Uncle Larry Fink says “Work Longer” … You’ll be Happy

Thebrownblob

Do you think contributing your entire working life into the program makes it welfare?

“But in fact, almost all of us are on welfare… or will be eventually. That’s because you will someday reach retirement age and collect Social Security benefits. And Social Security is welfare.

Now you might be flipping out right now like, “How dare he say that? That’s my money! I earned every penny of it!”

I’m sorry, but no, you didn’t earn it—at least not all of it. Your Social Security benefits are a gift from other taxpayers. It’s not your own money coming back to you.”

newfie

Wasn't high taxes that burned me. It was losing over 20% spending power in the last 3.5 years.
agree. taxes are next. Biden wants to let the trump tax cuts expire. Blue states need that to happen so they can tax like crazy and let their citizens write everything off on their federal return without a cap.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do you think contributing your entire working life into the program makes it welfare?
Currently, every wage earning worker is a participant in the plan. It is a safety net, created as a pay-related contributory pension. If you start cutting contributors off from receiving benefits "because", it becomes a welfare program, redistributing money from from some workers to others.

The plan has a limit on benefits so accordingly it has limits on contributions.

Currently, every wage earning worker is a participant in the plan. It is a safety net, created as a pay-related contributory pension. If you start cutting contributors off from receiving benefits "because", it becomes a welfare program, redistributing money from from some workers to others.

The plan has a limit on benefits so accordingly it has limits on contributions.
Sounds like a pension plan?

vantexan

But you admitted right there that it is a welfare program.

Helping you proportionately more because you are poorer, and for no other reason.

That's welfare.
No it isn't. Name a welfare program in this country(other than SS that you'll say) that gives those with good income more than those with mediocre to poor income? Gives the better off anything at all? Social Security is everyone contributing a percentage of their income up to a point and getting a payment that's proportional with their contribution. People say but I make $300k, how come I don't get a bigger payment? Because the income you contribute on stops at $168,600 for 2024. You don't have to pay any SS taxes above that. The proposal for above $400,000 means that $231,400 still isn't taxed.

Are you saying that anyone who made poor income throughout their working lives should get very little? My mom rarely made over $25k. A lot of years a good deal less. Was she lazy? She worked 2-3 jobs for over 30 years. With the big raise SS got recently her payment is $1149 a month. She's 80, and got less than $800 a month when she took SS originally. Should she only get $300 a month? We can throw out the old saw about SS was never intended to be anyone's sole income. For many millions it is. Are you guys who make enough to have a life and a future really wanting to take away income from the poor so that you can have even more?

vantexan

“But in fact, almost all of us are on welfare… or will be eventually. That’s because you will someday reach retirement age and collect Social Security benefits. And Social Security is welfare.

Now you might be flipping out right now like, “How dare he say that? That’s my money! I earned every penny of it!”

I’m sorry, but no, you didn’t earn it—at least not all of it. Your Social Security benefits are a gift from other taxpayers. It’s not your own money coming back to you.”
I wonder how many of you contributed to an investment with the idea of only getting back numerically exactly what you put into it?

Thebrownblob

No it isn't. Name a welfare program in this country(other than SS that you'll say) that gives those with good income more than those with mediocre to poor income? Gives the better off anything at all? Social Security is everyone contributing a percentage of their income up to a point and getting a payment that's proportional with their contribution. People say but I make $300k, how come I don't get a bigger payment? Because the income you contribute on stops at $168,600 for 2024. You don't have to pay any SS taxes above that. The proposal for above $400,000 means that $231,400 still isn't taxed.

Are you saying that anyone who made poor income throughout their working lives should get very little? My mom rarely made over $25k. A lot of years a good deal less. Was she lazy? She worked 2-3 jobs for over 30 years. With the big raise SS got recently her payment is $1149 a month. She's 80, and got less than $800 a month when she took SS originally. Should she only get $300 a month? We can throw out the old saw about SS was never intended to be anyone's sole income. For many millions it is. Are you guys who make enough to have a life and a future really wanting to take away income from the poor so that you can have even more?
No we just want preachy know it all people who have pretended their whole life to be self-sufficient too STFU

Thebrownblob

I wonder how many of you contributed to an investment with the idea of only getting back numerically exactly what you put into it?
If I had invested the money that was taken out of my paycheck weekly for the last 30 years for Social Security. I would’ve been a millionaire many times over. What’s your point? Social Security is not a great investment for me personally, but perhaps it is socially but generally speaking people like you pretend they don’t like those things until you need them.

vantexan

No we just want preachy know it all people who have pretended their whole life to be self-sufficient too STFU
If you don't know it all by now then you need to start cracking some books. Funny thing about money. People can claim to be Christians but when they start squabbling about money all that other goes out the door.

If I had invested the money that was taken out of my paycheck weekly for the last 30 years for Social Security. I would’ve been a millionaire many times over. What’s your point? Social Security is not a great investment for me personally, but perhaps it is socially but generally speaking people like you pretend they don’t like those things until you need them.
Especially if the employer matched it with what you put in.