Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
GM CEO Mary Barra, a close ally of Biden’s, has said the automaker will not begin to attempt to produce 400,000 EVs from 2022 through mid-2024 as initially planned.
GM is also delaying retooling its plant in Orion Township, Michigan, to build EV pickup trucks.
In addition, GM executives are having to delay launching a number of their EV models such as the Chevrolet Equinox EV, the Chevrolet Silverado EV RST, and the GMC Sierra EV Denali.

Box Ox

"When the major auto manufacturers start changing their EV plans, it's probably a sign something's not quite right. For all those who think they're better than everyone else because they drive a Tesla, this video is for you..."

"This is something that was never going to work."

vantexan

"When the major auto manufacturers start changing their EV plans, it's probably a sign something's not quite right. For all those who think they're better than everyone else because they drive a Tesla, this video is for you..."

"This is something that was never going to work."

As usual we rush headlong into something then discover after all the investment, the rancor, that it's not what we thought it would be. And the politicians who pushed this will act like they weren't involved at all.

qdg2

Saw a newsbit suggesting the auto mfg. are angling for a financial bailout for their EV development costs and losses.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Now I wonder how many people are mad that an electrically powered bus couldn't make it up a hill in a city of hills ?

At least the owners of the nine parked vehicles that the ill equipped bus hit and everyone else in SF that was made late for work because of the road closures this mess caused.

vantexan

Finally an electric pickup I really like. Except the price. Ram is coming out with the Ramcharger which has some very different features. It has a V6 Pentastar engine that's not connected to a transmission. Say what? It serves as an onboard generator to two electric motors. Doesn't have a huge EV battery. The battery is much smaller. It is a plug in hybrid of sorts. As in you could just charge the battery at home and get up to 50 miles of electric use with no gas used. Or you can just let the onboard engine charge the battery for up to 690 miles of range. And, as it's not connected to a transmission, the engine doesn't have the load on it of a normal engine so it should last a very long time with routine oil changes etc. You can run both electric motors at the same time for getting close to 700 hp and close to 700 ft lbs of torque. Or just run one for lighter duty and less gas used to keep the battery charged. It'll tow up to 14000 lbs.

Ram/Chrysler/Dodge/Stelantis has always it seems had issues with their transmissions so eliminating that is a big plus for this vehicle. I know the EV climate change purists will hate the gas engine. But this will reduce emissions and at the same time be very economical to run for a gas pickup. But unfortunately like all pickups these days it ain't cheap. Saw an estimated starting price of $60k. But I'm thinking this idea could be applied to other vehicles too. Instead of putting pressure on small 4 cylinder engines with twin turbos, and wearing them out much faster, could just have like a 1.5 ltr 3 cylinder charging a battery that runs electric motors on a sedan. I don't have any problem with buying such a vehicle over a traditional gas engine if it offers as much power and is economical to own. The huge battery packs of EV's are the major driver of their high price. As well as their heavy weight.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 23 years
STAY AWAY FROM EV"s . The world is beginning to realize that we aren't anywhere prepared for it YET. Battery technology and the infrastructure for charging is nowhere near what it has to be to support a mass EV switchover. Even the big 3 auto makers realize it now.

vantexan

STAY AWAY FROM EV"s . The world is beginning to realize that we aren't anywhere prepared for it YET. Battery technology and the infrastructure for charging is nowhere near what it has to be to support a mass EV switchover. Even the big 3 auto makers realize it now.
But check out the Ramcharger. That's technology that makes sense. There's not a full-size pickup out there that can get up to 690 miles on a tank of gas.

rod

Retired 23 years
But check out the Ramcharger. That's technology that makes sense. There's not a full-size pickup out there that can get up to 690 miles on a tank of gas.
Impressive -- but I still wouldn't jump on the EV band wagon yet. If anyone can do it it would be Dodge. They have put out better stuff than Ford or GM for years.

vantexan

Impressive -- but I still wouldn't jump on the EV band wagon yet. If anyone can do it it would be Dodge. They have put out better stuff than Ford or GM for years.
Unfortunately companies are going to smaller gas engines and using turbos that put a lot of pressure on the engine to get more power and torque. This due to the mandates put on them by the government to reduce carbon emissions. The turbo charged engines wear out a lot faster than naturally aspirated engines. The Ramcharger not only gets around this but gets great gas mileage, power, and torque and the gas engine ought to last about forever.

vantexan

Sounds good, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about Pentastars.
I've heard a lot more horror stories about the transmissions attached to the Pentastars. It's the idea that appeals to me. A gas engine that serves only as a generator for the electric motors. Can use that concept in a lot of vehicles. Current hybrids, while definitely a proven technology, rely primarily on the gas engine and have a transmission. Too many moving parts.

