Possible suspensions of Response beginning in a few weeks

MassWineGuy

Extremely interesting. Our district’s managing director recently released a very awkward, tenuous and far-reaching spin about Response. The tone clearly yelled: I don’t really believe any of this but I’ve been ordered to write it.

And I thought it was going so well, according to Memphis.

Dano, I don’t want you to endanger your job. But how official is the source here?

Fedexcellent

So what happens to those fulltime employees on response routes? Some stations are actually fully staffed, so you couldn't just assign them to open routes

SFFX

70 percent of our wave 2 freight is p1
yes and thats the problem, if express can keep low margin freight off the planes and put in trucks then flights would be on time. If flights were on time you will have larger p1 windows and that would mean less trucks and employees needed. Express should be 100% high margin overnight only, ground can take the rest. I want to go back to the 6am starts and back at the station by 330.

Gone fishin

yes and thats the problem, if express can keep low margin freight off the planes and put in trucks then flights would be on time. If flights were on time you will have larger p1 windows and that would mean less trucks and employees needed. Express should be 100% high margin overnight only, ground can take the rest. I want to go back to the 6am starts and back at the station by 330.
Love to go back to early starts. I can see ground and express merging eventually. The inefficiency of this company is ridiculous , two and three trucks covering the same area. E-commerce has pushed it over the edge.
Ground isn’t the cash cow it used to be , the quality is ruining the brand

Guitarman01

Nationwide?
Ive heard this before.
I wonder if it would just be where response has been a train wreck and understaffed, and maybe response would continue where it has (sort of) been working and fully staffed. Alot of these middays are covering the saturday routes as well.
I cant imagine though, that they would be able to cut in that many day routes everywhere without having to lay some drivers off if response was terminated.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And I thought it was going so well, according to Memphis.
Depends on the market. Works better in some than in others.

Dano, I don’t want you to endanger your job. But how official is the source here?
It's being discussed for some areas. That's all I know for sure. It's not a state secret or anything. All the rest beyond "it's being discussed for some areas" is nothing but speculation, because that part is a state secret.

59 Dano

Wasn't Response one of those Big Picture That Only Management Can Envision projects???

Couriers with even a modicum of intelligence and experience are ROFL.
It was something to address the surge of volume that resulted from COVID. It strained resources (pilots, planes, line haul) unlike ever before and no one knew how long it would last.

Doing nothing (the preferred solution of couriers) would have resulted in longer sorts at MEMH, which would have resulted in even later flights, even later sort starts at the station level, longer sorts at the station level, and later sort down times. Would have also created a need for more AM routes, more trucks, and larger buildings in some cases.

There was no scenario in which additional flights and additional sorts could have been avoided, which any courier with even a modicum of intelligence and experience should have known.

59 Dano

Ive heard this before.
I wonder if it would just be where response has been a train wreck and understaffed, and maybe response would continue where it has (sort of) been working and fully staffed. Alot of these middays are covering the saturday routes as well.
I cant imagine though, that they would be able to cut in that many day routes everywhere without having to lay some drivers off if response was terminated.
I would guess that places where it's not working well are more likely to see it go away and places where it's working well are more likely to see it stay.

59 Dano

That's a big part of the goal of RESPONSE - divert as much lower margin freight as possible to the RESPONSE sorts at INDH or CTVs to better preserve the stations' AM sorts, P1 windows, etc.