The Postal Reform Act Of 2022

yadig

It's right there in 103.1 Authorized nonpostal services. That could very easily be banking services that may or may not require a state or federal issued bank charter. Nonpostal is for all intents and purposes an open invitation to the USPS to pursue other revenue generating opportunities that prove themselves profitable. Walmart experiments all the time with new products and services. Looks like the post office is going to be given the chance to try as well.
Banking, haircut, eye exam… Are we talking about the post office or Walmart?

bacha29

Banking, haircut, eye exam… Are we talking about the post office or Walmart?
Have to wait an see but I could see a notary public, dog license, property tax collector installment loans the USPS might even go into the insurance business, there's not much they can't go into provided that they can get state and or federal licensing or authorization. There's a lot of services that it might be able to provide out in the rural areas that could be such a convenience that it could be profitable to do.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Have to wait an see but I could see a notary public, dog license, property tax collector installment loans the USPS might even go into the insurance business, there's not much they can't go into provided that they can get state and or federal licensing or authorization. There's a lot of services that it might be able to provide out in the rural areas that could be such a convenience that it could be profitable to do.
So USPS is going to take their expertise in losing money and expand into a bunch more stupid crap hardly anyone would use.

Brilliant.

bacha29

So USPS is going to take their expertise in losing money and expand into a bunch more stupid crap hardly anyone would use.

Brilliant.
As a career package handler with perhaps a high school diploma I quite certain that your market data will be given serious consideration.....no doubt about it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
As a career package handler with perhaps a high school diploma I quite certain that your market data will be given serious consideration.....no doubt about it.
I'm sure given your career as a pretentious whining hag, the USPS will be giving serious consideration to your brilliant idea that they start selling "dog licenses" to help them with their little problem of losing 7 billion dollars last year.

Crawl back in your hole little lady.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Go back and look at the basics of the PRA. The USPS is now free to pursue all other products and services for which they can gain regulatory approval to offer and prove themselves profitable to do. I know guys like you better than your own mothers. If the USPS can be a the best source for your borrowing needs you'll be right there to take advantage of it despite all of your laughter and snide comments.
Oh, absolutely. Because they'd offer stupid benefits that no other lender would offer, lose a ton of money, and probably not even bother making me pay it back. Hard to beat a loan with rates and benefits that I can't get anywhere else that I might not have to even repay!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well that’s not how Social Security came into being. I believe that tax rates were relatively high back then. Fact is, “being responsible” meant having a high tax rate. Maybe being responsible means increasing taxes and stop pretending that tax cuts “pay for themselves”.
If tax cuts result in increased revenue, there's no need to pretend.

I'm a believer in the adage that if you cut taxes and revenues increase, you didn't cut taxes enough. Too many people make it a priority to fund runaway spending instead of making it a priority to stop spending so much.

bbsam

Staff member
Anyone who thinks a company should pay taxes (and that society is somehow better off if they do) is an economic jackass.
So you think all is well with 21st century economics?

“Why’d you rob the banks?”

Why tax corporations?

Same answer.

Can’t exactly cry about deficit spending and ignore simple fact. Unless of course you’re an economic maroon in the 21st century.

bbsam

Staff member
If tax cuts result in increased revenue, there's no need to pretend.

I'm a believer in the adage that if you cut taxes and revenues increase, you didn't cut taxes enough. Too many people make it a priority to fund runaway spending instead of making it a priority to stop spending so much.
Nobody cuts spending. They don’t even really want to. Even when republicans held every part of national power they wouldn’t do it. Quick to cut taxes though. Even said they’d pay for themselves. Economic morons.

Thesearecrazytimes

Anyone who thinks a company should pay taxes (and that society is somehow better off if they do) is an economic jackass.
Companies dont pay taxes. They just increase the price of the goods and services to the consumers. The consumers pay the taxes. And now those same consumers are begging to be taxed more, not understanding the principle of indirect taxation.

bacha29

Nobody cuts spending. They don’t even really want to. Even when republicans held every part of national power they wouldn’t do it. Quick to cut taxes though. Even said they’d pay for themselves. Economic morons.
71% of federal spending is mandated spending. programs that by law require full funding. Cutting spending in the other 29% would not likely gain support.
Perhaps if they really wanted to cut federal spending they could stop sending money to the states that get more federal dollars than they pay in. nearly all of them southern states. In most if not all years the state that pays in the most but gets the least is New Jersey.
I suppose the cluckers could get their way and actually implement the heavy spending cuts they advocate. But, rest assured once they personally experienced the hardship and inconvenience that would result from those spending cuts they would be hollering the loudest. Why, while they demand spending cuts it's always the other guy who they want to have to deal with the unpleasant impact.

bacha29

Oh, absolutely. Because they'd offer stupid benefits that no other lender would offer, lose a ton of money, and probably not even bother making me pay it back. Hard to beat a loan with rates and benefits that I can't get anywhere else that I might not have to even repay!
According to latest numbers one fourth of the entire US population more than 27 million households have no internet connection. Majority are in the southern states. Most likely it's a question of availability and or affordability. And probably for various reasons they may never have access. Perhaps it might be one of the many reasons why 100 GOP congressman many of them represent these areas crossed the isle and supported the Democrat sponsored PFA 2022.
In many small towns and villages across the country the post office was the hub of economic and often social activity for that entire small village. And one of the key components of the PRA was give to the post office to experiment to see if it could offer expanded services profitably.

Again, the USPS is NOT a business. It is first, foremost and will continue to be a PUBLIC SERVICE! It is simply being given an opportunity to see if it can offer additional economically self sustaining public services.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
According to latest numbers one fourth of the entire US population more than 27 million households have no internet connection. Majority are in the southern states. Most likely it's a question of availability and or affordability. And probably for various reasons they may never have access. Perhaps it might be one of the many reasons why 100 GOP congressman many of them represent these areas crossed the isle and supported the Democrat sponsored PFA 2022.
In many small towns and villages across the country the post office was the hub of economic and often social activity for that entire small village. And one of the key components of the PRA was give to the post office to experiment to see if it could offer expanded services profitably.

Again, the USPS is NOT a business. It is first, foremost and will continue to be a PUBLIC SERVICE! It is simply being given an opportunity to see if it can offer additional economically self sustaining public services.
You might want to do a little research. Things changed in 1971.

bacha29

You might want to do a little research. Things changed in 1971.

Postal services to the PUBLIC. Now you tell me, does that not make it a public service? It sure as hell isn't a privately held corporation who can pick and choose who it wants to do business with.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
71% of federal spending is mandated spending. programs that by law require full funding. Cutting spending in the other 29% would not likely gain support.
Perhaps if they really wanted to cut federal spending they could stop sending money to the states that get more federal dollars than they pay in. nearly all of them southern states.
You say it's mandatory then say they could cut it.
Which is it little lady?

vantexan

You’re being foolish. You’re jumping from one extreme to another. First you’ve suggested that JFK was all for eliminating taxes on all corporations and now you’re saying that I want to tax them out of existence.

Neither is true. But you already knew that, didn’t you?
And here's the funny part. Tex by his own admission hasn't paid a dime in federal income tax in decades. If he keeps this up worrying about federal spending he could end up with a bleeding ulcer that federal dollars in the form of Medicare or Medicaid has to pay to treat.
@bacha29 Why do you insist on lying?