The Express employee massacre continues.

vantexan

Continuing to defend the indefensible. After the screwing they gave you (and all of us) over the years, FedEx deserves nothing but criticism for being the exploitative employer they are for trying to foist this whole scheme upon regulators as "nothing has changed".
Your small pension could have been $5-6K per month with a union. We all subsidized the Ground expansion through low wages, infrequent raises, a lousy pension which is now no pension at all, and poor benefits with high co-pays and deductibles.
As far as a war with China goes, do you realize that the US is China's biggest trading partner? We all witnessed what happened to OUR economy when Covid shutdown the CHINESE economy, as in massively disrupted supply chains, a lack of vital automotive and industrial parts and no Tupperware at the local WalMart, who is the prime example of dependence upon Chinese manufacturing and also offshoring of formerly American jobs, mostly to China.
The Right doesn't understand global economies, global supply chains or Republican-owned companies outsourcing the jobs they now whine about constantly.
No, China doesn't want a war with it's biggest customer, and Fred wants you to believe every lie he has fed to employees over the years. Some are still buying it. Sad.
You're totally focused on your hatred of FedEx. I am in no way defending what they're doing. Just recognizing that they may be looking at things going on in the economy that may require them to do what's necessary for their survival. And yes increasing profits and maintaining the increase is at the root of everything they're doing. But I may be wrong since as a conservative I don't have a clue. But tell me, is there anything you said that hasn't been mulled over publicly by pretty much everyone literally forever?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're totally focused on your hatred of FedEx. I am in no way defending what they're doing. Just recognizing that they may be looking at things going on in the economy that may require them to do what's necessary for their survival. And yes increasing profits and maintaining the increase is at the root of everything they're doing. But I may be wrong since as a conservative I don't have a clue. But tell me, is there anything you said that hasn't been mulled over publicly by pretty much everyone literally forever?
In other words, you're defending them.

bacha29

No, you can't stand hearing anything but 24/7 attacks. Why have a rational discussion about real world issues when ranting and raving are so much more satisfying, huh?
Stop being a corporate apologist. Fat Freddy has been gaming the system all his life. Fat Freddy put Raj in charge because he thought that of all of his little minions Raj has the most game in him.

Empty Pockets

You cannot start a moving company and just contract the moves out to other moving companies. You will have no control over the workers. FedEx thinks that they are gonna sell shipments at top dollar and get paid for their reputations while hiring it out to be done by subcontractors right out in the open. Maybe I am wrong. I was about bottled water when it came out. "Yea, right...who is gonna pay the same price as a coke and just get water. We all tote a jug full of water around anyways." They probably sell more bottles of water today than cokes. Since folks today are so stupid that they cannot see how stupid they are, this may work as well. Gut, if it doesn't, and it is a huge risk, it will be the end of the company and their bought reputation.

Empty Pockets

I am not on facebook but it appears someone on the fedex page is saying they are upping the severance. It still sucks for anyone under 55.

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_6992.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_6992.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 36

bacha29

You cannot start a moving company and just contract the moves out to other moving companies. You will have no control over the workers. FedEx thinks that they are gonna sell shipments at top dollar and get paid for their reputations while hiring it out to be done by subcontractors right out in the open. Maybe I am wrong. I was about bottled water when it came out. "Yea, right...who is gonna pay the same price as a coke and just get water. We all tote a jug full of water around anyways." They probably sell more bottles of water today than cokes. Since folks today are so stupid that they cannot see how stupid they are, this may work as well. Gut, if it doesn't, and it is a huge risk, it will be the end of the company and their bought reputation.
Being encumbered with shipments that are much more time sensitive Ground contractors will be assuming a much higher risk of service failures for what appears to be little to nothing in the way of rate premiums for taking on that risk.

vantexan

Stop being a corporate apologist. Fat Freddy has been gaming the system all his life. Fat Freddy put Raj in charge because he thought that of all of his little minions Raj has the most game in him.
If everything was crashing around you you'd still demand UPS wages and benefits. Let's see how it goes after they combine operations. If Express ends up a primarily part-time workforce they'll have to top people out faster to keep them. And with them working in the same building as Ground they'll likely insure that their contractors are paying better too. This is assuming that combining operations makes them much more profitable. If they are then they'll have to pay better. In spite of what @It will be fine thinks the Ground guys haven't been doing the same job and to demand people do everything both opcos do at low pay and few if any benefits won't last long. That's a fantasy.

