Photo of the day

Returntosender

fwIV0Kl_zps0a85038e.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The Holy Trinity Monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery in central Greece, situated in the Peneas Valley northeast of the town of Kalambaka. It is situated at the top of a rocky precipice over 400 metres high and forms part of 24 monasteries which were originally built at Meteora, one of the oldest still existing of the Meteora monasteries (Meteora means "suspended in the air" in Greek). Six of the 24 monasteries are still active and open to visitors. The church was constructed between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries and is included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites titled Meteora. The monastery was featured in the 1981 James Bond film, For Your Eyes Only.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
One thing that I always said.

The Pulitzer Prize photos, the greatest classics, were Nikon and film.

Example:

The kiss of life is an example.

This photo shows two power linemen, Randall Champion and J. D. Thompson, at the top of a utility pole. They had been performing routine maintenance when Champion brushed one of the high voltage lines at the very top. These are the lines that can be heard “singing” with electricity. Over 4000 volts entered Champion’s body and instantly stopped his heart (an electric chair uses about 2000 volts).

His safety harness prevented a fall, and Thompson, who had been ascending below him, quickly reached him and performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. He was unable to perform CPR given the circumstances, but continued breathing into Champion’s lungs until he felt a slight pulse, then unbuckled his harness and descended with him on his shoulder. Thompson and another worker administered CPR on the ground, and Champion was moderately revived by the time paramedics arrived, eventually making a full recovery.

This is what life is about and everyman.
Incredible acts because we are human.

I would do the same and God would help me with the heavy lifting.

texan

The Allerheiligen church and the mountains around Lake Tegernsee are
silhouetted against the dusk sky in Warngau, Germany
Picture: REUTERS/Michael Dalder

moreluck

golden ticket member
In the past couple days (can't remember which day) I saw that big moon, only our's was with the ocean as a backdrop...........no photo because I was driving, but it's enough to take your breath away!!

texan

Barcroft photos of the Year
A super cell thunderstorm illuminates the sky, which was formed at about
2pm in the afternoon and was still raging at 10pm at night, in Sanford, Kansas.
The picture was captured by professional storm-chaser Roger Hill during this year's hurricane season.

texan

One more older photo from Barcroft Media Photos of the year.

A panoramic view of Mich Kemeter, 24, as he walks across a lake during
a world record waterline in Tragoess, Austria.

An adventurous climber has smashed a 'waterlining' world record - tiptoeing
an incredible 820 feet along a slack line above a beautiful mirrored lake.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
One more older photo from Barcroft Media Photos of the year.

A panoramic view of Mich Kemeter, 24, as he walks across a lake during
a world record waterline in Tragoess, Austria.

An adventurous climber has smashed a 'waterlining' world record - tiptoeing
an incredible 820 feet along a slack line above a beautiful mirrored lake.

Nice, but the risk factor is too low. Fill the lake with piranhas and cottonmouths. The water looks unnaturally clear. Acid rain?