Possible suspensions of Response beginning in a few weeks

Nolimitz

yes and thats the problem, if express can keep low margin freight off the planes and put in trucks then flights would be on time. If flights were on time you will have larger p1 windows and that would mean less trucks and employees needed. Express should be 100% high margin overnight only, ground can take the rest. I want to go back to the 6am starts and back at the station by 330.
Today My truck was 60% chewy

Nolimitz

we don't have response. today we got out of the building at 1pm
I have a "shuttle route" sort went "down" at 10:45 I left the bldg. As I was leaving another load was coming in. I kept going.... I was only an 1 1/2 late leaving and could not get any of my Pups. in and out back again. not my problem but had to protect the OB I get from the domiciles.

Nolimitz

Also lets take 5 25yr vets off road for the day and send bevis and butthead out to cover, so they (vets) can go to lunch w/ senior and DM. a mere 3 days after a nation wide weather event.... Brillant

Aquaman

Love to go back to early starts. I can see ground and express merging eventually. The inefficiency of this company is ridiculous , two and three trucks covering the same area. E-commerce has pushed it over the edge.
Ground isn’t the cash cow it used to be , the quality is ruining the brand
Amazon is proof that customers could not possibly care less about quality. Is the box on my porch? Cool. That’s about the extent of customer expectation now.

Aquaman

That's a big part of the goal of RESPONSE - divert as much lower margin freight as possible to the RESPONSE sorts at INDH or CTVs to better preserve the stations' AM sorts, P1 windows, etc.
I’ve got a better idea. Increase the cost of “lower margin freight” to be more profitable. In this market, increase everything. Fedex sets the margin on this crap. They have the option to make everything more profitable. Volumes might decrease… but it sounds like that will help too. Make more money, pay everyone more, hire more, fly more, keep the system flowing……. OR……. Pay some idiot $350K/yr to come up with response. If we’re going to be an expensive premium shipping option, it doesn’t work when your employees can beat the pay at Chik-Fil-A.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It was something to address the surge of volume that resulted from COVID. It strained resources (pilots, planes, line haul) unlike ever before and no one knew how long it would last.

Doing nothing (the preferred solution of couriers) would have resulted in longer sorts at MEMH, which would have resulted in even later flights, even later sort starts at the station level, longer sorts at the station level, and later sort down times. Would have also created a need for more AM routes, more trucks, and larger buildings in some cases.

There was no scenario in which additional flights and additional sorts could have been avoided, which any courier with even a modicum of intelligence and experience should have known.
Couriers aren’t the ones who didn’t restrict shippers from overwhelming the system.
Couriers were aware that something was wrong, not salivating over the financial windfall from their Ivory Towers.

That’s on management. Own it.

MAKAVELI

Amazon is proof that customers could not possibly care less about quality. Is the box on my porch? Cool. That’s about the extent of customer expectation now.
For the most people the service they get from Amazon is why they are prime members and continually order from them. One website to get basically whatever you want in 2 days. FedEx still doesn't understand the concept and why Amazon is so successful.

SFFX

For the most people the service they get from Amazon is why they are prime members and continually order from them. One website to get basically whatever you want in 2 days. FedEx still doesn't understand the concept and why Amazon is so successful.
Amazon is losing a :censored2: ton of money on deliveries. Billions in loses just in the last 2 quarters. Its the reason they are changing prime to $139.

MAKAVELI

Amazon is losing a :censored2: ton of money on deliveries. Billions in loses just in the last 2 quarters. Its the reason they are changing prime to $139.
Amazon doesn't care if they lose money on deliveries. They still come out ahead vs paying someone else to deliver their goods. Like everything else costs go up. It's the reason they are changing prime to $139.

Aquaman

That’s how you handle losses. If FedEx despises it’s lower margin freight so much, make it expensive. Make it all more expensive. Then roll that profit back into the operation… oh, and maybe tell customers NO every now and then when they want to ship 7 trailers worth of dog food.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’ve got a better idea. Increase the cost of “lower margin freight” to be more profitable. In this market, increase everything. Fedex sets the margin on this crap. They have the option to make everything more profitable. Volumes might decrease… but it sounds like that will help too. Make more money, pay everyone more, hire more, fly more, keep the system flowing……. OR……. Pay some idiot $350K/yr to come up with response.
"Let's raise the price of it so high that no one will pay it! WE'LL BE ROLLING IN THE DOUGH!"

59 Dano

Couriers aren’t the ones who didn’t restrict shippers from overwhelming the system.
Couriers were aware that something was wrong, not salivating over the financial windfall from their Ivory Towers.

That’s on management. Own it.
"Hi, there's a pandemic. We're not going to allow you to ship anything."

You sound like the local Ryan Tannehill BooHoo Crew who are blaming the Titans playoff loss on the playcalling (which could have been better in spots) and not on the QB, who threw 3 INTs.

59 Dano

All we have to do is have FedEx build a gazillion huge distribution centers and stock everything people want in them.

59 Dano

That’s how you handle losses. If FedEx despises it’s lower margin freight so much, make it expensive. Make it all more expensive. Then roll that profit back into the operation
The assumption being that people will pay the higher prices, which they won't.

Aquaman

T
The assumption being that people will pay the higher prices, which they won't.
This pandemic is proof that people will pay more for everything. Have you seen what car dealers are doing with markups. Still can’t keep cars on the lots. Have you been to the grocery store? The gas station? If this company is too overwhelmed, it needs to HEAVILY raise prices… or surrender freight to the competition. This goofy workaround to only sort & fly the most profitable first. And let the rest show up whenever is a disaster. It depended on another part of the equation not being a problem…. Hiring. But we all know how clueless upper managment is about how desirable of a job this is.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

If FedEx was serious about 2nd wave, they wouldn't be renting 60 trucks for $500-700/wk for the past year and half.

If FedEx was serious about 2nd wave, they would have actually bought enough LEOs(or left the Powerpads active) we have 2nd wave drivers sitting in station waiting sometimes hours for someone to finish for the day.

If FedEx was serious about 2nd wave(and 1st) they'd give more than 2 days training, we have new crrs <2 yrs that still don't know the job.

FedEx clearly isn't serious about 2nd wave..

FedEx was planning on volume dropping so low that AM drivers would run P1, return to building and 2nd wave would take their trucks and equipment... unfortunately volume hasn't let up, which is a good thing but FedEx can't figure it out.

Thesearecrazytimes

It was something to address the surge of volume that resulted from COVID. It strained resources (pilots, planes, line haul) unlike ever before and no one knew how long it would last.

Doing nothing (the preferred solution of couriers) would have resulted in longer sorts at MEMH, which would have resulted in even later flights, even later sort starts at the station level, longer sorts at the station level, and later sort down times. Would have also created a need for more AM routes, more trucks, and larger buildings in some cases.

There was no scenario in which additional flights and additional sorts could have been avoided, which any courier with even a modicum of intelligence and experience should have kno

During this whole fiasco, I was getting far better service from Amazon than I could ever deliver myself at Fedex. Sad.