The 2024 Presidential Race Thread

Next Day Err

You need to stop spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories. You're fomenting mistrust of the election before it's even happened.

Settle down my friend.

Cochise County, Arizona, provides a prime recent example. In November 2022, the county’s board of supervisors voted against certifying the county’s general election returns, citing vague concerns that the county’s voting machines could not be trusted. But later, one of the supervisors admitted that their refusal to certify was really a protest against the election in nearby Maricopa County, where a ballot printing error ignited a firestorm of conspiracy theories that the glitch resulted in mass election fraud.

The board’s refusal to certify threatened to disenfranchise every voter in Cochise County. Arizona law required state officials to begin gathering county returns no later than December 8. This left them with no choice but to complete the process without the county’s 47,000 votes if the board did not certify in time. In the end, the dispute concluded only after a state judge ordered the board to certify the results without delay, explaining that the board had no discretion to refuse to certify the results under Arizona law.

Cochise County was not an isolated incident. During the 2022 election cycle, rogue local officials in Otero County, New Mexico; Esmeralda County, Nevada; Berks, Fayette, Lancaster, and Luzerne Counties, Pennsylvania; Surry County, North Carolina; and Mohave County, Arizona all refused or threatened to refuse to certify valid election results based on claims rooted in election denialism — the false idea that the 2020 election was stolen and that widespread fraud continues to pervade our election system.
Republicans have tried this game since 2020 and have failed but we all know failure doesn't seem to stop this party from trying to dismantle our election norms.

Republicans will try to steal this election if the counties/state boards don't like the result but I think they'll fail.

Trump could also just win outright.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Republicans will try to steal this election if the counties/state boards don't like the result but I think they'll fail.
The election hasn't even happened and you're already pushing conspiracy theories that Republicans are cheating.

Republicans just want to make sure the election is free and fair. It's quite telling that you're opposed to that.

Next Day Err

Well you say none of that is happening so you have nothing to worry about and you can stop with all the crying.
I say none of that is happening but when has reason stopped Republicans from :censored2:ting all over our elections? All because Trump can’t deal with having lost the last election.

So you go along with it and millions of others go along with it because Trump is big mad, big stupid and a big baby. But he’s a big salesman for himself.

Next Day Err

Cannot get welfare without government ID and proof of citizenship.
The right to vote is sacrosanct and should be easy. Republicans have always tried to make it harder knowing that people with fewer means are on average less likely to jump through all the hoops. Also known as voter suppression.

Thebrownblob

The right to vote is sacrosanct and should be easy. Republicans have always tried to make it harder knowing that people with fewer means are on average less likely to jump through all the hoops. Also known as voter suppression.
What hoops? Why register then that’s the hoop. Everyone has ID. It’s disrespectful to pretend people of color or people of low means don’t have ID. It’s a silly condescending notion.

Thebrownblob

Why do we have to show ID when we buy a gun? It’s sacrosanct. Come on man you’re reaching even you admit it’s easy to show your ID when you vote. It’s more of a pain in the ass to register.

Next Day Err

What hoops? Why register then that’s the hoop. Everyone has ID. It’s disrespectful to pretend people of color or people of low means don’t have ID. It’s a silly condescending notion.
Except people of lower means are less likely on average to comply with all these Republican voter suppression tactics. We know this because of our history with Jim Crow laws that were designed with voter suppression in mind.

Next Day Err

Man, you’re condescending. Very disappointing.
36 states require ID to vote already. The remaining 14 states require other means of identifying people like comparing their signatures with signatures that are on file.

I just would hate our least powerful citizens to get their right to vote snubbed because they didn’t jump through some hoop that cost them time or money they made not have had that year.

Voter fraud is extremely rare. 159 million ballots were cast in 2020 and there were literally dozens of instances of individual voter fraud. I remember reading several instances of MAGA type voters getting caught. Still don’t want to force ID on people least likely to secure them to be able to exercise their voice.

Thebrownblob

36 states require ID to vote already. The remaining 14 states require other means of identifying people like comparing their signatures with signatures that are on file.

I just would hate our least powerful citizens to get their right to vote snubbed because they didn’t jump through some hoop that cost them time or money they made not have had that year.

Voter fraud is extremely rare. 159 million ballots were cast in 2020 and there were literally dozens of instances of individual voter fraud. I remember reading several instances of MAGA type voters getting caught. Still don’t want to force ID on people least likely to secure them to be able to exercise their voice.
Again, why register? Your a citizen you should be able to vote. Far bigger hoop than ID that most everyone already has.

Thebrownblob

You register once and it’s done as long as you vote in elections periodically. Requiring and ID is opening the door to having to renew it and replace it and not lose it, etc etc.

It’s one more barrier for people to exercise their vote. I’m not for it.
Yeah, those brown and poor people just aren’t able to keep track of their stuff right?

I guess they’re just not as smart as you and they need your help.

I really hope you tell them that to their face. 😂

Next Day Err

Yeah, those brown and poor people just aren’t able to keep track of their stuff right?

I guess they’re just not as smart as you and they need your help.

I really hope you tell them that to their face. 😂
It's not about intelligence or irresponsiblity. If you're broke and working multiple jobs or have another hard situation you're less likely to make time or have the money or mental bandwidth leftover to make those extra steps to comply with some Republican legislature's version of voter suppression.

This is ALL about Republicans driving down voter participation since at least Nixon's Southern strategy.

These voter ID laws the Republican Party has been trying to push are a solution in search of a problem. There's virtually no problem.