And IWBF, Express once did do all of it before Ground came along. We drove 700's and 900's, often bulked out, and had to run like maniacs all day to get the freight off and pickups done. Handled international and haz too. Yes, it can be done. But the demands on us were much more than when we started driving Sprinters delivering lightweight Amazon and overnight letters. But we did it because we had, or so we thought, a future. I'm betting a lot of people would rather take a $12-$14hr job than hump like that for $18hr. About the only way FedEx will have enough workers without higher pay is if the economy crashes severely and laid off people are desperate for anything.

bacha29

If everything was crashing around you you'd still demand UPS wages and benefits. Let's see how it goes after they combine operations. If Express ends up a primarily part-time workforce they'll have to top people out faster to keep them. And with them working in the same building as Ground they'll likely insure that their contractors are paying better too. This is assuming that combining operations makes them much more profitable. If they are then they'll have to pay better. In spite of what @It will be fine thinks the Ground guys haven't been doing the same job and to demand people do everything both opcos do at low pay and few if any benefits won't last long. That's a fantasy.

And IWBF, Express once did do all of it before Ground came along. We drove 700's and 900's, often bulked out, and had to run like maniacs all day to get the freight off and pickups done. Handled international and haz too. Yes, it can be done. But the demands on us were much more than when we started driving Sprinters delivering lightweight Amazon and overnight letters. But we did it because we had, or so we thought, a future. I'm betting a lot of people would rather take a $12-$14hr job than hump like that for $18hr. About the only way FedEx will have enough workers without higher pay is if the economy crashes severely and laid off people are desperate for anything.
Just a suggestion regarding something that might ease your suffering. Perhaps if you were to begin attending CAA meetings
( Corporate Apologists Anonymous) you might find the peace that appears to be evading you.

vantexan

Just a suggestion regarding something that might ease your suffering. Perhaps if you were to begin attending CAA meetings
( Corporate Apologists Anonymous) you might find the peace that appears to be evading you.
Hasn't worked for you yet so why would I bother?

fdxsux

I am not on facebook but it appears someone on the fedex page is saying they are upping the severance. It still sucks for anyone under 55.
We had a guy that decided to retire and he wasn’t eligible for severance. The only people eligible for severance are those that are being displaced and only if there is not another available position within 50 miles.

It will be fine

My guess would be once operations are combined they’ll put another schedule in our agreement mandating benefits that must be provided. They’ll increase our compensation for about 80% of that cost and tell us we’ll make up the rest with increased retention. It won’t work out and they’ll scratch their heads and blame the contractors like they always do.

bbsam

Staff member
Except for the fact that these combined buildings are taking Express freight and moving it to the Ground side. This isn't about the customer choosing a cheaper option. It's about the company choosing a cheaper option.
Did you think this company would choose a more expensive option?

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Lots of rumors floating around. Local Express station telling couriers they hate guaranteed jobs with contractors. That they can “bump” lower seniority Ground drivers 🤣.

The real takeaway I’m getting is that Express is going to be absorbed. At first I thought they’d handle P1’s etc., but I’ve been in contact with contractors who have been told to and are ramping up for the entire thing.

If I thought FedEx had thought this through and wasn’t going to try to do it on the cheap, I’d think they stood a chance. As it is, I think their reputation is going to take a huge hit.

zeev

They are going to absorb Express and do away with it no reason for it if you can have fast food labor, Express stations are mostly rented , Ground stations are built explicitly for FedEx and are more sophisticated, also if there is a recession the contractors bear all the driver and vehicle burden, call Spencer Patton if you need help.

FdxVmx

They are going to absorb Express and do away with it no reason for it if you can have fast food labor, Express stations are mostly rented , Ground stations are built explicitly for FedEx and are more sophisticated, also if there is a recession the contractors bear all the driver and vehicle burden, call Spencer Patton if you need help.
What do you guys think will happen to vehicle maintenance ? I’ve been a mechanic at Express for 17 years. I cover a station and a small ramp but I’m sure the station can be absorbed and the ramp may go down to a feeder or just go away. My manager said that Ground trailers are FedEx owned and we would have Express trucks and trailers to work on but I don’t think he knows what’s going on either. At 45 years old I don’t know if I should wait it out or jump ship. I currently have an opportunity to go work at UPS and other options but not sure what to do. I’m also thinking of going on my own and work on FedEx vehicles and equipment.

HedleyLamarr

I can't help but think of Uber. The entire company is ride sharing and food delivery, but they employ no drivers.
This past year the company has been paying alot of money to send all our Sprinters to get repainted and some much needed body work done. This tells me that my area is safe for now. But that isn't stopping me from getting ready to move on. Only a matter of time.