President Trump

vantexan

I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart.

Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso. These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history.

Opinion | Laura Bush: Separating children from their parents at the border ‘breaks my heart’
Washington Post had an article about children being held for months as punishment for parents crossing illegally. Dated March 10, 2015. Bill Clinton actually signed the law in 1996 that allows children to be separated from their parents. But some would have you believe it's all Trump and Sessions.

Box Ox

I do know it is standard procedure to take kids away from parents that get arrested for a crime.

The federal law criminalizing "improper entry" by aliens does not require family separation. The law also provides for the use of civil penalties, as well as criminal ones. While it states that the application of civil penalties does not preclude application of criminal ones, it also does not compel federal prosecutors to pursue both. Until the administration's recent policy change, civil proceedings were in fact the usual approach in case of families with minor children, under both Democratic and Republican administrations. The use of civil proceedings generally does not require pretrial detention, and therefore obviates the need to detain either parents or children; some civil defendants were detained, nonetheless, but in facilities where families can stay together. The Trump administration, by contrast, has sometimes even forcibly separated children from migrants who have not violated any law, but instead have legally crossed the border to petition for asylum in the United States.

newfie

The federal law criminalizing "improper entry" by aliens does not require family separation. The law also provides for the use of civil penalties, as well as criminal ones. While it states that the application of civil penalties does not preclude application of criminal ones, it also does not compel federal prosecutors to pursue both. Until the administration's recent policy change, civil proceedings were in fact the usual approach in case of families with minor children, under both Democratic and Republican administrations. The use of civil proceedings generally does not require pretrial detention, and therefore obviates the need to detain either parents or children; some civil defendants were detained, nonetheless, but in facilities where families can stay together. The Trump administration, by contrast, has sometimes even forcibly separated children from migrants who have not violated any law, but instead have legally crossed the border to petition for asylum in the United States.

same tired argument. yes if you get arrested you get separated from your family.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Washington Post had an article about children being held for months as punishment for parents crossing illegally. Dated March 10, 2015. Bill Clinton actually signed the law in 1996 that allows children to be separated from their parents. But some would have you believe it's all Trump and Sessions.
Whataboutism.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
It seems Latin Americans are more familiar with this law than 99% of American citizens.
They certainly took advantage of it.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
But if it sends a left wing kook into fits of hysteria, it’s worth it.
Racist, misogynistic, and now anti child. Man you are quite the catch....
download (3).jpeg

newfie

God forbid the mental stability of innocent babies stand in your way of providing how big Trumps testicles are. And that no one and I mean NO one tells him what to do....
USA, USA, USA!!!!!!

you libs are upset that the repubs are getting in on the "use Mexican children as pawns" act.
I don't know why you thought you would have a monopoly on it forever.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
you libs are upset that the repubs are getting in on the "use Mexican children as pawns" act.
I don't know why you thought you would have a monopoly on it forever.
Just upset he has found a new way to humiliate our once proud country by linking us with or human rights violators. I see why Putin wanted the Donald in office.

newfie

Through Democratic and Republican administrations.

Seems to be the right’s standard these days. Consequences be damned so long as you can Wrestlemania the :censored2:s.

commit a crime and you go to jail by yourself. what other flak would you like to throw?