The Express employee massacre continues.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Going to be kind of difficult, considering the number of co-lo buildings that haven't even begun construction yet that are planned.

But hey, what's a minor issue like that?

Huge if true.
You mean, a huge capex, with money that doesn't exist for Express to expand instead of Ground?

Wall Street will love that debt load. Stock price should soar.

AB831

Uhh they’re going to have to move a hell of a lot faster than 3 years with this. Express is not going to survive 3 years of “duck duck goose you’re fired”. This merger has already sunk morale lower than I personally thought possible. And just like they always do, top brass is completely oblivious to the fact that this is not a good job anymore. It’s the missing ingredient in every dumb plan they implement. Assuming people are happy and will do what’s required while the company figures out new ways to make their job worse. I personally don’t care anymore. They completely lost me with the 2% raise during the record COVID volume surge. I silently quit that October and have been laughing since. Screw this place. We’re the genius freight airline that thinks flying packages is too expensive. We’re a car wash that cries about the water bill. And I will joyfully watch this place erode as I steal 40 hours of pay from it every week. Like I said… this company doesn’t have 3 years to do this.
Dano knows his cushy little ivory tower is dependent on the Titanic staying afloat, so you’ll have to pardon him as he’s in the denial stage of his grief. I had a manager who was a few years older than me and was super ambitious and thought he was on his way to a corporate suite. Well, when things didn’t work out at Fredex, he went and got a new “career” for himself at a Party City. Since loyalty to Fat Freddy is the basis for how this company staffs its bloated elite vs actual real world skill, white color Fedex legends often find themselves far less sought after in the real world than they were in their comfy purple cult. No one cares that you graduated from Fat Freddy’s AIM program or attended Fat Freddy’s “engineering” training sessions. He knows he’s a bad meeting or two away from making balloon animals for a living, so he’s of course going to be super optimistic all of a sudden.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Dano knows his cushy little ivory tower is dependent on the Titanic staying afloat, so you’ll have to pardon him as he’s in the denial stage of his grief. I had a manager who was a few years older than me and was super ambitious and thought he was on his way to a corporate suite. Well, when things didn’t work out at Fredex, he went and got a new “career” for himself at a Party City. Since loyalty to Fat Freddy is the basis for how this company staffs its bloated elite vs actual real world skill, white color Fedex legends often find themselves far less sought after in the real world than they were in their comfy purple cult. No one cares that you graduated from Fat Freddy’s AIM program or attended Fat Freddy’s “engineering” training sessions. He knows he’s a bad meeting or two away from making balloon animals for a living, so he’s of course going to be super optimistic all of a sudden.
Perfection.

Aquaman

If this company had made different choices over the last 10 years, I’d say maybe they could pull this off. But they don’t have enough good credit with their employees for “business as usual” to buy them enough time. Express continuing to operate smoothly is a major factor in this equation. And it’s not going to happen.

AB831

If this company had made different choices over the last 10 years, I’d say maybe they could pull this off. But they don’t have enough good credit with their employees for “business as usual” to buy them enough time. Express continuing to operate smoothly is a major factor in this equation. And it’s not going to happen.
Exactly. See the TNT merger for a preview of how this will go

bacha29

Came across a couple of contractor employed drivers out of the terminal I was at. According to what they told me the guys at the Express station that cover this particular are will not be moved into the Ground terminal . They will lose their jobs. And for any Express drivers who are thinking about going to work for a contractor.....here is by and large the nothing you have to look forward to.

Length of service seniority.....Zero
Seniority bided routes.....Zero
Wages... Zero. You'll be paid a flat per diem rate or you'll be paid entirely on a pay per stop basis or by the mile if linehaul.
Length of workday....Up to 12 hours a day and up to 70 hours per week
Overtime pay....Zero You're no longer working for hourly wages.

Benefits:

Employer funded health insurance....Zero. You'll need to go into the exchanges and buy your own.
Paid time off.....Zero
Holiday pay....Zero
Employer funded pension plan....Zero
Disability and sick pay....Zero
Paid vacation....Perhaps a week. Don't expect more.

So there it is. Granted, you might find slightly better contractor offers here and there but not by much. Rates and settlements have been cut so low contractors can't do more even if the wanted to More importantly, because of the weight and dimensions of the freight you'll have to off load and move the job is an absolute joint killer. Sure, they'll likely be some contractors come on here and try to dispute these numbers but they're simply trying to cover up the facts.

If you're Express and you know you're losing your job....the first guy out of there has first dibs on the best replacement jobs.

yadig

Came across a couple of contractor employed drivers out of the terminal I was at. According to what they told me the guys at the Express station that cover this particular are will not be moved into the Ground terminal . They will lose their jobs. And for any Express drivers who are thinking about going to work for a contractor.....here is by and large the nothing you have to look forward to.

Length of service seniority.....Zero
Seniority bided routes.....Zero
Wages... Zero. You'll be paid a flat per diem rate or you'll be paid entirely on a pay per stop basis or by the mile if linehaul.
Length of workday....Up to 12 hours a day and up to 70 hours per week
Overtime pay....Zero You're no longer working for hourly wages.

Benefits:

Employer funded health insurance....Zero. You'll need to go into the exchanges and buy your own.
Paid time off.....Zero
Holiday pay....Zero
Employer funded pension plan....Zero
Disability and sick pay....Zero
Paid vacation....Perhaps a week. Don't expect more.

So there it is. Granted, you might find slightly better contractor offers here and there but not by much. Rates and settlements have been cut so low contractors can't do more even if the wanted to More importantly, because of the weight and dimensions of the freight you'll have to off load and move the job is an absolute joint killer. Sure, they'll likely be some contractors come on here and try to dispute these numbers but they're simply trying to cover up the facts.

