The religion of peace strikes again...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The principle of any military is to remove a person's own ideals and replace it with a structured policy, where one acts for all. Letting others fall outside of this method weakens the units overall effectiveness.
All must look and dress alike for this policy to develop .
Even at the JROTC level .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The principle of any military is to remove a person's own ideals and replace it with a structured policy, where one acts for all. Letting others fall outside of this method weakens the units overall effectiveness.

This is by far the best description I have ever read about the basic training I went through back in 1981. From the moment we stepped off the bus at 2 am and on to the painted footsteps (and played "up/down" for 5 minutes) to graduation day it was their goal to remove our individual identities and replace them with a unified purpose.

I can recall one incident in particular that forced our unit to work together toward a common goal. Our TI (Training Instructor) was doing an inspection of our dorm room and did not care for the way a set of bunk beds had been made. He proceeded to bend at the knees, grab the frame of the bottom bed and flipped the set of bunk beds, mattresses and all, head over heels. We then had 5 minutes to not only reassemble the beds but to make sure that they were properly made.

I also found out that it is not a good idea to wear a college sweatshirt on the first day of basic training. They called me "college boy" for six weeks.

bbsam

Staff member
This is by far the best description I have ever read about the basic training I went through back in 1981. From the moment we stepped off the bus at 2 am and on to the painted footsteps (and played "up/down" for 5 minutes) to graduation day it was their goal to remove our individual identities and replace them with a unified purpose.

I can recall one incident in particular that forced our unit to work together toward a common goal. Our TI (Training Instructor) was doing an inspection of our dorm room and did not care for the way a set of bunk beds had been made. He proceeded to bend at the knees, grab the frame of the bottom bed and flipped the set of bunk beds, mattresses and all, head over heels. We then had 5 minutes to not only reassemble the beds but to make sure that they were properly made.

I also found out that it is not a good idea to wear a college sweatshirt on the first day of basic training. They called me "college boy" for six weeks.
It should be noted that since soon after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, basic training began to change in it's treatment of recruits. Focus shifted away from "breaking down" then individual. I think it's been a move that makes a drill seargent more of an intense coach and less the screaming hard-ass depicted in movies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It should be noted that since soon after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, basic training began to change in it's treatment of recruits. Focus shifted away from "breaking down" then individual. I think it's been a move that makes a drill seargent more of an intense coach and less the screaming hard-ass depicted in movies.

I would think this has less to do with the invasion as it does with the level of recruit they are working with. I have read where they have had to "revise" the physical requirements due to the sedentary nature of most Generation Me'rs.

My personal basic training experience was no where near the Full Metal Jacket version but it did serve it's purpose of removing the individual in favor of the team.

I would think this has less to do with the invasion as it does with the level of recruit they are working with. I have read where they have had to "revise" the physical requirements due to the sedentary nature of most Generation Me'rs.

My personal basic training experience was no where near the Full Metal Jacket version but it did serve it's purpose of removing the individual in favor of the team.
IMO, Being a volunteer armed forces now has something to do with the change also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But the NEED for personnel was not as high at that time as it was in 2003

While the "need" may not have been as great you may be surprised to learn that the numbers were actually higher when I served than they were in 2003 or even today. Recruiting quotas did not increase due to Iraq or Afghanistan--the number of volunteers did, perhaps due to their sense of patriotism.

texan

Yes sir. Remember those days well many moons ago. When I was it basic, they did not play. You never never mouthed off and did all types of things that made no sense, but you did them asap. ah the memories.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes sir. Remember those days well many moons ago. When I was it basic, they did not play. You never never mouthed off and did all types of things that made no sense, but you did them asap. ah the memories.

One of my favorites was playing "dorm guard" and having to authenticate visitors.

bbsam

Staff member

From what I have read, it had to do with training that woul transfer directly to what was happening on the battlefield.

wkmac

Sounds like you are describing The Borg or some other automaton collective.

[video=youtube;DQuNwR79Oxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuNwR79Oxg[/video]