The Express employee massacre continues.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We'll see. People need to think long and hard before they just brush off the thought of being represented by the teamsters, like many did 15 years ago when teamsters tried to unionize FedEx Canada.

We still have people who think we're insulated from what's happening down South. They fail to look around and notice our senior management is no longer in Canada; no one is going to protect us (not that they would have anyways.). I know many of the old heads aren't going to sign union cards because it won't benefit them. Just hoping the younger guys and gals at least see what's happening and realize the only shot to save our jobs is going to be by organizing.
Hopefully, they’ll see what FedEx is doing to the Express people here and realize that’s the only way they can protect their jobs. Despite the brainwashing, FedEx is not your friend.

vantexan

No one probably wants to hear this, but have you considered this may be about more than just greed? When Ground came fully online what did the company do? They downsized a lot of Express routes to Sprinters. Market conditions had changed and they sent a lot of bulk to Ground to meet those conditions. A lot of Express freight didn't need to be delivered in 1-3 days and shippers wanted a lower cost solution.

Now look what is happening in the economy. There are starting to be a lot of layoffs by major companies. Amazon is laying off people. This is no shock to economists who've been warning that the conditions for a serious recession, and possibly something bigger than the Great Depression, are coming together. All these companies are aware of this and are starting to restructure for a very challenging environment that may last for a very long time. Possibly a decade.

FedEx is no different. If we are hammered economically they aren't going to fly half empty jets and carry a full workforce because they've never laid off in the past. They are structuring the company to run as economically as possible to still be viable and make a profit. And most importantly survive.

It absolutely sucks for people looking for lifetime employment. But this is the harsh reality. During the Great Depression we had 25% unemployment. A lot of businesses failed. We've gotten used to easy credit and running on debt. There are economic principles that haven't changed and now those principles are coming home to roost. The people who run these companies are aware of all of this. What we are told upfront is a fraction of what is discussed behind the scenes. They are, and have been, planning for something big. How big remains to be seen, but we've recently gone through a version of the Roaring 20's. If you're familiar with the 1920's you know how that ended.

Good luck to all of us. I depend very much on a small pension. I hope there's no collapse so severe that my pension disappears. I hope all of you find something decent very soon if you're Iaid off. I truly hope we don't end up in a war with China because without the economic activity to sustain them they might start attacking our allies. WWII pretty much got us out of the Great Depression. But this time there's nukes.

bacha29

No one probably wants to hear this, but have you considered this may be about more than just greed? When Ground came fully online what did the company do? They downsized a lot of Express routes to Sprinters. Market conditions had changed and they sent a lot of bulk to Ground to meet those conditions. A lot of Express freight didn't need to be delivered in 1-3 days and shippers wanted a lower cost solution.

Now look what is happening in the economy. There are starting to be a lot of layoffs by major companies. Amazon is laying off people. This is no shock to economists who've been warning that the conditions for a serious recession, and possibly something bigger than the Great Depression, are coming together. All these companies are aware of this and are starting to restructure for a very challenging environment that may last for a very long time. Possibly a decade.

FedEx is no different. If we are hammered economically they aren't going to fly half empty jets and carry a full workforce because they've never laid off in the past. They are structuring the company to run as economically as possible to still be viable and make a profit. And most importantly survive.

It absolutely sucks for people looking for lifetime employment. But this is the harsh reality. During the Great Depression we had 25% unemployment. A lot of businesses failed. We've gotten used to easy credit and running on debt. There are economic principles that haven't changed and now those principles are coming home to roost. The people who run these companies are aware of all of this. What we are told upfront is a fraction of what is discussed behind the scenes. They are, and have been, planning for something big. How big remains to be seen, but we've recently gone through a version of the Roaring 20's. If you're familiar with the 1920's you know how that ended.

Good luck to all of us. I depend very much on a small pension. I hope there's no collapse so severe that my pension disappears. I hope all of you find something decent very soon if you're Iaid off. I truly hope we don't end up in a war with China because without the economic activity to sustain them they might start attacking our allies. WWII pretty much got us out of the Great Depression. But this time there's nukes.
Corporate apologist.

