Saudi Arabia not renewing Petrodollar agreement…..

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I know it's difficult to comprehend but it's the totality of home ownership. I also talked about the constant expenses that crop up. Next time instead of assuming you can grasp the idea I'll go a lot slower.

P.S. If you can afford a home great. Many positives too. I'm strictly talking about being working poor. Pretty difficult these days.
It's laundromat syndrome.

Poor people go pump quarters every week into machines to get their laundry done, because they can't "afford" to buy the machines themselves. Even though they end up spending far more than if they just owned their own machine.

The laundromat isn't doing that out of the kindness of their hearts, and neither do landlords.

Landlords provide a lower entry point in housing costs.
And make it up on the back end by charging more than the cost of home ownership over time.

Most landlords have leveraged debt to finance their projects.
You are paying the mortgage for them. And the insurance, and the taxes, and the repairs.

Convenience is rarely free.

oldngray

nowhere special

Poor people go pump quarters every week into machines to get their laundry done, because they can't "afford" to buy the machines themselves. Even though they end up spending far more than if they just owned their own machine.

The laundromat isn't doing that out of the kindness of their hearts, and neither do landlords.

And make it up on the back end by charging more than the cost of home ownership over time.

You are paying the mortgage for them. And the insurance, and the taxes, and the repairs.

Rent to own scams

vantexan

But heaven forbid if one chooses alternatives like living in a RV. I don't want to spend $800+utilities a month on an apartment but I would spend $20k to put a travel trailer in a RV park and pay $375 a month which includes wifi, cable, water, and trash(and a laundry room!). I could spend a good deal more on a nicer trailer that has washer/dryer hookups.

The thing is when you're getting low pay you consider options. Some people can't stand the idea and want to put it down all the time. They often have the mentality of if I'm spending all my money paying for the best house in the best neighborhood then you should be striving to do the same. It's the old Puritan work ethic. You prove your worthiness by what you achieve financially. You see, poor people have opinions about what you rich folk do also. Yeah, yeah, I know you aren't rich. But keeping up with the Jones is very alive and well in the U.S. @DriveInDriveOut

vantexan

But heaven forbid if one chooses alternatives like living in a RV. I don't want to spend $800+utilities a month on an apartment but I would spend $20k to put a travel trailer in a RV park and pay $375 a month which includes wifi, cable, water, and trash(and a laundry room!). I could spend a good deal more on a nicer trailer that has washer/dryer hookups.

The thing is when you're getting low pay you consider options. Some people can't stand the idea and want to put it down all the time. They often have the mentality of if I'm spending all my money paying for the best house in the best neighborhood then you should be striving to do the same. It's the old Puritan work ethic. You prove your worthiness by what you achieve financially. You see, poor people have opinions about what you rich folk do also. Yeah, yeah, I know you aren't rich. But keeping up with the Jones is very alive and well in the U.S. @DriveInDriveOut
P.S. Just bought an ebike! I'm saving the planet @rickyb Ha, not really, but with no gas, no insurance, minimal maintenance, it's how I'm going to get by.

Next up, an friend-150 with a small camper on it. Going to boondock in the Southwest. The travel trailer in the RV park is for when I'm too old to be running around.

To quote the immortal Charlie Sheen: "Winnnning!!" @DriveInDriveOut

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

You're making some fairly big assumptions in the second half of that post.

I would consider myself very well off for my age, and I'm very lucky my parents taught me about finance so early.

You are going to have a payment on the travel trailer, yes?
You are going to need to purchase something to pull it with?
And you are going to need insurance on both of those things?

So really what you are getting for $375 a month is water, trash, and a place to park.
Cable and wifi are non essentials.

If you get a 7 year loan for the trailer, I'd guess about 300 a month?
And maybe 50 a month for insurance?

Just throwing numbers around.

But that would put you at $725 a month to live there.
In a cheaper part of the country, that's not all that far off of a house payment. And if you had the house payment, you'd build equity in something that will probably be appreciating in value at the same time.

I'm not trying to beat you up, dude. If you have a good life, I'm happy for you.
I'm just not sure how much cheaper life actually ends up being when you do more creative stuff like that.

vantexan

You're making some fairly big assumptions in the second half of that post.

I would consider myself very well off for my age, and I'm very lucky my parents taught me about finance so early.

You are going to have a payment on the travel trailer, yes?
You are going to need to purchase something to pull it with?
And you are going to need insurance on both of those things?

So really what you are getting for $375 a month is water, trash, and a place to park.
Cable and wifi are non essentials.

