Transfer to Ups?

Indecisi0n

Money isn't everything. The fella is happy and content. He insinuated that he made a decent living. What good does it do to work at UPS if you go in at 845 or 9 am and don't get off until 830pm. Quality of life is a consideration. They make 90k a year and never get to see their kids soccer games or school plays because they work too late.

There are plenty of broke UPS workers and Fedex workers. It isn't how much you make, it's what you do with that money.
You talk for him like your his girlfriend.

bacha29

I see you made your daily visit to the "I hate my life and my job" academy.

Someone that is happy and content with their job circumstances just rubs you to the core.
Wrong.
I see you made your daily visit to the "I hate my life and my job" academy.

Someone that is happy and content with their job circumstances just rubs you to the core.
Wrong again. If a person as in this case "SPAM" was truly happy and contented with their life and their employment they would not find it necessary to go on a web site and ask complete strangers to reinforce his belief through the solicitation of comments designed to achieve that means. Your case is very much similar. By bragging about your money you are seeking out the idolization and adoration of your peers in order to pacify your own insecurities.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Top pay at FedEx is fair if not generous for the work done.(unfortunately many many do not come close to it)
Top pay at UPS is fair, but possibly low for the work/abuse your body takes.

The difference in top pay between companies is around $6 or $7 per hour in this area. Is it worth that to take out an extra 100 stops and have to meet performance expectations that FedEx wouldn't dare impose, while also spending less time with your family? No way in hell I'd take on that burden for an extra $7/hour.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The difference in top pay between companies is around $6 or $7 per hour in this area. Is it worth that to take out an extra 100 stops and have to meet performance expectations that FedEx wouldn't dare impose, while also spending less time with your family? No way in hell I'd take on that burden for an extra $7/hour.
They also contribute a total of 559.42 per week for healthcare and pension. That amount increases by 40$ every year. Thats an extra 29 thousand a year right there.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Spin. BS.

Top pay employees at Express are not contemplating jumping ship to taste the grass at UPS. Those who do consider it are looking at not only the top pay, but time invested to reach it. There are plenty of qualified couriers at Express who were equal to the task, but their faith in Fedex betrayed them. The younger class of courier I've witnessed here wouldn't, therefore the slipping standard of service.
And yes, there are exceptions in both groups.

bacha29

That's an important point. Granted I don't have any supporting data but what I'm just saying is that have you ever noticed that retired UPS grunts don't seem to live long after they've hung it up? The production demands combined with the physical beating may very well have shortened their lives.Then again some of it might be hereditary but it just seems that they don't last long after they've hung it up.

MAKAVELI

They also contribute a total of 559.42 per week for healthcare and pension. That amount increases by 40$ every year. Thats an extra 29 thousand a year right there.
Yes he conveniently left out that little bit of information. Is it worth it ? That all depends on one's personal situation.

Oldfart

Wrong.

Wrong again. If a person as in this case "SPAM" was truly happy and contented with their life and their employment they would not find it necessary to go on a web site and ask complete strangers to reinforce his belief through the solicitation of comments designed to achieve that means. Your case is very much similar. By bragging about your money you are seeking out the idolization and adoration of your peers in order to pacify your own insecurities.
Now you try to call a man a liar when you say he doesn't like his job. The man said he would not switch jobs and gave several reason why and you doubt his honesty. Just another example of why happy and content people drive you crazy. Just because you are miserable doesn't mean others are.

Oldfart

Some of us have been around long enough to remember when we USED to do the same job as a UPS driver.
Been around longer than you and I don't remember those days. I started working out of a Z van then downsized to an Econoline before we ever got anything close to a 700 or Reach. UPS is driving the same style truck they were when I worked there over 40 years ago and they are just as full now as they were then. Our trucks are fuller now than ever and still nothing like a package car.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Been around longer than you and I don't remember those days. I started working out of a Z van then downsized to an Econoline before we ever got anything close to a 700 or Reach. UPS is driving the same style truck they were when I worked there over 40 years ago and they are just as full now as they were then. Our trucks are fuller now than ever and still nothing like a package car.
And you’ve worked in the same station the whole time....probably the same route too.

Oldfart

And you’ve worked in the same station the whole time....probably the same route too.
No, no,

Doesn't matter. The biggest truck we had years ago was a Z Van. I would imagine it was smaller than a reach. The UPS package car was way bigger and way fuller. The company dropped the z van for the econoline and dodge vans. The package car was WAY bigger. The company bought the aeromates and baby grumans. The package car was WAY bigger. We finally got 700 and 900. The package car is somewhat bigger.

What does a station have to do with anything? I have never seen our trucks as full day in and day out as a package car. I imagine many of theirs is over 1000 cf and still packed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No, no,

Doesn't matter. The biggest truck we had years ago was a Z Van. I would imagine it was smaller than a reach. The UPS package car was way bigger and way fuller. The company dropped the z van for the econoline and dodge vans. The package car was WAY bigger. The company bought the aeromates and baby grumans. The package car was WAY bigger. We finally got 700 and 900. The package car is somewhat bigger.

What does a station have to do with anything? I have never seen our trucks as full day in and day out as a package car. I imagine many of theirs is over 1000 cf and still packed.
They have 1200 and 1400 cf as well. Of course the station makes a difference. My station still has a bunch of 700s and 900s. Surely you’re aware that some stations get more bulk than others???

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
No, no,

I had two different routes back in the day, with 700’s, that left the building EVERY day bulked out. And we had a route that bulked out a straight truck until recently.

Oldfart

They have 1200 and 1400 cf as well. Of course the station makes a difference. My station still has a bunch of 700s and 900s. Surely you’re aware that some stations get more bulk than others???
My station has 6 Bob trucks rts running out of it and a tractor that makes even more deliveries so I am aware of what a bulk is. You said "I remember when" we did the same job. When the biggest truck we had was a Z van, econoline or a baby Grumman, how were we doing the same job? They were driving 900 or bigger and we were driving vans that held 400 cf at best. Now we have close to the same size van and you say we fill those up. I thought we did the same job back then? Are we doing the same job as them now? Which is it?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My station has 6 Bob trucks rts running out of it and a tractor that makes even more deliveries so I am aware of what a bulk is. You said "I remember when" we did the same job. When the biggest truck we had was a Z van, econoline or a baby Grumman, how were we doing the same job? They were driving 900 or bigger and we were driving vans that held 400 cf at best. Now we have close to the same size van and you say we fill those up. I thought we did the same job back then? Are we doing the same job as them now? Which is it?
Back to your reading comprehension again.....

Oldfart

Back to your reading comprehension again.....
I read very well. Tell me how a person driving a van with 400 cf of space is doing the same job as a person driving a van with 900 cf of space. In case your math is as bad as your logic, our vans were less than half their size.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I read very well. Tell me how a person driving a van with 400 cf of space is doing the same job as a person driving a van with 900 cf of space. In case your math is as bad as your logic, our vans were less than half their size.
Since you read so well, you would have read the part where I said I drove bulked out 700s.

I’m going to put you on ignore now because you never add any value to anything here, IMO. Plus the fact you feel the need to challenge everything I say as if the word of women is meaningless to you. Happy trails to you.