The Express employee massacre continues.

Gone fishin

I can't help but think of Uber. The entire company is ride sharing and food delivery, but they employ no drivers.
The difference between ground and express was express was a career and ground is a job. Ground will sucker these guys in for some pocket money with little to no benefits. Express provided a retirement , ascending pay and vacations , paid sick days and 4 personal days.
The new American way , switch to the cheapest and low quality employees.

The difference between ground and express was express was a career and ground is a job. Ground will sucker these guys in for some pocket money with little to no benefits. Express provided a retirement , ascending pay and vacations , paid sick days and 4 personal days.
The new American way , switch to the cheapest and low quality employees.

It's funny, a few years back I told the ground driver on my route that we were hiring drivers at UPS. He said it would interfere with his second job, stocking shelves at a local grocery store. I told him if he drove for us he wouldn't need a second job, he said, "nah man, I really have it good here." I couldn't even respond.

Gone fishin

It's funny, a few years back I told the ground driver on my route that we were hiring drivers at UPS. He said it would interfere with his second job, stocking shelves at a local grocery store. I told him if he drove for us he wouldn't need a second job, he said, "nah man, I really have it good here." I couldn't even respond.
They actually think like that. I’d rather make 20 bucks an hour with benefits and a future. Keep looking for a better job at the same time

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Amazing, isn't it? I have a buddy in Feeders. He's only 52, but has over 30 years as a Teamster. He can go whenever he wants and he makes bank. Oh, yeah, because he's so senior he works days. He doesn't say what he pension is, but I'd say $6k per month easy. FedEx people have no idea.

zeev

I used to hang as Cdl driver waiting for pickups there was a Ground driver I talked to he sat unpaid from 2-5 pm . I saw a UPS driver and asked him about it he said to much work. Problem with adding Express is that most of these Ground drivers are short term and it won’t take much for them to leave.

bacha29

I used to hang as Cdl driver waiting for pickups there was a Ground driver I talked to he sat unpaid from 2-5 pm . I saw a UPS driver and asked him about it he said to much work. Problem with adding Express is that most of these Ground drivers are short term and it won’t take much for them to leave.
Contractors will need 3 guys on every truck.....1 coming....1 driving....1 leaving.....Come to think of it....better make it 4.....Counting the guy who never showed up for his first day on the job.....Got a better job the day before.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Express drivers used to regularly work split-shifts, as in having an unpaid break between 12 and 2. They used to pay an extra dollar per hour to make it more palatable but the math obviously works in the favor of the company. Total scam. I'm not surprised they also do it at Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Contractors will need 3 guys on every truck.....1 coming....1 driving....1 leaving.....Come to think of it....better make it 4.....Counting the guy who never showed up for his first day on the job.....Got a better job the day before.
Maybe to begin with but their brand name is all over this. There’s a lot of savings they can make and they’ll be able to afford to get solid drivers. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

But the proverbial chips are all on the table now.

MAKAVELI

Maybe to begin with but their brand name is all over this. There’s a lot of savings they can make and they’ll be able to afford to get solid drivers. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

But the proverbial chips are all on the table now.
If they wanted to keep the brand they'd make everyone employees. They aren't going to have their cake and eat it too.

lilwizbiz

I love how it's all been a he said she said and nobody provides anything solid from the company. Pure gossip. If what you're saying is true then provide us screenshots that you got this in writing. You don't so that's that lol.

SmithBarney

You get what you pay for. If they wanted service and keep the brand strong then yes. You got to spend money to make money sometimes.
As more and more of my commercial customers are finding out about what is happening, the look of dismay in their eyes, Grounds reputation is not good.

SmithBarney

There’s a reason FedEx gives them the cheap unimportant stuff to deliver…
until their not.. just assume 70-80% of the couriers around you will be gone. and whats left will be Part time. Most Seasoned couriers aren't going to stick around for PT hrs, whats left are the new hires which many are barely better than the local Ground guys. I don't care if the ground guy can balance a couch on his nose while delivering 20 Chewy boxes, and still hit 25stops an hour, as soon as they have to start making 3 loops of their area hitting time commits with no stand alones(that means commit packages delivered first) Who is going to work for $150/day and now 20% more time on road.

lilwizbiz

until their not.. just assume 70-80% of the couriers around you will be gone. and whats left will be Part time. Most Seasoned couriers aren't going to stick around for PT hrs, whats left are the new hires which many are barely better than the local Ground guys. I don't care if the ground guy can balance a couch on his nose while delivering 20 Chewy boxes, and still hit 25stops an hour, as soon as they have to start making 3 loops of their area hitting time commits with no stand alones(that means commit packages delivered first) Who is going to work for $150/day and now 20% more time on road.
Why would I assume that? Because browncafe said so? Browncafe tells you to jump off a bridge you’ll do it? Your managers came up to you and said you’re all being let go? No. So what’s all the stress about ?

SmithBarney

Why would I assume that? Because browncafe said so? Browncafe tells you to jump off a bridge you’ll do it? Your managers came up to you and said you’re all being let go? No. So what’s all the stress about ?
No, Mgrs said "Some Sta will get absorbed by ground, Some Stations will take ground freight, and some Stations will take all ground(AK and HI), some they aren't sure because of market dynamics."

I will tell you this they didn't hatch the plan overnight, there is a plan, your station has its plan, its dates are set. If they were being honest they would tell people whats going on. Problem is, if they tell people the truth, they will start leaving, working less hard, pretty much not giving a damn.

If they told you JUNE 1 we are letting you go, but we want you to keep working your ass off til you punch out that last day, I promise you most would say Foff and looking for jobs the next day, there is a reason they are keeping everyone in the dark til the last minute.

First look around the stations that have been announced, have been gutted.

bbsam

Staff member
If they wanted to keep the brand they'd make everyone employees. They aren't going to have their cake and eat it too.
So you’re saying they don’t want to keep the brand? Nonsense. They want their cake and they wanna eat it too. They may not get that but it’s not for lack of desire/

MAKAVELI

So you’re saying they don’t want to keep the brand? Nonsense. They want their cake and they wanna eat it too. They may not get that but it’s not for lack of desire/
It doesn't matter what they desire. The board and executive management have been removed so far from reality for a very long time. This is the same management that bought Kinkos, TNT, implemented Response and Estar, among a bunch of other failed projects.