If you get a 7 year loan for the trailer, I'd guess about 300 a month?
And maybe 50 a month for insurance?

Just throwing numbers around.

But that would put you at $725 a month to live there.
In a cheaper part of the country, that's not all that far off of a house payment. And if you had the house payment, you'd build equity in something that will probably be appreciating in value at the same time.

I'm not trying to beat you up, dude. If you have a good life, I'm happy for you.
I'm just not sure how much cheaper life actually ends up being when you do more creative stuff like that.
Nope. Been planning this for awhile. I'm in the fortunate position of currently having no rent or utilities or car payment. Which is good because I'm knocking off debt from my heart attack and some back taxes. I'll be paying all cash for a travel trailer.

Let's say an apartment is $800 a month plus utilities. That's $9600 a year plus utilities. Even with paying for a trailer outright it won't take long to come out ahead on that deal.

You're assuming I'll be traveling with the trailer. I lived 12 years in a 26' travel trailer. Only moved it when I transferred and paid someone to move it for me. A lot cheaper than owning a pickup.

The pickup boondocking will have a small truck camper in the bed. I'll probably do that until my mid-70's assuming I'm alive.

And if you keep the trailer in the park there's no need to tag it or insure it. If I ever move it can get a temp tag or have a trabsporter put his transport plate on it.

One person with a couple of small dogs can be perfectly comfortable in a travel trailer with slideouts. Like a small apartment. What I'm likely to do is buy a toy hauler trailer. Empty except for a nice bathroom and small kitchen on one end. Put a big screen tv across the other end, a bed and an easy chair. Just like having a studio apartment.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Nope. Been planning this for awhile. I'm in the fortunate position of currently having no rent or utilities or car payment. Which is good because I'm knocking off debt from my heart attack and some back taxes. I'll be paying all cash for a travel trailer.

Let's say an apartment is $800 a month plus utilities. That's $9600 a year plus utilities. Even with paying for a trailer outright it won't take long to come out ahead on that deal.

You're assuming I'll be traveling with the trailer. I lived 12 years in a 26' travel trailer. Only moved it when I transferred and paid someone to move it for me. A lot cheaper than owning a pickup.

The pickup boondocking will have a small truck camper in the bed. I'll probably do that until my mid-70's assuming I'm alive.

And if you keep the trailer in the park there's no need to tag it or insure it. If I ever move it can get a temp tag or have a trabsporter put his transport plate on it.

One person with a couple of small dogs can be perfectly comfortable in a travel trailer with slideouts. Like a small apartment. What I'm likely to do is buy a toy hauler trailer. Empty except for a nice bathroom and small kitchen on one end. Put a big screen tv across the other end, a bed and an easy chair. Just like having a studio apartment.
Sounds like you've got a plan.

Wouldn't be what I'd do, but it takes all kinds.
Sounds like you've put a fair bit of thought into it.

rickyb

Banned
P.S. Just bought an ebike! I'm saving the planet @rickyb Ha, not really, but with no gas, no insurance, minimal maintenance, it's how I'm going to get by.

Next up, an friend-150 with a small camper on it. Going to boondock in the Southwest. The travel trailer in the RV park is for when I'm too old to be running around.

To quote the immortal Charlie Sheen: "Winnnning!!" @DriveInDriveOut
dont buy a f150 buy a toyota.

vantexan

dont buy a f150 buy a toyota.
I might. They tend to be pricey. There's a Ford engine, 3.3l 6 cylinder, they no longer make but is very reliable. Gets decent mileage. Can get a 2018 model year with that engine for low 20's. It'll be mostly highway miles so should hold up for quite awhile.

rickyb

Banned
I might. They tend to be pricey. There's a Ford engine, 3.3l 6 cylinder, they no longer make but is very reliable. Gets decent mileage. Can get a 2018 model year with that engine for low 20's. It'll be mostly highway miles so should hold up for quite awhile.
1717936574526.png
10 to 19. they dont distinguish based on engines.

rickyb

Banned
cars are still overpriced right now the good for nothing free market.
1717937805475.png

my dad bought an actual tacoma with low mileage for like 15000 when it was just a few years old. this POS is 20 years old and its almost the same price.

Thebrownblob

“The accounts were rife with inaccuracies: the Saudis’ have transacted in non-dollar currencies for decades, and there has never been a formal treaty, much less with a specified expiration date, governing the loose arrangement that has come to be called the ‘petrodollar system.”

Over70irregs

If they were confident they would not have announced using other currencies. It’s a drawdown. They are not stupid. We are in denial. They don’t want panic. Wake up.. You are being spun…