Prayers for Birmingham facility

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To be extremely devoted to God is a command (not a request) from Jesus himself, so I would have to disagree with you on that.
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’”
Jesus also said, "Everything in moderation."

Let your moderation be known to all men."
Philippians 4:5

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
To be extremely devoted to God is a command (not a request) from Jesus himself, so I would have to disagree with you on that.
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’”

That was a very small portion of what I tried to communicate.

Respect.

These are my opinions. Others are available.

Last edited:
O

OLDMAN3

Tell me Photog where did Jesus say "Everything in moderation"?
I won't trade Bible quotes with you to try to prove my point but:
Where did Jesus say that?

10 point

I would just like to say that I have been with UPS for 35 years and have dealt with pressure to perform or lose my job, but at no point did I ever think about hurting anyone, let alone killing someone. To blame UPS for this is a joke, the blame lies with the person who pulled the trigger. Wake up and understand there are people that work everywhere that are not mentally stable.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes. And we've seen management that's extremely unstable. Often.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Tell me Photog where did Jesus say "Everything in moderation"?
I won't trade Bible quotes with you to try to prove my point but:
Where did Jesus say that?
I was aware that Jesus did not say the exact words, however as with anything in the Bible, you glean from the related verses.
Moderation is the opposite of excess, and the Bible clearly teaches that we should be known for our moderation – it doesn't explicitly say moderation in all things, but it does say that our very nature should be marked by moderation.

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. – 1 Corinthians 9:25a

Let your moderation be known to all men." - Philippians 4:5

For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty. – Proverbs 23:21a

Jesus taught moderation and temperance.
Being temperate means to be under self control, or to have rule over your own spirit. It is strongly implied that if we can control ourselves, we would not fall into excess and thus be moderate and as a matter of fact, self control or temperance is a sign that we have the Holy Spirit within us.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. – Galatians 5:22-23 KJV

One may certainly argue that one cannot be excessive in being filled with the Holy Spirit. That is a dichotomy we can discuss further if you like.

O

OLDMAN3

I was aware that Jesus did not say the exact words, however as with anything in the Bible, you glean from the related verses.
Moderation is the opposite of excess, and the Bible clearly teaches that we should be known for our moderation – it doesn't explicitly say moderation in all things, but it does say that our very nature should be marked by moderation.

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. – 1 Corinthians 9:25a

Let your moderation be known to all men." - Philippians 4:5

For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty. – Proverbs 23:21a

Jesus taught moderation and temperance.
Being temperate means to be under self control, or to have rule over your own spirit. It is strongly implied that if we can control ourselves, we would not fall into excess and thus be moderate and as a matter of fact, self control or temperance is a sign that we have the Holy Spirit within us.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. – Galatians 5:22-23 KJV

One may certainly argue that one cannot be excessive in being filled with the Holy Spirit. That is a dichotomy we can discuss further if you like.
I don't want to derail the tread too much...
Suffice to say we are in general agreement about the cardinal virtue of temperance and that it is a false dichotomy to suggest that extreme devotion to God is somehow opposed to this virtue.

I just get the feeling that this UPS driver will be painted as crazy BECAUSE he was religious.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't want to derail the tread too much...
Suffice to say we are in general agreement about the cardinal virtue of temperance and that it is a false dichotomy to suggest that extreme devotion to God is somehow opposed to his virtue.

I just get the feeling that this UPS driver will be painted as crazy BECAUSE he was religious.
I can agree with that sentiment. I see no way that excessive religiousness could be the cause of his last action.
Perhaps his manic obsessiveness caused him to obsess on religion as an expression of himself on facebook.
He could even have been bi-polar which has outward similarities to manic obsessiveness.
Most likely, his excessive expression of religious beliefs was little more than a symptom of his underlying issues.

10 point

And David had a man murdered because he knocked up the guy's wife; Peter denied he even knew Jesus; the list goes on and on.

But God is forgiving, looks on a person's heart (intentions). Don't trash the driver until you know what led up to this day in his life when he didn't care anymore.

There's been plenty of violent acts in our workplaces. Just not so many involved guns.

10 point

I heard of a part-time worker in a hub who punched out a supervisor because every time the supe walked past him he clipped him with his shoulder on purpose.

There's other similar acts talked about locally.

The response is normally spontaneous.

This one couldn't be kept suppressed. The culture at ground level is now being uncapped and people are going to talk.

Life today is precipitating more and more people with hearts of stone mainly due to stress.

10 point

But who is going to listen?
Time will tell.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

But when someone is terminated from their job at UPS (or anywhere) there should be a caring attitude portrayed toward the one who lost the job from the management who had the responsibility to go that route.

The major amounts of stress people are feeling today (in management as well) is building walls, not relationships.

That's when people snap. It validates permanent solutions for temporary problems.

That's when people kill people...and kill themselves.

Perceived hopelessness breeds what we witnessed today IMO.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Time will tell.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

But when someone is terminated from their job at UPS (or anywhere) there should be a caring attitude portrayed toward the one who lost the job from the management who had the responsibility to go that route.

The major amounts of stress people are feeling today (in management as well) is building walls, not relationships.

That's when people snap. It validates permanent solutions for temporary problems.

That's when people kill people...and kill themselves.

Perceived hopelessness breeds what we witnessed today IMO.
Hopelessness ... that sums it up pretty well.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is when you slash tires, key cars, put ping pong balls in the gas tank. or sugar.(if that still works) Egg them, brake fluid on the paint, there are ways to deal with these ingrates. Those are acceptable . Most you can do is pay a fine, and costs, and cost them misery.
I dont know.
I just feel so bad for the families, not so much for the shooter.
No, I don't feel bad for the shooter either....he did a calculating thing....at a time of morning where he knew he'd have a better chance of pulling it off. Rumor has it one of the dead sups was a young kid...not sure about that though. It's enough to make you sick thinking about it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would just like to say that I have been with UPS for 35 years and have dealt with pressure to perform or lose my job, but at no point did I ever think about hurting anyone, let alone killing someone. To blame UPS for this is a joke, the blame lies with the person who pulled the trigger. Wake up and understand there are people that work everywhere that are not mentally stable.
The above is the best post in this thread based on the "Lucky Charms" rating.