Uncle Larry Fink says “Work Longer” … You’ll be Happy

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I don't disagree, but the folks who are already raking in millions a year in salary really won't need that extra $1000 per month in Social Security income. The average American who will retire with barely a 401(k) will need to have the assurance their Social Security will not be shaved by 30% in 10 years when Social Security is forecast to become insolvent.
Doesn't matter. Even lefty Dems in the 1930's didn't want it to be another welfare program.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Take away your high pay and benefits and come talk to me.
I’ve had low paying jobs but I wanted more so I found a better job had a house flipping business for most of my career at ups. Because I wanted more grew up dirt poor but I knew it was out there Just had to go get it. Now Iam reaping the rewards of all that work

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I’ve had low paying jobs but I wanted more so I found a better job had a house flipping business for most of my career at ups. Because I wanted more grew up dirt poor but I knew it was out there Just had to go get it. Now Iam reaping the rewards of all that work
So ambition and hard work is a general recipe for success?

Shocker.

vantexan

Some of these folks think people are just going to hand them money not how it works
I never asked for UPS pay. I asked for the same deal our topped out employees enjoyed. But we were sacrificed so that the company could build up Ground infrastructure. And once they got that done what did they start to do? Instead of giving the better pay they said was coming if we just hung in there they've started transitioning the company over to mostly a Ground contractor model. Less pay, no benefits. I worked hard for my pay. And I never screamed get us a union so we can have UPS pay and benefits. I saw a long time ago that the money for that just isn't there. But I also know that a little over 26 years before I was born Social Security became law. I started work paying into it. Well, my first real job. When I was 12 I picked weeds for $1 HR 35 hrs a week but no taxes were taken out. Anyways I payed into it my entire working life and don't think I'm expecting money to just be handed to me. And I want those who come after me to get just as much.

P.S. It takes money to make money. A good paying job at UPS opens up all kinds of opportunities.

Thebrownblob

I never asked for UPS pay. I asked for the same deal our topped out employees enjoyed. But we were sacrificed so that the company could build up Ground infrastructure. And once they got that done what did they start to do? Instead of giving the better pay they said was coming if we just hung in there they've started transitioning the company over to mostly a Ground contractor model. Less pay, no benefits. I worked hard for my pay. And I never screamed get us a union so we can have UPS pay and benefits. I saw a long time ago that the money for that just isn't there. But I also know that a little over 26 years before I was born Social Security became law. I started work paying into it. Well, my first real job. When I was 12 I picked weeds for $1 HR 35 hrs a week but no taxes were taken out. Anyways I payed into it my entire working life and don't think I'm expecting money to just be handed to me. And I want those who come after me to get just as much.

P.S. It takes money to make money. A good paying job at UPS opens up all kinds of opportunities.
UPS wouldn’t be a good paying job with benefits and a pension without the Teamsters.

Thebrownblob

No doubt. But it is and yet there are people here who think FedEx never unionized because its employees didn't want it. Some didn't for sure. We were out maneuvered by a CEO with a lot of money.
The vast majority did not think unionization was necessary. They were absolutely not willing to fight for it. They were going to “get taken care of.” Boy did the ever. That is the bottom line.

Over70irregs

The best two ways to salvage Social Security: 1) Tax ALL wages (not just the first $168,600) and then cap the maximum monthly benefit at whatever the current cap is. 2) Allow people who draw early at age 62 to make as much money as they want to (obviously paying into Social Security while they continue to work) but cap their benefit at what their early draw amount was + COLA. These two items would go a long way towards making Social Security solvent.
Not bad…… actually read this 3 times..

Over70irregs

A lot of highly paid people make that money exploiting others. I look at what the executives at FedEx have done/are doing to regular employees in the name of profit and I don't mind at all making them pay SS on all of their income while putting a cap on what they can receive. I certainly believe that capitalism is the best way to feed, clothe, and house the most people. But those who benefit the most from an exploitive system should pay the most.
Capitalism done in the name of War requires exporting vast amounts of energy depleting inflation. This is no longer working.