If you're Express and you know you're losing your job....the first guy out of there has first dibs on the best replacement jobs.
I can’t wait for iwbf to reply!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
He did just a moment ago. And what does he do? Launches into a personal attack. Which in turn represents conclusive proof that the economic terms I described earlier are correct.
Did you ever read the story about the boy who cried wolf?

bacha29

Bacha has been rambling the same nonsense for a decade. He has no idea what he’s talking about. He’s a crazy old man that grabs your arm as you are trying to walk away so he can tell you the same story he just told you. It’s getting sad at this point.
Your personal attack represents conclusive proof that the terms I described earlier are correct.
My pulling back the curtain and exposing the grim reality of contractor employment is something that was long overdue and never more needed than now given the thousands of Express employees who will soon be unemployed.
The fact that you obviously find the terms I've described embarrassing....well, that's just too bad.
The obvious solution would be for you to be a standup guy and match what Express drivers are getting paid.
Given that you constantly remind us of you being a "independent businessman" there should be no reason why you can't.
And if you can't then you're obviously NOT the "independent businessman" you foolishly keep trying to make us believe you are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Did you ever read the story about the boy who cried wolf?

I can't speak for him (thankfully!) but there are plenty of people at Express who are still holding of the belief that the majority of drivers who lose their jobs will be Ground drivers and that Express will hire them as regular employees.

I hesitate to call them stupid but a desperate mind will entertain practically any thought that brings comfort, no matter how nonsensical it is.
It would seem that a lot of Express employees aren't bothering to do just a little research and see that the corporation has boldly made it clear what they're going to do, and that is slash Express jobs in order to shift freight to lower cost Ground. They are combining opcos and slashing jobs, but only a smattering of Express employees seem to believe that. I guess they'll figure it out when their head is lying in the guillotine basket after Raj drops the blade.

zeev

Ground drivers are paid terrible in my area northern industrial rust.city. They are paid crap and have no benefits,of course they have no loyalty if you make them work they will leave faster than ever. Also the merger of Express into Ground is just a ploy to keep the Express drivers around. Purpose of Ground is cheap labor and the slaughter of Express will happen fast. A package on a truck is the same whether it’s. Called Ground or Express.

Gone fishin

Ground drivers are paid terrible in my area northern industrial rust.city. They are paid crap and have no benefits,of course they have no loyalty if you make them work they will leave faster than ever. Also the merger of Express into Ground is just a ploy to keep the Express drivers around. Purpose of Ground is cheap labor and the slaughter of Express will happen fast. A package on a truck is the same whether it’s. Called Ground or Express.
Unless it’s late , then it’s called refund

Gone fishin

I will say it’s funny to hear “cheap labor “ We’re about as cheap as it gets. UPS makes a lot more , DHL makes more , Amazon has caught us. Other than benefits, my 21 old kid makes 3 dollars less part time because he’s in school.
How much should we make , 7.50 an hour ?

It will be fine

Your personal attack represents conclusive proof that the terms I described earlier are correct.
My pulling back the curtain and exposing the grim reality of contractor employment is something that was long overdue and never more needed than now given the thousands of Express employees who will soon be unemployed.
The fact that you obviously find the terms I've described embarrassing....well, that's just too bad.
The obvious solution would be for you to be a standup guy and match what Express drivers are getting paid.
Given that you constantly remind us of you being a "independent businessman" there should be no reason why you can't.
And if you can't then you're obviously NOT the "independent businessman" you foolishly keep trying to make us believe you are.
IMG_6243.jpeg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I will say it’s funny to hear “cheap labor “ We’re about as cheap as it gets. UPS makes a lot more , DHL makes more , Amazon has caught us. Other than benefits, my 21 old kid makes 3 dollars less part time because he’s in school.
How much should we make , 7.50 an hour ?
I think a big part of this is also to take advantage of having a taxpayer-subsidized workforce. Ground drivers usually have zero benefits and by eliminating most Express employees, Raj can save himself some additional money besides wages. WalMart has been doing this forever by paying employees low wages and not offering benefits .After a year of employment Walmart employees can apply for some pretty crappy benefits, meaning the rest of us who DO pay taxes then subsidize the healthcare costs of their workers. Given the revolving door of retail, that's a pretty good deal....for the Walton family.
WalMart is the largest US employer BTW. So, Raj &Friends are going to do them one better, because as far as I know only actual FDX Ground employees are offered benefits, not contracted drivers.

Gone fishin

I think a big part of this is also to take advantage of having a taxpayer-subsidized workforce. Ground drivers usually have zero benefits and by eliminating most Express employees, Raj can save himself some additional money besides wages. WalMart has been doing this forever by paying employees low wages and not offering benefits .After a year of employment Walmart employees can apply for some pretty crappy benefits, meaning the rest of us who DO pay taxes then subsidize the healthcare costs of their workers. Given the revolving door of retail, that's a pretty good deal....for the Walton family.
WalMart is the largest US employer BTW. So, Raj &Friends are going to do them one better, because as far as I know only actual FDX Ground employees are offered benefits, not contracted drivers.
Walmart is delivering their product , our product is our service. We better be on point or people can use another service

bacha29

Another personal attack. Post as many as you want because I will not apologize for posting an accurate picture of the compensation package that would be available to an Express courier should he consider going to work for a contractor.
And the fact that you do not dispute or deny the pay package I've described serves to reaffirm it's accuracy.
Earlier you described Express couriers and "privileged" and "whiny". So why would you want them anyway?
The more important question....why would any of them want to come work for you?
And given the compensation package and the quality of the daily work experience.....they won't have to look far or wait long to find something better than what you have.