Seeing a doctor

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That works if you have paid sick days.
We don’t.
Then just tell'em to put you down as "called in for whatever". You don't have to lie. I've called in and told them I can't come to work because I need to fix my car, or just that I have a personal matter to deal with, or whatever the reason is.
One time the person on the phone told me "you don't have any more sick days", I said "No, I just don't have any more paid sick days".
Anyway the OP is apparently really sick so this shouldn't be an issue for him.

El Correcto

god is dead
Then just tell'em to put you down as "called in for whatever". You don't have to lie. I've called in and told them I can't come to work because I need to fix my car, or just that I have a personal matter to deal with, or whatever the reason is.
One time the person on the phone told me "you don't have any more sick days", I said "No, I just don't have any more paid sick days".
Anyway the OP is apparently really sick so this shouldn't be an issue for him.
Here it is kind of an unspoken agreement that if you’re actually sick and take a day off to get it sorted it will be an unmentioned scheduled off thing.

If you call in without option days to burn and you’re not sick it will be unexcused absence and progressive discipline will start.

my advice is solid if you’re out of option days and are actually sick and also don’t work in a local with paid sick days.

UnionGuy

You only need a doctors note if it's 5 days . I remember calling off for 4 days and when I brought the doctors note to HR they told me they don't need it, unless I missed 5 days.

El Correcto

god is dead
The best advice you can get on this website is usually speak to your steward or give the union hall a call. They’ll let you know how stuff operates locally.

Indecisi0n

I'm still fairly new so I haven't had to deal with this yet, but I'm sick. It's not so bad I can't work (for now), but it's important I go soon. How do I go about getting a day off for this? Just ask my sup? Call out?
We need to know all your symptoms. Don’t leave out anything.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Call them an hour before start time and let them know. Call whoever will answer and if no one answers send a group text

You’re sick, cannot work and are going to a clinic to get checked out. Hopefully you’ll see them tomorrow.

Don’t get caught not being sick, they will terminate your ass. We had a dude busted on social media not being sick going out to a baseball game or something stupid. Fired for dishonesty.
Be careful sending a group text that you won’t be at work. No need to start a paper trail for them.

rod

Retired 23 years
You only need a doctors note if it's 5 days . I remember calling off for 4 days and when I brought the doctors note to HR they told me they don't need it, unless I missed 5 days.
They next guy would tell you something different--are you a rookie? :-)

5 consecutive days here also. People often think if they have no hours in their sick bank that they cannot call in sick.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Call them an hour before start time and let them know. Call whoever will answer and if no one answers send a group text

You’re sick, cannot work and are going to a clinic to get checked out. Hopefully you’ll see them tomorrow.

Don’t get caught not being sick, they will terminate your ass. We had a dude busted on social media not being sick going out to a baseball game or something stupid. Fired for dishonesty.
Shouldn’t have told them he was sick. Just that he couldn’t make it in.

Nowhere does it say that you have to have a proven illness to call off work.

El Correcto

god is dead
You can call off for any reason you want. Hell you don’t even have to call in, just quit showing up. But he was trying to mitigate the consequences which would of been at most a warning letter and got caught lying.

When may I use my earned paid sick leave?​

You may use this leave:

• For a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition or if you need a medical diagnosis or preventative medical care.
  • If a family member (see below) needs care for a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition, or needs a medical diagnosis or preventative medical care.
  • If your workplace or your child’s school or place of care has been closed for any health-related reason by order of a public official.
  • If you are absent from work for reasons that qualify for leave under the state’s Domestic Violence Leave Act (DVLA).

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Yup. Just say you have a personal matter to deal with. Here we can choose to bid our paid sick days as another vacation week so it's obvious they're not just for if you're really sick.

ManInBrown

That's why I never said "I'm sick". Always said "I'm taking a paid sick day".
This. Never tell them why. Just say I’m utilizing a sick day. The only exception being if you’re really sick with bronchitis or something where your doctor gave you a note and told you to stay out of work for a certain number of days. Then I tell them I’m sick and will be back on this day. But if it’s just a one off, utilizing a sick day, click.