roll away, never shown / told hand brake tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
I had a stop on a slight slope, as far as I know, I did my normal park and hand brake routine. I turn around after delivering, this #$%*%^$# truck is rolling back towards the right, into a yard crushing a mailbox. Its the worst nightmare dream-like experience I can't even explain. I just got reinstated after someone backed into my truck while I was out doing a delivery, now this.

What I can't fathom is how we are not drilled about checking the tightness of our hand brakes every day. It should be in our diad and there should be a daily routine check by mechanics that have signatures. I've never been told anything about tightening or loosening the handbrake. We are behind these trucks countless times doing deliveries, how are we not reminded to check this every day like we are told everything else, use horns, feet on pavement, etc.

I could have been killed, someone else could have been, this could have been absolutely devastating. I have some questions for a lawyer. How can the DOT not require management to regularly quiz us on handbrake checks? When we got back to the center, my sup tested the brake and it rolled in drive with the brake up. He showed me how to tighten it. Ive never been shown this. Ive never heard anyone talk about this ever. :sad::sad::sad:
It could have been a lot worse but you said it yourself, you learned your lesson the easy way. Dont beat yourself up over it and certainly don't beat mgmt up for not sending consistent reminders. There is enough bull :censored2: you can beat them up for that would be totally legitimate and this isn't one of those things. Again, dont beat yourself up for it. :censored2: happens.

11.19igrad

It could have been a lot worse but you said it yourself, you learned your lesson the easy way. Dont beat yourself up over it and certainly don't beat mgmt up for not sending consistent reminders. There is enough bull :censored2: you can beat them up for that would be totally legitimate and this isn't one of those things. Again, dont beat yourself up for it. :censored2: happens.
i think not being quizzed even just once on my pretrip and parking methods at a single stop or at the hub is a legitimate problem. plus the fact they never even started my training pack. and they looked at me like i took a dump in the hallway at integrad when i asked where online i could go to keep reviewing training material.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
i think not being quizzed even just once on my pretrip and parking methods at a single stop or at the hub is a legitimate problem. plus the fact they never even started my training pack. and they looked at me like i took a dump in the hallway at integrad when i asked where online i could go to keep reviewing training material.

8EAC532F-BE2E-400F-9BC5-971176810520.gif

542thruNthru

IMG_1169.jpg

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
You don't think we have enough on-roads creeping around watching us do this :censored2: already? Like I said 340 methods. You know where I found them? When I hired on? At the age of 21?!? Google.

Last edited:

11.19igrad

If you still can, grieve it. Stop being a kiss ass
i mean, obviously... union had no business agreeing to "cardinal sins" without a clause that put the burden of proof on the company that they trained and quizzed a new driver on whatever the sin was at least 2x. too many drivers would be happy to earn a bonus and train right if sups dont want too.

Status
Not open for further replies.