President Trump

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If the writers of the amendment said, in Congressional records, that the 14th Amendment was to specifically address the citizenship of former slaves, and not foreigners having babies here, then the strict constitutionalists would look at the intent, and rule accordingly.
I am aware that the writer of the amendment, Sen. Howard, did so with the intent of countering the Dred Scott case by the SCOTUS, effectively limiting it to African American slaves that had been freed.
Since then, the SCOTUS has quoted the case in the 1998 and held that under the Fourteenth Amendment, a man born within the United States to Chinese citizens who have a permanent domicile and residence in the United States and are carrying on business in the United States—and whose parents were not employed in a diplomatic or other official capacity by a foreign power—was a citizen of the United States. Subsequent decisions have applied the principle to the children of foreign nationals of non-Chinese descent.

floridays

I am aware that the writer of the amendment, Sen. Howard, did so with the intent of countering the Dred Scott case by the SCOTUS, effectively limiting it to African American slaves that had been freed.
Since then, the SCOTUS has quoted the case in the 1998 and held that under the Fourteenth Amendment, a man born within the United States to Chinese citizens who have a permanent domicile and residence in the United States and are carrying on business in the United States—and whose parents were not employed in a diplomatic or other official capacity by a foreign power—was a citizen of the United States. Subsequent decisions have applied the principle to the children of foreign nationals of non-Chinese descent.
With legal entry by the parents.

oldngray

nowhere special

That was still about people who were in the US legally.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The same people who are encouraging Trump to issue the EO are also saying an EO is not the way to do it.
Not trying to put words in their mouths but this is what I believe they want.
Trump issues EO.
9th circuit suspends it
Goes to the SCOTUS where they issue an opinion that throws it back to the Congress.
Congress then has a mandate and motivation to consider Graham's bill.

Just My Observation
With legal entry by the parents.
That was still about people who were in the US legally.
I agree and that is why I want Trump to do his EO and then the 9th Circuit Court will suspend that and then it can go to the SCOTUS.
The SCOTUS can agree with Trump or more likely, kick it back to Congress.
I think the SCOTUS agreeing with Trump is highly unlikely because they would be creating a new law that did not exist before. Their opinion could be that the 14th Amendment does not apply to the children of illegal aliens but will not go so far as ruling that the children of illegal aliens are not citizens.

It will be fine

Sounds like conservatives don’t like brown babies. I’m not swayed by the public assistance cost argument. Is there another argument against immigrants? As far as I can tell we have a worker shortage and need immigrants to continue to expand the economy. Change my mind.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Sounds like conservatives don’t like brown babies. I’m not swayed by the public assistance cost argument. Is there another argument against immigrants? As far as I can tell we have a worker shortage and need immigrants to continue to expand the economy. Change my mind.
I think conservatives don't like babies whose parents live off the government or if the parents are liberals.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Say "NO" to crime!!!!

Sportello

I think conservatives don't like babies whose parents live off the government or if the parents are liberals.
I agree and that is why I want Trump to do his EO and then the 9th Circuit Court will suspend that and then it can go to the SCOTUS.
The SCOTUS can agree with Trump or more likely, kick it back to Congress.
I think the SCOTUS agreeing with Trump is highly unlikely because they would be creating a new law that did not exist before. Their opinion could be that the 14th Amendment does not apply to the children of illegal aliens but will not go so far as ruling that the children of illegal aliens are not citizens.
How far back would you propose going? @floridays may be personally affected.

El Correcto

god is dead
Worker shortage = Worker Demand competitive job offers = real raises, not artificial minimum wage raises.

Mass immigration from third world countries = answer to keep wages low for lower class and middle class Americans by causing a dip in the demands.

Sportello

Worker shortage = Worker Demand competitive job offers = real raises, not artificial minimum wage raises.

Mass immigration from third world countries = answer to keep wages low for lower class and middle class Americans by causing a dip in the demands.
I think you may be at the top limits of your wage potential.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
How far back would you propose going? @floridays may be personally affected.
I am not in Congress or the SCOTUS so it doesn't matter.
I think existing children born in the USA to illegal aliens prior to the implementation date of the law are grandfathered. That could be the spice that allows the Libs to vote for the bill and it could take care of the DACA kids as well.
This is what Trump has been saying for the last couple of years.

El Correcto

god is dead
No one is giving you a raise because they can hire someone else for less money. There are no jobs, they are all filled. You are worth less tomorrow than today.

Got it?
Worker demand drives up wages, do you need Bernie Sanders to explain that to you. Even his whacko mind can grasp supply and demand applies to workers. If only he could see what government subsidies do to healthcare and college tuition prices with this same logic.