Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Around here roads are being reduced, in some places to only one travel lane, the newly created special lanes are marked for BUSES and BIKES ONLY.
That puts everyone else into gridlock everyday.
But with buses routes being cut and winter being here, it is a rare sight to see someone on a bike.
A hybrid makes sense along these roads.
They want gridlock.

vantexan

Lol. A V6 penstar, what kind of milage is it going to get? 10 miles a gallon.
After closer examination this truck will at best get about 25 mpg. But it also gets great horsepower and torque. And you're missing the point. The gas motor doesn't get "mileage." It doesn't move the truck. It only charges the battery that powers the electric motors. The "mileage" it gets is from how far it will run before the gas engine runs out of gas powering the battery. It's essentially a generator. They're saying powering just one of the two electric motors will get you 690 miles. That's with 27 gallons of gas. For heavy duty towing and hauling you use both electric motors and that'll drop the range down quite a bit. But if just regular driving you can go pretty far.

vantexan

There's space for all five types to exist in the market.
-diesel only
-gas only
-gas hyrbids
-plug in hybrids
-full EVs
The difference is the first four can easily work right now with the existing grid. And they aren't wanting the first four. Just the last one. But automakers aren't moving EV's and seem now to be more focused on hybrids.

newolddude

The difference is the first four can easily work right now with the existing grid. And they aren't wanting the first four. Just the last one. But automakers aren't moving EV's and seem now to be more focused on hybrids.
My guess is that in 20 years the passenger vehicle market is something like this. (Give or take +/- 5%)
20% gas/diesel only
40% hybrid/plug in hybrid
40% full EV (at two ends of the market: luxury/high end vehicles and small, inexpensive "city" vehicles)

Let the market and consumer decide.

vantexan

My guess is that in 20 years it's something like this. Give or take +/- 5%
20% gas/diesel only
40% EV

It'll only be 40% EV if the grid can support it and prices go way down. Either that or only the wealthy will be driving and the masses will be on public transportation. Which won't work well in many areas.

Thebrownblob

My guess is that in 20 years the passenger vehicle market is something like this. (Give or take +/- 5%)
20% gas/diesel only
40% full EV (at two ends of the market: luxury/high end vehicles and small, inexpensive "city" vehicles)

I agree let the market and the consumer decide instead of having the government subsidize things. If it Has to be subsidized, there might be an issue.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Biden's administration is pushing people away from natural sources { oil, gas, and wood } to heat their homes by creating heat pumps. Which are powered by electricity.
At the same time, they are also pushing everyone towards purchasing EVs.

No where can I find plans to improve the country's electrical power grid.
Many overseas countries have first rate electrical power grids, while we are still stuck with a 19 century one.

This will not end well.

Heck, one bad traffic crash into a telephone pole with a transformer on it, can cause several city blocks to blackout.

qdg2

20% gas/diesel only

Your guesstimates will only be possible with instant(equivalent fueling) charging. Or some other instantaneous charging system. People don't have the time to spend hours charging vehicles on trips etc. If you can only have one vehicle. It would have to be a hybrid at least. Full EV's don't work. Full stop.

Commercial Inside Release

Saw a new battery system at the Tokyo motor show... 900mi and it charges in 10min.

"Toyota is planning a new EV with a 900-mile range and 10-minute charging time: 'The holy grail of battery vehicles' Toyota unveiled plans for new electric vehicle battery technology that could offer up to 900 miles of driving range, and many are calling it a potential game-changer."

I'm kind of tired of working on vehicles, so I'm game.

qdg2

Saw a new battery system at the Tokyo motor show... 900mi and it charges in 10min.

"Toyota is planning a new EV with a 900-mile range and 10-minute charging time: 'The holy grail of battery vehicles' Toyota unveiled plans for new electric vehicle battery technology that could offer up to 900 miles of driving range, and many are calling it a potential game-changer."

I'm kind of tired of working on vehicles, so I'm game.
You don't think EV's will require maintenance?

LOLOLOLOLOL

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Don't really consider maintenance the same thing as repairs.
Don't get any damage to a Tesla.
Only approved shops can do the work and there are very few of those.
Since each vehicle is made to order, spare parts are not available.
You have to wait until they get enough orders for parts before any are built.
Under this policy it might be two years or long before you can drive your EV again.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I know you don't. Don't want to. Have to in order to buy into the myth....

Friend-ev's, drones etc. are machines....eventually there will be ev junk yards .....drone scrap......and ev repair shops everywhere.
Haven't you heard, Tesla ships wrecked EV overseas.