Pushed back start time

gatorkev85

I work in a hub that has an arb system and i work in SS, today we were told that anyone working the arb (which is nothing but seasonal employees) would come in 5 minutes before hub start and the rest would be pushed back 25 minutes after hub start time. My question is can I file a grievance to allow to to take one of their spots? And also would them sending the volume to the arb system the 1st 25 minutes of the shift violate anything from the contract cause basically I'm losing almost 2 hours a week to a machine that's doing the work and they are not offering us to be able to come in and do anything else to make up the time.

km3

You should be asking your steward these questions. My thought is that if seasonal employees are performing a job that you're qualified to perform, and you're not seasonal, you should be getting the opportunity before them.

As for the start time...again, speak with your steward. Here, they can't change start times in the middle of the week. Once the schedule is posted on Friday, that's it. They can make us begin earlier than our start, but in my local, we're entitled to time and half if forced to start early.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I work in a hub that has an arb system and i work in SS, today we were told that anyone working the arb (which is nothing but seasonal employees) would come in 5 minutes before hub start and the rest would be pushed back 25 minutes after hub start time. My question is can I file a grievance to allow to to take one of their spots? And also would them sending the volume to the arb system the 1st 25 minutes of the shift violate anything from the contract cause basically I'm losing almost 2 hours a week to a machine that's doing the work and they are not offering us to be able to come in and do anything else to make up the time.

You can ask, but for the most part, you cannot force UPS to put you on another job in areas where the jobs are not bid.

If these employees are getting more time than you, you have a legitimate grievance.