Overallowance and harassment

fty589

I got pulled into the office today with another driver. There was also a steward present. Our manager told me and the other driver that we were running over. I explained to my manager that the route I’m on has gotten heavier due to route cuts and I’m also now covering a bigger area but he shook his head and replied with “there’s something else going on.”

The steward pulled me aside and said that they’ve already started following drivers around and firing them for petty reasons like walking out of a store with a cup of coffee that someone gave them. He said that if they follow me chances are they’ll find some reason to fire me. He also explained that they’re doing this in large part because of the new contract and wanting to get rid of drivers.

I’m not slacking off on my route and I’m honestly surprised that I run over considering I’m running 200 stops a day plus pickups and still making it back with time to spare. However, if I get followed they might catch me doing something wrong even though I try my best to follow the methods. Sure I might not honk my horn at literally every stop but everyone does something that could count against them. It’s just stupid because I’m out there working hard running an over dispatched route every day and they’re acting like I’m a villain.

I’m just going to try to stay on Ps and Qs. If they want to spy on me and hope to catch me doing something then at this point that reflects more poorly on them because I’ve tried to explain how dispatch could fix the route but it’s gotten even worse. What can I do?

trickpony1

When he said, "there's something else going on" I would have said, "wait a minute....you're accusing me of something and then you're asking me to define what it is I'm being accused of....I can't do that. You tell me what I'm being accused of.".

See what he says.

tadpole

If they follow you and spy on you, they can only fire you if they find dishonesty. Everything else, they have to follow progression in discipline. You'd have chances to correct the behaviour after a warning letter, and a suspension, before they could fire you. So don't worry until you start getting warning letters.

DOK

I got pulled into the office today with another driver. There was also a steward present. Our manager told me and the other driver that we were running over. I explained to my manager that the route I’m on has gotten heavier due to route cuts and I’m also now covering a bigger area but he shook his head and replied with “there’s something else going on.”

The steward pulled me aside and said that they’ve already started following drivers around and firing them for petty reasons like walking out of a store with a cup of coffee that someone gave them. He said that if they follow me chances are they’ll find some reason to fire me. He also explained that they’re doing this in large part because of the new contract and wanting to get rid of drivers.

I’m not slacking off on my route and I’m honestly surprised that I run over considering I’m running 200 stops a day plus pickups and still making it back with time to spare. However, if I get followed they might catch me doing something wrong even though I try my best to follow the methods. Sure I might not honk my horn at literally every stop but everyone does something that could count against them. It’s just stupid because I’m out there working hard running an over dispatched route every day and they’re acting like I’m a villain.

I’m just going to try to stay on Ps and Qs. If they want to spy on me and hope to catch me doing something then at this point that reflects more poorly on them because I’ve tried to explain how dispatch could fix the route but it’s gotten even worse. What can I do?
Just keep doing what you’re doing following the methods and working as efficiently as you can, this soon will pass.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!

I finally learned to not try to explain anything to them when they said I was taking to long. The only thing I said to them was “come ride with me and show me what I’m doing wrong and I’ll be glad to change” When they did ride with me I was sure to not speed up at all and actually try to make things as slow as I could get away with without them noticing. With a supervisor or without I was about an hour over allowed every day. They finally found out I wouldn’t do the job any faster with them so they stopped bothering me.

BrownSnowFlake

The way to avoid this is to be faster than the bottom 50% of your building. Just don’t be in the top 10% or you become the designated problem-solver.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
Always respond to such accusations with "I'm doing the best I can while following as many of the methods that you people have cared to share with me."
Thats needs to be shared with everyone in your center. Waiting until people are called into the office and then pulling them aside is not the way its done. Spread that around if it hasn't been done already. Some of it should be common sense (like stealing time) but we all know they get on the flavor of the month deals and start enforcing things they usually let slide. That's why its better to always assume you're being watched.
You should NEVER care about those numbers. Nor should you look at any reports to see them. If they come at you about any numbers just hold your hand up and say "STOP" and that you don't care. Or just walk away if that doesn't work. Once you start caring about their numbers and looking at their reports.....they own you. All that matters is that you are compensated for the time worked and at the appropriate pay. All the other numbers involve variables you can't always control and won't always be the same. And they CAN (and will) change them at will. So why bother trying? Just work safe and by the methods.
Trying to explain to them how to dispatch is like trying to convince the guy operating the guillotine to dull the blade and make it come down 90% slower so that it won't kill you.

542thruNthru

If they follow you and spy on you, they can only fire you if they find dishonesty. Everything else, they have to follow progression in discipline. You'd have chances to correct the behaviour after a warning letter, and a suspension, before they could fire you. So don't worry until you start getting warning letters.
Agree but also stealing time would be considered dishonesty. So OP if you're doing anything other than work while getting paid I'd stop.

fty589

Agree but also stealing time would be considered dishonesty. So OP if you're doing anything other than work while getting paid I'd stop.
I mean they can find the most trivial thing like not using the handrail or something.

I’ll put my phone in the truck to be sure not to check it.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I mean they can find the most trivial thing like not using the handrail or something.

But like DOK said, first offense not using the handrail is not a fire able offense.
If they write you up, make sure they're being specific. Don't let them use some broad terminology that they could then lump a second, completely unrelated incident in with.

542thruNthru

Like was already said. Just focus on doing the job and the most they can do is start progressive discipline that you can grieve and your BA will fight.

As long as you're not talking on your phone while standing around on the clock or getting buying food/drink after using the restroom on the clock or anything else that isn't working you'll be fine.

Don't worry and just work how you were trained and safely.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I will say they've been big on honking at every stop around here lately. Couple guys in our sister centers were recently written up for not doing this.

Word on the street is they're trying to add it to telematics.

JustDeliverIt

2 things have been huge at my center, honking your horn at every stop and folding your mirror in. The only people who have to worry are the ones paid over, those rules are ignored if you’re a scratch driver. But they are hitting drivers with discipline here on it.

A new thing they have also been doing is saying there is a UPS walk pace. 2.5 steps per second is the “method” according to my management team. I laughed when I heard it but it’s out there.

2 things have been huge at my center, honking your horn at every stop and folding your mirror in. The only people who have to worry are the ones paid over, those rules are ignored if you’re a scratch driver. But they are hitting drivers with discipline here on it.

A new thing they have also been doing is saying there is a UPS walk pace. 2.5 steps per second is the “method” according to my management team. I laughed when I heard it but it’s out there.
Everyone has a different Walk pace
They make this crap up as they go