Random Facts

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today's useless fact - Why don't figure skaters get dizzy when they spin?

Experienced ice skaters work on their spins for years. Over time, they become desensitized to the feeling of dizziness. Olympic skater Sasha Cohen says she's so used to spinning that she never gets dizzy.

The World Figure Skating Blog explains that novices often become dizzy due to poor technique. They either look down or look up when they start revolving, or rock their bodies. The blog recommends a few tips for steadying your twirl:

* Focus as normally as you can, straight out at eye level.

* Keep your body and head still.

* Keep your shoulders level.

* "Stop your spin with a jerk, jabbing one toe point in the ice and giving your head a definite toss to clear away the cobwebs."

* Don't eat heavily before spinning. (Just kidding.)

According to a Recreational Figure Skating FAQ, mild dizziness after a series of revolutions can also "be quickly overcome if you skate off or do one or two turns in the opposite direction." So get centered, and choreograph with a plan to shake that spinning feeling. The judges are watching.

klein

Für Meno :)

Chef Boyardee Canada

Did you know: During the Second World War, Chef Boyardee prepared millions of rations for American and Allied troops and was awarded the Gold Star Order of Excellence from the US War Department.

On this Remembrance Day, we honor the efforts of those who served during some of the darkest days in history, and the memory of those made the ultimate sacrifice.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Right now, looking at my Doppler Radar (compliments of Camp Pendleton), I see a humongous storm system moving in from the south (strange) and ready to pounce on the San Clemente area.

It rained last night and it's been kind of crappy all day. We got the dog walked real fast because it's coming!!

klein

Edmonton breaks record for the latest snowfall ever recorded in History :

According to Environment Canada, the first flakes of light snow fell on Edmonton early Saturday, November 12, 2011 from 6 to 7 a.m.

It’s just the fourth time in recorded history that Edmonton hasn’t had at least some snow in either September or October, even if that snow later melted, according to CTV meteorologist Josh Classen. In 1902, Edmonton got its first snowfall of the season on Nov. 3. In 1921 and 1963, the first snow came Nov. 6, Classen said.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Don't tell the DOT doctor that you snore. He is able to pull your certificate on that information alone.

Seen it done.

I assume that "snoring" was just one of several indicators the doc used to determine the person had sleep apnea?

I have sleep apnea and hold my DOT.
Was diagnosed with it a few years after joining team purple-orange.
Every year after my DOT physical, I just have to have my sleep apnea Dr. fill out a form saying that I am using my C-PAP machine. They get this info. off of a credit card sized memory chip that is in the machine.
Just sayin'.

klein

breast-awareness-gallery-0012.jpg

The World's Largest Bra (Size 1222B) Unveiled in London

klein

Did you know that "Play Doh" was originally created for cleaning wall paper?

Play-Doh was originally designed as a wallpaper cleaner. However, its similarity to regular modeling clay without the toxicity or mess made Play-Doh a great toy. Joe McVicker became a millionaire before his 27th birthday after re-releasing the product as a toy.

Did you know that "Play Doh" was originally created for cleaning wall paper?

Play-Doh was originally designed as a wallpaper cleaner. However, its similarity to regular modeling clay without the toxicity or mess made Play-Doh a great toy. Joe McVicker became a millionaire before his 27th birthday after re-releasing the product as a toy.

Can`t help but notice you left of the fact he was an American. You seem to include the nationality of every Canadian invention and inventor you post about so maybe you should do that for other countries as well.

whiskers

People all over the world, including China, can play online poker legally. Not in the US though, supposedly the most "free country" in the world.