Saudi Arabia not renewing Petrodollar agreement…..

vantexan

My property tax about 6K a year, I’m sure there are worse places.
There's an elderly lady who attended church with my dad who just sold her home in The Villages and moved to South Carolina. Was getting reamed by property taxes here. Texas and Florida don't have state income taxes but they make up for it with property and sales taxes. And still not as bad as the Northeast.

vantexan

The right to sell it.

Just saying, a lot of these people who complain and talk of an impending market crash are just coping because they wish they had property.
No, I have no desire to pay rent to the government in order to have a house. And I don't want to see a crash but real estate is in a bubble.

You do realize that the U.S. government in 1963 isn't comprised of the same people as in 2024?
I could argue they're worse or at least just as bad
No one is telling you to trust your government completely. But at the end of the day most Federal, State, and Local government workers are just people doing their jobs.
yes, when they're told by political appointees to do something, they do it, including lying
People like you get this resentment built up inside you and on occasion some lash out. When Timothy McVeigh put that truck full of explosives next to the Federal Building in OKC he didn't strike a blow for freedom. He just killed a bunch of ordinary folks doing their jobs. And a bunch of small kids.
so you're saying government workers who keep the machine going are completely off limits, only combatants vs combatants are allowed? no revolution in HISTORY would have succeeded thinking like that
we'd all still be working for the Pharaohs with your mindset
We can rant and rave against the powers that be but in the end all we really have is either our vote or to get directly involved by running for office.
see my point above
Telling everyone on the internet that it's all a grand conspiracy to control us or whatever doesn't really solve anything. Just gets some so worked up they can't enjoy life and may very possibly lead to them hurting others.
it's not a conspiracy, they're just aligned in their interests against ours
I think it's better focusing on voting for leaders who might govern responsibly and hoping for the best. And if they fail keep trying to find someone better. Life is too short to worry about how the bankers are all meeting secretly to figure out ways to screw us. I bank at Capital One. They give me much better service than outfits I've banked with in the past. That's what I care about.
there is nothing wrong with admitting you are cattle, but that's literally what you are thinking like that

Thebrownblob

yes, when they're told by political appointees to do something, they do it, including lying

so you're saying government workers who keep the machine going are completely off limits, only combatants vs combatants are allowed? no revolution in HISTORY would have succeeded thinking like that

see my point above

there is nothing wrong with admitting you are cattle, but that's literally what you are thinking like that
Van seems like a nice guy, but he definitely wants the government to take care of him and assumes the people in charge Have his best interest in mind. The vast majority don’t, and the vast majority of the people in charge are unaccountable, unelected unfireable, bureaucrats.. if our vote truly got rid of them it would be great, but it just doesn’t work that way.

Last edited:

vantexan

see my point above

You're proving my point, but you do you.

vantexan

Van seems like a nice guy, but he definitely wants the government to take care of him and assumes the people in charge Have his best interest in mind. The vast majority don’t, and the vast majority of the people in charge are unaccountable, unelected unfireable, bureaucrats.. if our vote truly got rid of them it would be great, but it just doesn’t work that way.
I want the government to take care of me? I want a responsible government that does what it's supposed to do. A government that provides for the common good by maintaining border security. Controls crime. Regulates the banking system. Insures fair trade. Develops markets with other countries so that the average guy here can find a job that'll support his family. There's a lot more to it than waving "Don't Tread on Me!" flags. Our government is failing on much of that. Might not have noticed but I spend most of my time here railing against our leaders lining their pockets and using poor foreigners as political pawns to further their ambitions. But I also see a lot of people come and go here who think there's some sinister forces meeting in secret and devising plans to turn us all into mindless drones. That's so much more interesting than political parties and elections and all that window dressing that only fools buy into. It's all a facade I hear. No, let's don't work towards building a decent system. Let's get armed to the teeth and hide off the grid up in them thar hills. When the day comes and the signal is transmitted we'll take back our country! Freeeeeeeedommmmm!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

vantexan

You have no desire for something you like?
Okay then.
Why would I have no desire to live in a house? I just don't want to be a slave to a mortgage. My dad has a nice home he was able to pay off a long time ago because he built in 1965 then saw his income accelerate with inflation in the late 70's. Was paid off by '86. But he pays plenty in taxes and there's always something needing repair. In the 3 years I've been here he's put in a new air conditioner, new sprinkler system, new pump on his well, new tile floor, new roof, new dishwasher, and bought a new mower. It never stops. Great if you have the money, but for working class people struggling to just meet the mortgage, and don't have much more than SS in retirement, how do they cope?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
there's always something needing repair. In the 3 years I've been here he's put in a new air conditioner, new sprinkler system, new pump on his well, new tile floor, new roof, new dishwasher, and bought a new mower. It never stops. Great if you have the money, but for working class people struggling to just meet the mortgage, and don't have much more than SS in retirement, how do they cope?
You're asking me how people who can't pay their expenses should pay their expenses?

Make more money or lower their expenses.
Also, you know, be an adult and budget.

Oh gee my air conditioner needed to be replaced I had no way of knowing this expense would come up I thought they lasted forever. SMH.

vantexan

You're asking me how people who can't pay their expenses should pay their expenses?

Make more money or lower their expenses.
Also, you know, be an adult and budget.

Oh gee my air conditioner needed to be replaced I had no way of knowing this expense would come up I thought they lasted forever. SMH.
What part of half the country are wage slaves and can't afford a house do you not understand? Funny thing about some people who have good incomes. They think everyone can run out and find a good paying job if they want to but don't because they're lazy, shiftless, or immature. Some are. Just as there are those making good money who do the bare minimum. We all can't be the paragon of virtue you are.

Over70irregs

Define “own”. My house will be paid off in a year and a half. Property tax and insurance will still cost me close to $800 a month for life (or until I sell) and will continue to go up. I miss a couple of those property tax payments. I’ll find out pretty quick who actually owns this.
Even with fixed mortgage your utilities, insurance, taxes, maintenance over time will exceed your payment. This will force people back to work or liquidating assets to maintain.

Thebrownblob

Why would I have no desire to live in a house? I just don't want to be a slave to a mortgage. My dad has a nice home he was able to pay off a long time ago because he built in 1965 then saw his income accelerate with inflation in the late 70's. Was paid off by '86. But he pays plenty in taxes and there's always something needing repair. In the 3 years I've been here he's put in a new air conditioner, new sprinkler system, new pump on his well, new tile floor, new roof, new dishwasher, and bought a new mower. It never stops. Great if you have the money, but for working class people struggling to just meet the mortgage, and don't have much more than SS in retirement, how do they cope?
Spent all day fixing my fence, lol the joys of homeownership.