Seven day weeks

AB831

My manager told us in the meeting this morning that he eavesdropped on a Skype call his senior was having, and they were talking about going to a seven day work week in November. He didn’t know anything beyond that, but it makes me wonder if this is just for peak season or maybe a permanent thing. I kind of felt it would be inevitable once Ground started seven day weeks a year or so ago.

falcon back

My manager told us in the meeting this morning that he eavesdropped on a Skype call his senior was having, and they were talking about going to a seven day work week in November. He didn’t know anything beyond that, but it makes me wonder if this is just for peak season or maybe a permanent thing. I kind of felt it would be inevitable once Ground started seven day weeks a year or so ago.
Sure he did. Another misery post from you.

AB831

I’d be surprised if Express has the volume for it to make sense outside of peak.
I agree, but remember, at Express there are two versions of reality in play: Fat Freddy's and actual reality, and it is his goal to make those two things become one and the same at all costs. If he has decided that Express will become a seven days a week operation, then come hell or high water, that's exactly what it will become. Don't have the volume to justify it? Who cares! Pass the buck to the next guy on the ladder, give him untenable demands to meet in order to make it so, and let him figure it out. THAT is the purple promise in a nutshell.

It will be fine

I agree, but remember, at Express there are two versions of reality in play: Fat Freddy's and actual reality, and it is his goal to make those two things become one and the same at all costs. If he has decided that Express will become a seven days a week operation, then come hell or high water, that's exactly what it will become. Don't have the volume to justify it? Who cares! Pass the buck to the next guy on the ladder, give him untenable demands to meet in order to make it so, and let him figure it out. THAT is the purple promise in a nutshell.
For Ground our linehaul was already running 7 days a week. Do Express hubs run 7 days? Would there be more flights? What type of efficiency gains could be accomplished with Sunday delivery of primarily residential volume, especially considering a fair amount of that is already planned to be diverted to Ground? It doesn’t make much sense to me but who knows.

Gone fishin

For Ground our linehaul was already running 7 days a week. Do Express hubs run 7 days? Would there be more flights? What type of efficiency gains could be accomplished with Sunday delivery of primarily residential volume, especially considering a fair amount of that is already planned to be diverted to Ground? It doesn’t make much sense to me but who knows.
I sure hope ground doesn’t get anymore freight. I’m honestly so sick of getting complaints about them. I tell them we are two separate divisions and I know nothing about them. I’ll take pickups if they are small after no one comes for weeks.
lady today said she ordered something three weeks ago and was showing at a California hub. I said if you need it timely try not to use them. Feels like Fedx is imploding

NC man

Express did Sunday while back, did not catch on and was scrapped. Our station did volunteer way but volume was a joke.maybe demand is higher now ,idk.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Doubtful they will offer Sunday as a service option. More likely will use Sunday to clear the pipeline/backlog until volume slows.

Or it could be nothing but unicorns and leprechauns.

dezguy

I can't speak for down there but I know up here, apparently sales has a lot of e-commerce companies wanting 7 day delivery. They don't want to warehouse their merchandise and would rather it be in FedEx's system, available for delivery at any time.

The station I'm at is currently a 6 day a week operation but I would not be surprised if we aren't 7 days by the end of the year. Supposedly, sales has 4 or 5 e-commerce customers lined up, ready to go.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

No manager is going to tell his workgroup that he did that and heard that. Another in a long list of stupid crap that was allegedly heard from above that didn't happen.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You want to cheer me up? Tell me the story about your wife winning the lottery and you creating a second profile to avoid owning your lie.

For someone who wasn't around for that, you sure seem to know a lot about it.

AB831

No manager is going to tell his workgroup that he did that and heard that. Another in a long list of stupid crap that was allegedly heard from above that didn't happen.
Well exactly that happened this morning, clown, and your belief and acceptance of it is 100% irrelevant and inconsequential.

CatMan

I’d be surprised if Express has the volume for it to make sense outside of peak.
We have the volume (for now)..if they would stop blowing out routes, and letting others cut early! ...level out the workload, and maybe morale will improve and the injuries might stop.