The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

MostHelpNeeded

Yeah, I wouldn’t even have gotten involved if it wasn’t for seeing someone saying the benchmark should be 50 an hr.
I feel like you need to hear a different point of view...

For as long as I've been here, and been alive, a UPS driver has always been a well paying job, and UPS has always made good profits while paying its drivers well.

For as long as I've been here, going rate for a decent rental (3br) has been about equal to and average weeks pay (45 hours)...Up until the last two years

$50/hr sounds like a lot of money, I get that. The same way $27 used to sound like a lot of money while I was waiting to hit top rate. "I'll be able to pay my rent in one week, and still have some left over!" The truth is, $50 is not a lot of money in todays world. In reality, our raises for the last few contracts have been under par. $.70, .80, even a whole $1 a year just isn't enough, relative to our rate. On average, we need 3% to keep up with inflation. Our raises for the last three contracts, have been about $.25 under that inflation amount. When you add that up over the years, we should be closer to $45/hr now. If you can understand that, then maybe that $50/hr doesn't sound so off. It's basically, that $45 + 8-9% to account for last years inflation. They're in all reality, paying drivers less than they were 10 years ago, you need to understand that that has happened. It's the thought process of $50/hr is too much that gets us there. Inflation is real, and if you don't keep up, you're going backwards.

Stop worrying about UPS' profits. People who make way more money to worry about those profits, worry about those profits. UPS raises rates every year which makes up for every raise we get. Record profits has been a common phrase for a while here now. Any chance that has to do with the 'cut' in payroll, as I just explained?

Amazon won't destroy us. The volume isn't going anywhere. The day will come when Amazon's retail sales will stop growing. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now, but one day some retail start up will take attention and then market share away from Amazon, and when this massive network they've built becomes a liability, they will start cutting, especially after Bezos goes and the company inevitability gets run by a string of people looking to make their millions and bale. There will always be competition for Amazon, and because of that, there will always be a need for us. We deliver, and their is so much more market then just direct to consumer sales.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

For as long as I've been here, and been alive, a UPS driver has always been a well paying job, and UPS has always made good profits while paying its drivers well.

For as long as I've been here, going rate for a decent rental (3br) has been about equal to and average weeks pay (45 hours)...Up until the last two years

$50/hr sounds like a lot of money, I get that. The same way $27 used to sound like a lot of money while I was waiting to hit top rate. "I'll be able to pay my rent in one week, and still have some left over!" The truth is, $50 is not a lot of money in todays world. In reality, our raises for the last few contracts have been under par. $.70, .80, even a whole $1 a year just isn't enough, relative to our rate. On average, we need 3% to keep up with inflation. Our raises for the last two contracts, have been about $.25 under that inflation amount. When you add that up over the years, we should be closer to $45/hr now. If you can understand that, then maybe that $50/hr doesn't sound so off. It's basically, that $45 + 8-9% to account for last years inflation. They're in all reality, paying drivers less than they were 10 years ago, you need to understand that that has happened. It's the thought process of $50/hr is too much that gets us there. Inflation is real, and if you don't keep up, you're going backwards.

Stop worrying about UPS' profits. People who make way more money to worry about those profits, worry about those profits. UPS raises rates every year which makes up for every raise we get. Record profits has been a common phrase for a while here now. Any chance that has to do with the 'cut' in payroll, as I just explained?

Amazon won't destroy us. The volume isn't going anywhere. The day will come when Amazon's retail sales will stop growing. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now, but one day some retail start up will take attention and then market share away from Amazon, and when this massive network they've built becomes a liability, they will start cutting, especially after Bezos goes and the company inevitability gets run by a string of people looking to make their millions and bale. There will always be competition for Amazon, and because of that, there will always be a need for us. We deliver, and their is so much more market then just direct to consumer sales.
We're on the Zimbabwe road. Driver's will hit $100 and it still will be low

Non liberal

$50/hr sounds like a lot of money, I get that. The same way $27 used to sound like a lot of money while I was waiting to hit top rate. "I'll be able to pay my rent in one week, and still have some left over!" The truth is, $50 is not a lot of money in todays world. In reality, our raises for the last few contracts have been under par. $.70, .80, even a whole $1 a year just isn't enough, relative to our rate. On average, we need 3% to keep up with inflation. Our raises for the last three contracts, have been about $.25 under that inflation amount. When you add that up over the years, we should be closer to $45/hr now. If you can understand that, then maybe that $50/hr doesn't sound so off. It's basically, that $45 + 8-9% to account for last years inflation. They're in all reality, paying drivers less than they were 10 years ago, you need to understand that that has happened. It's the thought process of $50/hr is too much that gets us there. Inflation is real, and if you don't keep up, you're going backwards.

You can keep raising rates to pay employees more then the competition for long. It apparently was doable when it was just fed ex. Now your adding Amazon to the mix. If renting is to expensive then buy something. Somehow there is half the country that gets by that doesn’t make what we make. 40an hour is alot of money, it is more then anyone else in the transportation industry. We’re doing just fine.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nope, but Amazon can take our customers from us when ups can’t offer their services to them at a reasonable price anymore because some hairbrain driver thinks the benchmark for his pay should be set at 50$ hr. Why he thinks he should be paid 50$ hr to deliver boxes, I have no earthly idea. How about just be happy with already being the best paid drivers in the labor market, across all industry, having a pension, and good insurance. I mean, we make 10$ hr more then fed-ex for doing the same damn thing.
Sorry to bust your bubble but we don’t do the same thing as FedEx

MostHelpNeeded

You can keep raising rates to pay employees more then the competition for long. It apparently was doable when it was just fed ex. Now your adding Amazon to the mix. If renting is to expensive then buy something. Somehow there is half the country that gets by that doesn’t make what we make. 40an hour is alot of money, it is more then anyone else in the transportation industry. We’re doing just fine.
Yeah, there was REA, Airborn Express, DHL, There's the post office, There's amazon and Laser Ship and a whole host of regional outfits. The delivery market is huge, and for the forseeable future is only going to get bigger. Amazon delivers what they sell. A lot of people buy from them. Why do you think that will last forever? Just like every other retail giant, something new will come along. To compete with us, they have to deliver other peoples goods...and be successful and profitable at it. It's not just delivering from a warehouse. There's the whole other side of picking up and moving all that. Yeah it can be done, but they're just not our competition yet. They would face an uphill battle trying to gain all of their competitions business.

Anyways lol, Do you want this to continue to be a good job, as it always has been? Then it needs to pay well, as it always has

Johney

Are Amazon warehouse's even set up to transfer freight like UPS and FedEx? I know they have huge buildings, but aren't most of that space for their merchandise?