retirement

floridays

Are you retired or not? If so, you should have retired at 55 to take advantage of the benefit. Never know when you will be worm food.
I thought I made it clear, I'm not racing to maximize what I can live off of or enjoy in retirement.
I look forward to it, but I still enjoy what I am doing. I guess you don't understand that concept,
you broke formation on a scratch off winning only to return.

floridays

Over 10% growth per year is not a FEW MORE $,
Pants down time, exactly how much did your wife win on her scratch off winning, and did it offset any growth you would gain from delaying pension benefits?

For your benefit, if the scratch off story is truthful I already know the answer.

Just say it.

floridays

Your advice was retire when you can to make sure you get a taste. Did you not take your own advice?
That was not my advice.
I didn't give any advice on when to retire.
I thought it was clear, if the only reason to hang around is a higher payoff, one might not make it.

That is the precise reason I asked you to give me the precise date you will become worm food.

You have proven, if the scratch off story is correct, you cannot live within the means you currently have upon your direction.

Correct me if I am wrong, there are many posts on this site proclaiming your financial security, before the "great scratch off windfall." We've yet to hear of the fiasco that propelled you back into Fedex arms.

We are anxiously awaiting the details of exactly how you squandered your salvation.

vantexan

You're leaving out the part where you, as a topped-out employee who'd be getting those 3% raises on better pay, left the company and you're still complaining about the effects of it 20 years later.
I've repeatedly said I shouldn't have quit. But you're leaving out it wasn't just done to me. You're leaving out the company giving us a choice whether to stay in the traditional but not honoring that choice. You're actually defending them giving topped out employees 3% and people having put in 10-15 years getting 2% on much less pay and falling further behind top out. That also meant smaller 401k and portable pension contributions along with much lower pay. You're leaving out the company having mgrs telling new hires they'd top out in 7-8 years when that became glaringly obvious they had no intention to ever top us out. You're leaving out that before this newest pay plan they came up with a plan that would accelerate raises once you reached the midpoint in the payscale. Were really proud that it would only take 7 years from there to top out. But never brought up the fact that they had it set up so that it would take 20 years or more to reach the midpoint. We're Charlie Brown, and the company is Lucy with the football. So why do I still bring up what was happening just 5 years ago and a good deal longer? Because people like you get on here and smugly tell us we didn't deserve any better, etc, etc, ad nauseam. As long as I'm seeing that and no appreciation for the hard work we put in without the reward then I will keep pointing out just how greedy and evil your favorite company was and is.

vantexan

As though they said, "Hey, let's lure in some new people with this and then change it!!!!" They are obligated to make decisions that they think are best for the company. It's no different than hiring a guy on a route that normally gets 46 hours a week and and at some point changing it to a 4X10 or vice versa. No different than offering a M-friend route and eventually changing it to Wednesday off and adding Saturday as a work day.

They didn't tell me "Here's a bunch of promises and none of them will ever change" when they hired me.
Baloney. No company makes a spur of the moment decision on something that affects everyone. This was in the works for years. They gave us a choice whether to stay in the traditional or go into the new portable pension for one reason only. To lure as many as possible into the new plan so that when the time came to force the rest of us in those who voluntarily left the traditional wouldn't receive the "make-up credits" that were given as compensation for being forced out of the traditional. Saved them millions. They had no intention to honor our choice and only drug it out a little over a year from the choice to make it look like they hadn't intentionally screwed a bunch of employees and open themselves up to litigation. The traditional pension was part of our compensation and to equate it with losing a few hours because of route restructuring is ludicrous. Nest of snakes, and you're slithering with the rest of them.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I never learned that lesson, it's obvious.
I argue, argued. Better than some not as well as some others.
Lack of complete preparation, insufficient facts, or just a dog you are arguing lead to losses. Facts of argument.
I always loved and still love to argue, it's stimulation.
I've noticed in the past few years I've lost effectiveness, I believe I may have boarded Biden's boat.
That's life........at least my mother didn't view me as a choice, she knew she had a baby boy inside her.

Thank you Mom and Dad..... RIP.

Just a tweak for some. :thumbup1:
@falcon back is the one suffering from dementia. He can't even keep you and I straight.

But then we are brothers from another mother.

floridays

@falcon back is the one suffering from dementia. He can't even keep you and I straight.

But then we are brothers from another mother.
I'm lacking, I can see it.
If I'm the third out on a force out at second, pick me up. If you played baseball you know what I'm talking about. Doubtful anyone else does.
I enjoy your wit and brevity. Actually it borders jealousy.

vantexan

Oh look, Gomer thinks a company should never change a policy because someone probably took a job thinking that all policies were written in stone and would last forever!
One decision that's painful for employees is one thing. A record of decisions over decades where the employees are taken from so the company can look better on the balance sheet to Wall Street is something that seems to occur quite often with FedEx.

floridays

One decision that's painful for employees is one thing. A record of decisions over decades where the employees are taken from so the company can look better on the balance sheet to Wall Street is something that seems to occur quite often with FedEx.
Ask @59 Dano if raises are budgeted for or are they an afterthought..

