The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

newfie

I realize that but everyone's acting like this quarter is the highest it's ever been. That's just not the case.

hate your country.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
A very valid point.
I personally can't stand Trump but ...
... the economy is freed up from regulations and is booming.
But economics is a shell game. The Fed determines what’s good and bad (for whom I’m not sure). All this economic stimulus and “feel good” will come at a significant cost. What then?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think they didn’t use the term depression just to keep people optimistic. Bad recession sounds more like a normal cycle, it was anything but normal.
Depression and Recession have defined terms and conditions.
The recession of 2008-2009 did not meet the threshold or length to qualify as a Depression.
It was, however to your point, the worst Recession since the Great Depression of 1929-1938.

• Recession Versus Depression <---(note to bbsam - this is a link)
    A recession is widespread economic decline that lasts for at least six months. A depression is a more severe decline that lasts for several years. For example, a recession lasts for 18 months, while the most recent depression lasted for a decade. There have been 33 recessions since 1854. There's only been one depression since then, The Great Depression of 1929. It was actually a combination of the recession that lasted from August 1929 to March 1933, and the one from May 1937 to June 1938.
    If you are wondering if we are in a depression or recession, it's probably a recession.
  • The Great Recession of 2008 was the worst recession since the Depression. The 1980 recession was almost as bad. It was caused by high interest rates needed to curb stagflation. Economic stagflation was a result of attempts to end the 1973 recession, which led to the demise of the gold standard.

Last edited: