Republicare

It will be fine

How is it a positive to force people to pay for coverage they can't afford?
The ACA caps the cost of coverage to around 10% of a person's income. That's a fair measure of affordability to prevent medical bankruptcies and keep the markets viable.

Can you answer my question, without deflecting, on the positives to the public at large having fewer young healthy people in the system?

vantexan

The ACA caps the cost of coverage to around 10% of a person's income. That's a fair measure of affordability to prevent medical bankruptcies and keep the markets viable.

Can you answer my question, without deflecting, on the positives to the public at large having fewer young healthy people in the system?
You are forcing people to buy something they don't want or need. Strip the plans of unnecessary items and the costs go down. All along y'all have been claiming that Republicare will cause umpteen millions to LOSE their coverage. No, it will allow people to choose not to buy coverage, that's where the millions without coverage come from. But you don't want plans to be stripped of unnecessary items because you want insurers to lose money and drop out. It's not about your concern for those who can't afford healthcare. It's about the healthcare insurance industry collapsing to get to single payer. By the way Obamacare was supposed to be at worst revenue neutral. Hasn't turned out that way. Just another boondoggle.

bbsam

Staff member
You are forcing people to buy something they don't want or need. Strip the plans of unnecessary items and the costs go down. All along y'all have been claiming that Republicare will cause umpteen millions to LOSE their coverage. No, it will allow people to choose not to buy coverage, that's where the millions without coverage come from. But you don't want plans to be stripped of unnecessary items because you want insurers to lose money and drop out. It's not about your concern for those who can't afford healthcare. It's about the healthcare insurance industry collapsing to get to single payer. By the way Obamacare was supposed to be at worst revenue neutral. Hasn't turned out that way. Just another boondoggle.
But the government forces companies with more than 50 employees to provide health insurance. What's the difference?

vantexan

What's ironic is the same people who don't want the government telling them they can't get an abortion or can't marry someone of the same sex have no problem having the government tell people they must buy a private market product.

bbsam

Staff member
What's ironic is the same people who don't want the government telling them they can't get an abortion or can't marry someone of the same sex have no problem having the government tell people they must buy a private market product.
Look in the mirror. The reflection is the same and reversed.

vantexan

Either way, why force corporations (they are people you know) to do it if you object to the individual mandate?
The ACA forced many businesses to reduce hours to avoid the 50 full-time threshold. That hurt workers. And the employees can opt out of their employer plan. A business is in a much better position to offer insurance than many poorly paid people can pay for it.

It will be fine

That's a whole lot of deflection. How are we all better off with fewer young healthy people in the insurance pool?

vantexan

That's a whole lot of deflection. How are we all better off with fewer young healthy people in the insurance pool?
In other words if it doesn't jibe with your view it's deflecting. And the choice to not participate isn't limited to the young. Forcing people to buy something they don't want is taking away our liberty. Do we really want to go there?

bbsam

Staff member
The ACA forced many businesses to reduce hours to avoid the 50 full-time threshold. That hurt workers. And the employees can opt out of their employer plan. A business is in a much better position to offer insurance than many poorly paid people can pay for it.
Maybe those people need to better themselves and get better paying jobs.

It will be fine

In other words if it doesn't jibe with your view it's deflecting. And the choice to not participate isn't limited to the young. Forcing people to buy something they don't want is taking away our liberty. Do we really want to go there?
It's called personal responsibility. Your freedom to swing your fist ends at my face. Everyone will use healthcare, their choice to remain uninsured increases my cost and I end up paying for them, some freedom.

vantexan

It's called personal responsibility. Your freedom to swing your fist ends at my face. Everyone will use healthcare, their choice to remain uninsured increases my cost and I end up paying for them, some freedom.
If you can't afford it you have the freedom to not buy it. See how that works? Forcing everyone to buy it so that it's more affordable for you(and it's still not that affordable) is selfish.