It will be fine

Please don’t turn another thread into a political debate. Keep it on current events.

MAKAVELI

No, just reporting what I've gleaned from a lot of in the know analysts.
Except for the fact that these combined buildings are taking Express freight and moving it to the Ground side. This isn't about the customer choosing a cheaper option. It's about the company choosing a cheaper option.

vantexan

Except for the fact that these combined buildings are taking Express freight and moving it to the Ground side. This isn't about the customer choosing a cheaper option. It's about the company choosing a cheaper option.
If the economy goes south in a very bad way the company will be able to ride it out by lowering their overhead. That was my point.

MAKAVELI

If the economy goes south in a very bad way the company will be able to ride it out by lowering their overhead. That was my point.
UPS has done just fine with all employees. Using contractors is just greed. FedEx is celebrating 50 years this week with food, trinkets and banners while at the same time trying to get rid of its employees. It's a friend* joke.

vantexan

Yeah we were afraid Fred was going to be living hand to mouth.
You guys aren't getting it. Of course they're greedy. They want to maintain that no matter the economy. If it does get severe and they haven't taken these steps they risk the company going under. That's very possible under the right economic circumstances. Not a matter of feeling sorry for them or hand wringing that Fred is going to go broke. It's the brutal dog eat dog reality of a depression event. IWBF is poo pooing this because he thinks I'm suggesting it's the fault of a particular party. The fact is that the economy should have been allowed to clear out the dead wood in 2008 but the Fed turned on the money printer and kept things afloat. That's no longer a viable option.

Let me give you an example. When the pandemic started a lot of companies started having their employees work from home. My wife works for a call center that rented three stories in an office building in KS. As the pandemic stretched out they decided to stop renting two of the floors and kept most of the employees at home using computers and headsets to do their job. This has happened all over the country and commercial real estate owners are having serious problems making their mortgages. So what? This will greatly affect banks, causing more bank failures. This is just one facet of what is going on out there that is likely to lead to a severe recession. Or worse. If you aren't already you might give more attention to what going on around us. It's not just about corporate greed at FedEx.

vantexan

Then take it to current events.
I'm discussing what might be an underlying reason behind FedEx restructuring. Belongs here. I get it, you hate the company. I'm not a fan either. But people should be aware of everything going on to make informed decisions about what they're personally going to do about it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It absolutely sucks for people looking for lifetime employment. But this is the harsh reality. During the Great Depression we had 25% unemployment. A lot of businesses failed. We've gotten used to easy credit and running on debt. There are economic principles that haven't changed and now those principles are coming home to roost. The people who run these companies are aware of all of this. What we are told upfront is a fraction of what is discussed behind the scenes. They are, and have been, planning for something big. How big remains to be seen, but we've recently gone through a version of the Roaring 20's. If you're familiar with the 1920's you know how that ended. nd

Continuing to defend the indefensible. After the screwing they gave you (and all of us) over the years, FedEx deserves nothing but criticism for being the exploitative employer they are for trying to foist this whole scheme upon regulators as "nothing has changed".
Your small pension could have been $5-6K per month with a union. We all subsidized the Ground expansion through low wages, infrequent raises, a lousy pension which is now no pension at all, and poor benefits with high co-pays and deductibles.
As far as a war with China goes, do you realize that the US is China's biggest trading partner? We all witnessed what happened to OUR economy when Covid shutdown the CHINESE economy, as in massively disrupted supply chains, a lack of vital automotive and industrial parts and no Tupperware at the local WalMart, who is the prime example of dependence upon Chinese manufacturing and also offshoring of formerly American jobs, mostly to China.
The Right doesn't understand global economies, global supply chains or Republican-owned companies outsourcing the jobs they now whine about constantly.
No, China doesn't want a war with it's biggest customer, and Fred wants you to believe every lie he has fed to employees over the years. Some are still buying it. Sad.