Time Commitments

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My story is completely different. I was able to finish my 4 year degree (Business Administration) and earned 9 hours toward my master's (Human Resources) while on active duty. As I approached the end of my current enlistment I had a choice to make-----re-up or separate from service. My ex came from a military family and she did not want our kids to move all over the world so we decided to separate (from both the military and each other). During the last 6 months of my enlistment I began sending out resumes-----yes, back then we actually sent out resumes to prospective employers----and did not receive anything beyond the "yeah, we got your resume" response letter. We moved back to her hometown, I called a friend who I had been stationed with there and he told me to come up to UPS as they were hiring. 30 years later I retired.

Do I wish that I could have used my degree? Absolutely but I also had a young family to help support and needs took priority over wants. I enjoyed my career and between my ex and I we were able to raise two wonderful children who got everything that they needed (if not everything that they wanted). Both are very successful in their respective fields---one is married to a hard working man and they have two children while my son is engaged to a wonderful young lady and they have one child.

I have immersed myself in to my new career as a tax preparer while doing all that I can to enjoy my retirement.

AB831

Yep. At one time I was able to recite several pages of Chaucer’s Pardoner’s Tale in a fairly decent Old English dialect.
Oh man. Chaucer is.......something else. I tailored my courses predominantly to American literature (took the easy way out), but there are a couple of required Renaissance and English literature courses, so I'm not getting off scot-free.

AB831

My story is completely different. I was able to finish my 4 year degree (Business Administration) and earned 9 hours toward my master's (Human Resources) while on active duty. As I approached the end of my current enlistment I had a choice to make-----re-up or separate from service. My ex came from a military family and she did not want our kids to move all over the world so we decided to separate (from both the military and each other). During the last 6 months of my enlistment I began sending out resumes-----yes, back then we actually sent out resumes to prospective employers----and did not receive anything beyond the "yeah, we got your resume" response letter. We moved back to her hometown, I called a friend who I had been stationed with there and he told me to come up to UPS as they were hiring. 30 years later I retired.

Do I wish that I could have used my degree? Absolutely but I also had a young family to help support and needs took priority over wants. I enjoyed my career and between my ex and I we were able to raise two wonderful children who got everything that they needed (if not everything that they wanted). Both are very successful in their respective fields---one is married to a hard working man and they have two children while my son is engaged to a wonderful young lady and they have one child.

I have immersed myself in to my new career as a tax preparer while doing all that I can to enjoy my retirement.
Good for you, man. It sounds like you took UPS by the horns and made a wonderful life for yourself instead of letting them take you by the balls. These jobs can be fine careers although they look like they're trending away from that more and more. I had every intention of making FedEx my career when I started there, but due to the fact that I'm developing chronic pain in some of my joints while I'm in my 20's and because some of the unrelenting BS we have to put up with, I decided to finish up school and look for another avenue. I also really don't like the fact that I have to miss Christmas parties and family get togethers every December. That's been wearing on me a lot the past two Christmases. Nothing wrong with folks who make a career of it. I want their knees and wrists.

bbsam

Staff member
That time card is as legal binding as any other sworn legal document. Yet, you came on here and admitted to your willful manipulation of that legal document. In my case the only thing that kept the 4 of us which included the TM from being both fired and charged was our ability to prove that it's own engineers made a huge miscalculation which required us to run over hours every single day in order to meet the service requirements.

That is the only defense we had but was enough to persuade the company to back down.
Aren’t you the one who always points out that the Ground Agreement is a legal document that means nothing? Could it be that there are many such documents?

AB831

Why does he need to write a novel, when a simple sentence or less can convey the same result?

Plus, Robert is totally ignoring your direct question.

Have a good night all
He started off by telling me how I'd never amount to anything with an English degree and how FedEx would be the best job I've ever had. When I said that there are a PLETHORA of economy-proof jobs available for those who majored in English, he doubled down on how stupid of a major it was and listed all of the ones I should do if I were actually smart. At this point, I asked him what his major was and he refuses to answer the question because he didn't go to college and conceding that to someone he's trying to belittle who actually did would shatter his illusion of superiority. So in a futile attempt to save face for himself, he skirted the question that would embarrass him and pivoted to telling me how I'll never amount to anything because of my soon-to-be "criminal record" from the heinous transgression of taking my break during the sort. Very insecure people like himself resort to belittling the accomplishments of others because they feel threatened that someone, anyone could possibly end up doing better than them. It's a loser's mentality, but it can fixed by seeking professional help. That would be my only piece of advice to him at this point.

Working4the1%

Have a seat on the couch..we will work through this together.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I had every intention of making FedEx my career when I started there, but due to the fact that I'm developing chronic pain in some of my joints while I'm in my 20's and because some of the unrelenting BS we have to put up with, I decided to finish up school and look for another avenue.
A very wise decision young man.

Most of that unrelenting BS is cause by Memphis corporate :censored2:s that try to make a name for themselves and look good to Fat Freddy all at the hourlies expense of course. To those guys I wish nothing but the most severe case of Chron's disease to each and everyone of them and with erupting symptoms as soon as their morning meeting begins.

AB831

A very wise decision young man.

Most of that unrelenting BS is cause by Memphis corporate :censored2:s that try to make a name for themselves and look good to Fat Freddy all at the hourlies expense of course. To those guys I wish nothing but the most severe case of Chron's disease to each and everyone of them and with erupting symptoms as soon as their morning meeting begins.
Thanks, man. Yeah, my buddy and I realized that the main mission of Fedex is to look good to themselves. It even trumps their desire to make money. It's insane.

AB831

A lot of people have gone to law school on an English degree.
Good point. I simply lack the drive for law school right now. I can't rule it out somewhere down the line though. I often become restless in a job after the year mark and start looking.