Phil (Duck Dynasty) covered under 1st Amendment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Exactly. You forgot Phil Robertson.

All crappy "reality" TV stars. The parallel between the "star" and the audience is striking. America demands mediocrity, and there will always be someone there to deliver it. That pretty much sums up why modern television is so lame. For every gem like Modern Family or Breaking Bad, there are 20 horrible shows.

That's America.
There are people who have never seen Modern Family or Breaking Bad........meaning me. Some people watch every reality show out there. Turtleman? Where does that one come from?

Sharp shows like Scandal and Parenthood don't get anybody's attention.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are people who have never seen Modern Family or Breaking Bad........meaning me. Some people watch every reality show out there. Turtleman? Where does that one come from?

Sharp shows like Scandal and Parenthood don't get anybody's attention.

I would love to watch Parenthood but it starts too late (10pm) and I am too cheap for a DVR.

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is why we own 4 dvd's.....when you go to bed at 8, you have to record or else miss you favorite shows..

Nimnim

The Nim
No one tried to censor their beliefs, they just pointed out how despicable they were.

Yeah, no. There were indeed attempts made to censor Phil Robertson.

Just grabbing the verb response for "censor definition" in google.
1. examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.

Groups like GLAAD viewed his statements unacceptable and put pressure on A&E to do something about it. Sounds like an act of censorship to me.

Now there wasn't anything illegal about this though, just very unpopular with the masses as evidenced with the reaction to this.

Nimnim

The Nim
So DriveInDriveOut, I'd love to hear your argument for disagreeing with my post. I don't think I posted anything that wasn't factual and whenever I deem I should hit the disagree button I then reply to said post to tell them why and perhaps convince them of my position.

oldngray

nowhere special
So DriveInDriveOut, I'd love to hear your argument for disagreeing with my post. I don't think I posted anything that wasn't factual and whenever I deem I should hit the disagree button I then reply to said post to tell them why and perhaps convince them of my position.

maybe this is the reason?

Operation Push picketed outside a Cracker Barrel yesterday in the Chicago suburbs to protest the flip-flop of the chains decision to carry the Duck Dynasty merchandise.

They feel that Robertsons claim of not witnessing the mistreatment of blacks warranted their actions.

No camera crews were present so apparently Jesse Jackson didn't feel as equally offended enough to show up.

M

MenInBrown

Driveindriveout has no argument.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noah-michelson/heres-everything-we-learn_b_4509998.html

You can say whatever you want, including that gay people are sinful and full of "murder, envy, strife, hatred" and are in the same league as those who enjoy being penetrated by barnyard animals and that black people were "happy" and were not "singing the blues" when Jim Crow laws ruled America, and as long as you later tack on "I love all of humanity" and I would "never incite or encourage hate" and throw around the word "tolerance," and as long as there's enough money and publicity swirling and more ready to be made, you will face absolutely no consequences and if anything you'll be celebrated as a hero and lauded as an icon of freedom -- some will even go so far as to call you the "Rosa Parks" of our generation -- while the people you were talking about will still be vilified and will have to fight even harder against society's belief that they are -- even in the 21st century, even in a country that is not supposed to be ruled by religion or heartless, hateful zealots -- at their very core all of those vile and (let it be said once and for all) patently untrue things that you said about them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's not censorship. Phil continues to spout the same idiotic thoughts. If was censored, those ramblings would not be public.
You may be entitled to your own opinion but not to your own word definitions:

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet or other controlling body. It can be done by governments and private organizations ...

Don't you ever learn?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would hire Phil right now for razor commercials.....and I wouldn't require him to shave !! Happy, happy, happy !

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I saw a great tweet today from British comedian Ricky Gervais. It said, "You should respect a person's right to hold a belief. You don't need to respect the actual belief. Ridiculous beliefs should be ridiculed."

I don't think this clown, Robertson should silenced, I think he should be amplified.

Like the old saying goes: If we don't protect free speech, how will we know who the :censored2:s are?

You may be entitled to your own opinion but not to your own word definitions:

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet or other controlling body. It can be done by governments and private organizations ...

Don't you ever learn?
Hmm...sounds very familiar

island1fox

I saw a great tweet today from British comedian Ricky Gervais. It said, "You should respect a person's right to hold a belief. You don't need to respect the actual belief. Ridiculous beliefs should be ridiculed."

I don't think this clown, Robertson should silenced, I think he should be amplified.

Like the old saying goes: If we don't protect free speech, how will we know who the :censored2:s are?

Dracula,

Your last sentence --a play on words ?? Or directly connected to this discussion ?? Not who -but where -and what they should be used for !!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Dracula,

Your last sentence --a play on words ?? Or directly connected to this discussion ?? Not who -but where -and what they should be used for !!

You're gonna have to clarify what you're saying. It doesn't make any sense. It seemed obvious to me that my comments are directly connected to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.