SLOW DOWN UPS DRIVER!?

JJinVA

I've had three ppl yell at my truck now for me to SLOW DOWN while going through their neighborhood. The first time I was doing 18mph... the second time i was doing 22mph on an unfinished, new construction road and all drivers know if i had been going any faster I'd be bouncing in the seat like a rally car driver, and the third time I was doing 20mph coming around a bend and the lady was walking in the middle of the street like a wild animal reclaiming nature after covid lockdowns.

Is it because the brakes squeak and make it sound like I'm aggressively braking? Or the fact that the engine rumble sounds like I'm gunning it when in reality Im just trying to get the friend&@"$ing thing moving?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Ignore them.

Our trucks are loud and it gives the impression that we're moving faster than we are. This problem was even bigger years ago when we had all manual transmission trucks and you would move through a neighborhood in 2nd gear so as to respect the speed limit but the engine would be turning 3500 RPMs.

People also conflate us with FedEx and Amazon, many of whom really do drive like idiots.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
... though keep in mind that anyone could call your center manager, tell him or her where they saw you, and the manager could then use telematics to see if it is an overreacting soccer mom or if you really are speeding.

Just do the right thing out there. It ain't hard.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Is that why they gave us electric vehicles? Because these damned things are quiet, unreliable, and everyone has a heart attack when I tap the horn. The tap in comparison is like blowing a train horn.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've had three ppl yell at my truck now for me to SLOW DOWN while going through their neighborhood. The first time I was doing 18mph... the second time i was doing 22mph on an unfinished, new construction road and all drivers know if i had been going any faster I'd be bouncing in the seat like a rally car driver, and the third time I was doing 20mph coming around a bend and the lady was walking in the middle of the street like a wild animal reclaiming nature after covid lockdowns.

Is it because the brakes squeak and make it sound like I'm aggressively braking? Or the fact that the engine rumble sounds like I'm gunning it when in reality Im just trying to get the friend&@"$ing thing moving?
Someone yells to slow down, I speed up! Stay out of the road!

251522386CE4KRKF.gif

quad decade guy

Ignore them.

Our trucks are loud and it gives the impression that we're moving faster than we are. This problem was even bigger years ago when we had all manual transmission trucks and you would move through a neighborhood in 2nd gear so as to respect the speed limit but the engine would be turning 3500 RPMs.

People also conflate us with FedEx and Amazon, many of whom really do drive like idiots.

Well, during my brown feeder days, on my way home from work, I'd get passed every day in a occupied work zone as the pkg car and my schedule were the same. Pkg car sped everywhere he went(in or out of work zones). I find this to be pretty typical of UPS pkg drivers(I find). Watch another UPS driver someday(pkg or feeder), lot's drive like idiots. Mgt. looks the other way until an accident. Not all but a lot of feeder drivers drive as fast as the truck will go, regardless of the speed limit or work zone. Just doesn't seem to matter. Look at fines in work zones someday. Pretty sobering. Don't think DOT or the State won't use telematics, gps or other to PROSECUTE YOU for an accident/fatality. But we're talking safety here and that doesn't seem to mean much on BC. Matter of fact, you will be quickly belittled and verbally abused just to start...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Well, during my brown feeder days, on my way home from work, I'd get passed every day in a occupied work zone as the pkg car and my schedule were the same. Pkg car sped everywhere he went(in or out of work zones). I find this to be pretty typical of UPS pkg drivers(I find). Watch another UPS driver someday(pkg or feeder), lot's drive like idiots. Mgt. looks the other way until an accident. Not all but a lot of feeder drivers drive as fast as the truck will go, regardless of the speed limit or work zone. Just doesn't seem to matter. Look at fines in work zones someday. Pretty sobering. Don't think DOT or the State won't use telematics, gps or other to PROSECUTE YOU for an accident/fatality. But we're talking safety here and that doesn't seem to mean much on BC. Matter of fact, you will be quickly belittled and verbally abused just to start...
Feeders don't face customers that equate the sound of the truck with speed. The speed limit might be 25 but in a pc the noise makes it seem like we are going faster.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

stop being a slacker. the speed limit is 25 and the cops allow 5-10 mph over that. you're stealing time driver.