definitely better but then they have more people in a smaller land area. And the same issues are still there. You have to get from your home to the nearest access point. Nowhere nearly as convenient or efficient as getting in your car at home and driving directly to your destination.

rickyb

Businesses work people 40 hrs for a reason. If they only need people 30 hrs a week then they hire them in as part-timers.

What you refuse to address is the need in all kinds if weather to get from your home to the nearest bus stop or train station. And if after covering the ground necessary to get to those locations you then have to wait for the next bus or train. Sometimes you can time it right and only wait for a few minutes. Sometimes you miss the last bus and have to wait awhile. And sometimes the next bus or train is running behind and you have to wait longer. Then once you arrive you have to get from that location to your destination. If you're fortunate it's close. But it may take a 5 or 6 block walk. Been there, done that. Raining out? Take a cab! OK, how many cabs are needed to transport everyone off the train to their locations? It's not efficient. It's just an alternative for people who can't afford a car or for people who are commuting into a city who don't want to deal with traffic or pay for parking.
hey smarty pants - americans used to work 50 60 hours a week for a reason! workers got 40 hours a week because they demanded it

yea it could be convienent. right now its not very convienent as you describe. waiting locations could be safe luxurious etc.

the seniors here have a shuttle bus that takes them to their homes. its still more efficient than private electric cars.

vantexan

I would rather get in my personal vehicle and drive straight to work and back. It would take far longer with multiple stops in a bus. The bus stop would likely still be several blocks away from my house as well as my destination that I would have to walk adding another inconvenience.
Ricky will blow right by your observations and say public transportation is much more efficient. Has a number of times in the past. He's only interested in the liberal mantra of must save the planet by any means necessary. Even if it means herding us all together and controlling every aspect of what we do.

rickyb

yea but youre comparing it to our :censored2:ty public transit system

rickyb

Ricky will blow right by your observations and say public transportation is much more efficient. Has a number of times in the past. He's only interested in the liberal mantra of must save the planet by any means necessary. Even if it means herding us all together and controlling every aspect of what we do.
when civilization collapses because gas cars didnt work - it will control your life!

vantexan

hey smarty pants - americans used to work 50 60 hours a week for a reason! workers got 40 hours a week because they demanded it

yea it could be convienent. right now its not very convienent as you describe. waiting locations could be safe luxurious etc.

the seniors here have a shuttle bus that takes them to their homes. its still more efficient than private electric cars.
Hey smarty pants Americans still work 50+ hours. The difference is if they're hourlies they get overtime while salaried workers often have to work past 40 without extra compensation.

rickyb

Hey smarty pants Americans still work 50+ hours. The difference is if they're hourlies they get overtime while salaried workers often have to work past 40 without extra compensation.
no federal law is 40

and yes i agree you have no work life balance

RangerMan06

when civilization collapses because gas cars didnt work - it will control your life!
I don't doubt civilization will collapse(in some cities it already has IMO) but it won't be because of gas vehicles.
If (when)we are attacked the first thing that will go will be our electric grid.