The Express employee massacre continues.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
100% agree. Express Couriers days are numbered.
F1B5BC5F-35B9-4D98-BB4B-0391F7A9EE4C.gif

Gone fishin

I did a bit more research and Walmart offers extremely limited benefits after a year. It isn’t really a true medical/dental plan. My point is that FedEx will be saving a huge amount by eliminating employees who receive benefits now.
I would expect Ground-level poor service across the entire product line.
So do you think a bunch of elves will apply for ground knowing what the pay and benefits are ? How about I hire you for 6 bucks an hour and a candy bar and work 12 hours a day.
I can write anything on paper , why would anyone stay.
Did we hire Raj for 35,000 a year. That Save money. 2023 Express employees aren’t exactly wealthy , fedex has to actually pay a living wage with meaningful benefits. I don’t think that’s a lot to ask for.
Quit thinking cheap labor , to make everyone rich but the workers

lilwizbiz

So do you think a bunch of elves will apply for ground knowing what the pay and benefits are ? How about I hire you for 6 bucks an hour and a candy bar and work 12 hours a day.
Did we hire Raj for 35,000 a year. That Save money. 2023 Express employees aren’t exactly wealthy , fedex has to actually pay a living wage with meaningful benefits. I don’t think that’s a lot to ask for.
These ground guys think getting rid of express will be a good thing. We’d have a Great Depression 2.0 if they did that. Half the world will lose their jobs.

bacha29

Why do UPS teamsters make what they make? It's because the market will bear it. Yes, we heard the UPS poor mouthing and cries of poverty today. It's the same tactic you hear every contract year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think a big part of this is also to take advantage of having a taxpayer-subsidized workforce. Ground drivers usually have zero benefits and by eliminating most Express employees, Raj can save himself some additional money besides wages. WalMart has been doing this forever by paying employees low wages and not offering benefits .After a year of employment Walmart employees can apply for some pretty crappy benefits, meaning the rest of us who DO pay taxes then subsidize the healthcare costs of their workers. Given the revolving door of retail, that's a pretty good deal....for the Walton family.
WalMart is the largest US employer BTW. So, Raj &Friends are going to do them one better, because as far as I know only actual FDX Ground employees are offered benefits, not contracted drivers.
Why don’t Republicans whine about how WalMart is increasing health care costs, raising our taxes and increasing the deficit? Nope. Can’t do that because Wally World is a job creator and owned by Conservatives.
District manager said today we (I) am in a market that this is not going to effect for several more years. And that it’s business as usual. So when I’m closer to 20 yrs in and it’s even harder for me to find a good, that’s when my district will make the cuts and I’ll be screwed. So it’s good news !
Yes!! And you can certainly trust everything he says, right?? Most likely lying to your face, which never happens at FedEx.

It will be fine

There are more Ground drivers than Express drivers currently in the US. You may want it to be the case that higher pay and better benefits are necessary to remain staffed, but that doesn’t make it true.

Gone fishin

There are more Ground drivers than Express drivers currently in the US. You may want it to be the case that higher pay and better benefits are necessary to remain staffed, but that doesn’t make it true.
Would you want your kid to work at ground and not in my area. Too many better jobs , that’s why our ground hub is terrible

Mutineer

You may want it to be the case that higher pay and better benefits are necessary to remain staffed, but that doesn’t make it true.

There is plenty of unskilled labor in the United States to be had for poverty wages.

All they need are work visas and/or authorization to work.

I'm sure that if the correct politicians are bribed, the current (or any) regime will cheerfully oblige.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Dano knows his cushy little ivory tower is dependent on the Titanic staying afloat, so you’ll have to pardon him as he’s in the denial stage of his grief. I had a manager who was a few years older than me and was super ambitious and thought he was on his way to a corporate suite. Well, when things didn’t work out at Fredex, he went and got a new “career” for himself at a Party City. Since loyalty to Fat Freddy is the basis for how this company staffs its bloated elite vs actual real world skill, white color Fedex legends often find themselves far less sought after in the real world than they were in their comfy purple cult. No one cares that you graduated from Fat Freddy’s AIM program or attended Fat Freddy’s “engineering” training sessions. He knows he’s a bad meeting or two away from making balloon animals for a living, so he’s of course going to be super optimistic all of a sudden.
It could be worse. I could leave and then keep coming back years after the fact and whining and moaning about how traumatized it all was, like you and MF. You could form a support group and everything.

As for now, I'll keep cashing checks. Well, not really. It's direct deposit, but the sentiment is the same.

59 Dano

It would seem that a lot of Express employees aren't bothering to do just a little research and see that the corporation has boldly made it clear what they're going to do, and that is slash Express jobs in order to shift freight to lower cost Ground. They are combining opcos and slashing jobs, but only a smattering of Express employees seem to believe that. I guess they'll figure it out when their head is lying in the guillotine basket after Raj drops the blade.
Someone has a flair for the dramatic.

59 Dano

That doesn’t seem like a likely outcome. I don’t think the largest air cargo company in the world is going out of business anytime soon. It’s not like there are many options for shippers that are comparable even if service drops.
But RESPONSE! ZAPMAIL! SOMETHING ELSE!!!

59 Dano

I’m saying the stock could drop low enough and a company could buy it and run it efficiently.
The first thing they'd do is eliminate many of the redundancies that exist between Ground and Express.

You may not have noticed, but that's already being done

HedleyLamarr

The purge at my station has officially begun. It was announced today that PM pup routes are going to be dissolved and the pups will be done by the AM drivers. Seems somewhat counter productive as one would assume that the AM couriers will be getting more OT having to get more pickups, but we are supposed to get more details on Friday.

Gone fishin

The purge at my station has officially begun. It was announced today that PM pup routes are going to be dissolved and the pups will be done by the AM drivers. Seems somewhat counter productive as one would assume that the AM couriers will be getting more OT having to get more pickups, but we are supposed to get more details on Friday.
That’s impossible at our station