Under a contract, raises hold the same significance as capital expenditures, which are always budgeted for and are never an afterthought.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Nice post, you can't argue on merit so you go to name calling.

Integrity, you lack it, no wonder Fedex called you back.

A simple question for you, you claim to be a Christian, here goes:

It's not possible that God can lie, but what would you say if Jesus renigged on His "policy."

That scenario isn't quite dumb enough. Can you come up with something even dumber?

59 Dano

I've repeatedly said I shouldn't have quit. But you're leaving out it wasn't just done to me. You're leaving out the company giving us a choice whether to stay in the traditional but not honoring that choice. You're actually defending them giving topped out employees 3% and people having put in 10-15 years getting 2% on much less pay and falling further behind top out. That also meant smaller 401k and portable pension contributions along with much lower pay. You're leaving out the company having mgrs telling new hires they'd top out in 7-8 years when that became glaringly obvious they had no intention to ever top us out. You're leaving out that before this newest pay plan they came up with a plan that would accelerate raises once you reached the midpoint in the payscale. Were really proud that it would only take 7 years from there to top out. But never brought up the fact that they had it set up so that it would take 20 years or more to reach the midpoint. We're Charlie Brown, and the company is Lucy with the football. So why do I still bring up what was happening just 5 years ago and a good deal longer? Because people like you get on here and smugly tell us we didn't deserve any better, etc, etc, ad nauseam. As long as I'm seeing that and no appreciation for the hard work we put in without the reward then I will keep pointing out just how greedy and evil your favorite company was and is.
"Evil." LOL.

MAKAVELI

Banned
LOL! I don't abhor the system. In fact, I like it much better than the alternative and I wish it worked.

My attitude is that a stronger company in the long term is preferable to a generous company in the short term.
UPS is generous, not by choice, and has been around for 100+years. Lol

59 Dano

Baloney. No company makes a spur of the moment decision on something that affects everyone. This was in the works for years. They gave us a choice whether to stay in the traditional or go into the new portable pension for one reason only. To lure as many as possible into the new plan so that when the time came to force the rest of us in those who voluntarily left the traditional wouldn't receive the "make-up credits" that were given as compensation for being forced out of the traditional. Saved them millions. They had no intention to honor our choice and only drug it out a little over a year from the choice to make it look like they hadn't intentionally screwed a bunch of employees and open themselves up to litigation. The traditional pension was part of our compensation and to equate it with losing a few hours because of route restructuring is ludicrous. Nest of snakes, and you're slithering with the rest of them.

I had a landlord who booted me as soon as he was legally able to do so once my lease was up because there was someone else who was willing to sign a long term lease for more rent. Had to find another place on short notice and all the other options were more expensive. Really put me in a bind. It's business. I complain about it every day.

It happened in 1991 and I JUST CAN'T GET OVER IT.

floridays

That scenario isn't quite dumb enough. Can you come up with something even dumber?
Why is it dumb?
I simply noted a truth, God can't lie.

Fedex can and they did, they made an offer at the point of extending employment.
Many accepted.
When a person accepts employment they do so, relying on the the package presented.
When a person understands the Gospel, and puts their faith in the finished work of Jesus on the Cross and receives Him, they accept His word. (at lest for salvation.)
When the package is going to be altered yet existing employees are offered the ability to choose which they choose to remain under and the choice is stripped away two years later, I have a problem with that.

You may not. God cannot lie, He made a contract with his blood, I offered nothing except trust.
That is integrity, that is truth, on His part.

Fedex threw the ones that chose to remain in the traditional under the PPA bus for wall street numbers, not for corporate survival, nothing more, nothing less.

I'll see you in heaven, we can talk about it then. Unless He changes His terms,

If you actually are Christian, look to the parable of the workers that signed on early in the morning for wages and Jesus response when laborers were signed on mid-day for higher wages to the early workers complaints.

Are you proud being a Fedex mouthpiece, they'll drop yurass in a second when you decline to do the master's bidding 100%.

If you think that was dumb as well, I don't care. It's your job to beat back the hordes.
It's my job to marshall them up.

Last edited:

vantexan

I had a landlord who booted me as soon as he was legally able to do so once my lease was up because there was someone else who was willing to sign a long term lease for more rent. Had to find another place on short notice and all the other options were more expensive. Really put me in a bind. It's business. I complain about it every day.

It happened in 1991 and I JUST CAN'T GET OVER IT.
Cool story bro. Maybe Oldfart can give you some of his weed to chill you out. For someone who thinks it's no big deal what we went through you sure do fight any mention of it.

59 Dano

For someone who thinks it's no big deal what we went through you sure do fight any mention of it.
Not fighting anything, just pointing out that the problem with your retirement income has MUCH more to do with you quitting twice than it does changes in the pension plan. The guys who started around 1986 (like you did) and are retiring now don't seem to have any problem with their pension income. You don't want to take responsibility for your own decisions.