Toyota has been the gold standard for reliability. But they've just eliminated the naturally aspirated V-8 in the Tundra and the V-6 in the Tacoma in favor of smaller turbo charged engines. A lot of people buy Toyotas in hopes of having 20+ years of reliable service. That's not likely to happen now.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

This winter, New York won't be using electric snow plows. Failure of vehicle tests has caused the local snow removal company to revert to diesel-powered vehicles.

The New York Department of Sanitation had three years ago, requested several Mack electric trucks. Primarily intended to clean streets and remove garbage, one of these trucks had been fitted with a snow plow as part of an experiment. This decision was unsurprising since in the "Big Apple", it's standard practice to fit garbage trucks with plows.

The experiment was not successful. The plow, dragging across the road and the snow buildup in front of it, created substantial resistance. Moreover, the plow required almost constant movement, eliminating the option for loading pauses. Consequently, the electric vehicle's power supply was insufficient for the demands of a New York winter, known for its heavy snowfall, as reported by the website.

vantexan

Finally an electric pickup I really like. Except the price. Ram is coming out with the Ramcharger which has some very different features. It has a V6 Pentastar engine that's not connected to a transmission. Say what? It serves as an onboard generator to two electric motors. Doesn't have a huge EV battery. The battery is much smaller. It is a plug in hybrid of sorts. As in you could just charge the battery at home and get up to 50 miles of electric use with no gas used. Or you can just let the onboard engine charge the battery for up to 690 miles of range. And, as it's not connected to a transmission, the engine doesn't have the load on it of a normal engine so it should last a very long time with routine oil changes etc. You can run both electric motors at the same time for getting close to 700 hp and close to 700 ft lbs of torque. Or just run one for lighter duty and less gas used to keep the battery charged. It'll tow up to 14000 lbs.

Ram/Chrysler/Dodge/Stelantis has always it seems had issues with their transmissions so eliminating that is a big plus for this vehicle. I know the EV climate change purists will hate the gas engine. But this will reduce emissions and at the same time be very economical to run for a gas pickup. But unfortunately like all pickups these days it ain't cheap. Saw an estimated starting price of $60k. But I'm thinking this idea could be applied to other vehicles too. Instead of putting pressure on small 4 cylinder engines with twin turbos, and wearing them out much faster, could just have like a 1.5 ltr 3 cylinder charging a battery that runs electric motors on a sedan. I don't have any problem with buying such a vehicle over a traditional gas engine if it offers as much power and is economical to own. The huge battery packs of EV's are the major driver of their high price. As well as their heavy weight.
This might not be as good as I thought. Turns out the truck has a 27 gallon gas tank. Under the best of conditions getting 690 miles a tank works out to 25 mpg. Not horrible. Best thing imo is no transmission. Will last longer without it.

rickyb

my friend is in japan. notice how comfy the seats look on what i assume is public transit

1699902921042.png

Commercial Inside Release

notice how comfy the seats look on what i assume is public tran
In the US, that seat would be occupied by some junky that spends all day getting coffee thrown on him, as he begs for money to buy fentanyl. He's usually going through withdrawals, so as soon as he dozes off he probably $#its all over the seat... When someone gives him some food, he promptly pukes it on the other half of the nice, comfy seat... When the train stops, he gets up and pisses in the corner of the car, and slings his $#it covered underwear in the aisle.

rickyb

In the US, that seat would be occupied by some junky that spends all day getting coffee thrown on him, as he begs for money to buy fentanyl. He's usually going through withdrawals, so as soon as he dozes off he probably $#its all over the seat... When someone gives him some food, he promptly pukes it on the other half of the nice, comfy seat... When the train stops, he gets up and pisses in the corner of the car, and slings his $#it covered underwear in the aisle.
yea i dont htink they have many homeless in japan, i could be wrong

here...we have pretty good seats on the small buses.