Smokin' Gun Joe gets POTUS pardon

BrownArmy

...Arizona's senior senator, Republican John McCain, said in a statement on the pardon that "no one is above the law and the individuals entrusted with the privilege of being sworn law officers should always seek to be beyond reproach in their commitment to fairly enforcing the laws they swore to uphold."

"Mr. Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt for continuing to illegally profile Latinos living in Arizona based on their perceived immigration status in violation of a judge's orders," McCain said. "The President has the authority to make this pardon, but doing so at this time undermines his claim for the respect of rule of law as Mr. Arpaio has shown no remorse for his actions."

LINK

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't see what the stink about pardoning someone is. Its one of the perks of being the POTUS. Every President has done it. A lot of bad people have been turned loose because they "knew somebody" in the White House. Obama turned his share loose. I'm not saying its right--just that that is the way it is. Don't like it--change the system. Vote in Hilary next time. I'm sure the Clintons would pardon themselves first.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
she does have a few gay friends
is that what she told you?

Girls.png

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't see what the stink about pardoning someone is. Its one of the perks of being the POTUS. Every President has done it. A lot of bad people have been turned loose because they "knew somebody" in the White House. Obama turned his share loose. I'm not saying its right--just that that is the way it is. Don't like it--change the system. Vote in Hilary next time. I'm sure the Clintons would pardon themselves first.
Obama clinton blah blah blah

Trump is a bag of dicks.

rod

Retired 22 years
Obama clinton blah blah blah

Trump is a bag of dicks.

I don't recall ever saying he wasn't. The most I've ever said about Trump is give him a chance. I do believe he's had his chance----and blew it but getting rid of him isn't going to happen over night---if ever.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't recall ever saying he wasn't. The most I've ever said about Trump is give him a chance. I do believe he's had his chance----and blew it but getting rid of him isn't going to happen over night---if ever.
Give the dick a chance?
Did that pick up line work before the internet?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Meanwhile, enjoy the show as the cuckservatives go insane.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
...Arizona's senior senator, Republican John McCain, said in a statement on the pardon that "no one is above the law and the individuals entrusted with the privilege of being sworn law officers should always seek to be beyond reproach in their commitment to fairly enforcing the laws they swore to uphold."

"Mr. Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt for continuing to illegally profile Latinos living in Arizona based on their perceived immigration status in violation of a judge's orders," McCain said. "The President has the authority to make this pardon, but doing so at this time undermines his claim for the respect of rule of law as Mr. Arpaio has shown no remorse for his actions."

LINK
Bless his heart!
His brain is turning to mush ...
turning into a liberal *:censored2:.

* Yeah, I know these two works are redundant.

Last edited:

BrownArmy

Therr are a few problems with this pardon, hence the stink.

Generally pardons are given at the end of a Presidents tenure, so this an anomaly, but who cares - that's irrelevant.

What is relevant, and why there's a stink, is that this particular pardon is a big FU to the Constitution.

Trumps pardon of Arpaio is problematic in the sense that it drop-kicks the separation of powers inherent in our governmental system.

Sure, sure, a sitting President can pardon anyone he or she wants, and there doesn't seem to be a proscribed limit to that power.

But, forget Trump and Arpaio for a second.

This sets a precedent in which someone who violated the law, violated the Constitution, was then found guilty, gets a free pass for simple political reasons.

Again, forget Trump: if this flies, any future President could say, 'Hey, I know it's unconstitutional and illegal, but do it anyway, I'll pardon you'.

The powers of government are separated for a reason, but Trump's pardon of Arpaio is an end-run around that separation.

If something occurs, and a citizens only redress is through the courts, but the Prez says, 'Wrong!', and pardons anyone who does his bidding or is politically aligned or is a friend, then we're hitting a Banana Republic style of government.

You may personally like Arpaio, and have no problems with his pardon, but there's always a next time, with a different President.

rod

Retired 22 years
Therr are a few problems with this pardon, hence the stink.

Generally pardons are given at the end of a Presidents tenure, so this an anomaly, but who cares - that's irrelevant.

What is relevant, and why there's a stink, is that this particular pardon is a big FU to the Constitution.

Trumps pardon of Arpaio is problematic in the sense that it drop-kicks the separation of powers inherent in our governmental system.

Sure, sure, a sitting President can pardon anyone he or she wants, and there doesn't seem to be a proscribed limit to that power.

But, forget Trump and Arpaio for a second.

This sets a precedent in which someone who violated the law, violated the Constitution, was then found guilty, gets a free pass for simple political reasons.

Again, forget Trump: if this flies, any future President could say, 'Hey, I know it's unconstitutional and illegal, but do it anyway, I'll pardon you'.

The powers of government are separated for a reason, but Trump's pardon of Arpaio is an end-run around that separation.

If something occurs, and a citizens only redress is through the courts, but the Prez says, 'Wrong!', and pardons anyone who does his bidding or is politically aligned or is a friend, then we're hitting a Banana Republic style of government.

You may personally like Arpaio, and have no problems with his pardon, but there's always a next time, with a different President.

Well said. I have admitted I did agree with a lot of his ideas in the beginning--still do some of them. He was a no BS - tough on bad guys Sheriff most every law abiding citizen was looking for. Do the crime-- do the time (hard time). He did get re-elected 6 or 7 times so either he had a lot of loyal fans or there wasn't enough "legal" Latinos in Arizona to vote him out. I drove by Tent City a half a dozen times while visiting Arizona and just looking at the inmates through all the barbed wire fences should have been enough to make anyone walk a straight path.