UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Working weekends will simply be part of the job for anyone hired from now on. I don't want to work my weekends. I'm also not giving up this job because I might have to work Saturdays for a few years. Those that are willing to quit over weekend work........goodbye.

But listen to some of us. Man I sure as hell don't want to work the weekend. Yeah hire some new guys and make them do it. Oh you'll have to pay them less? Yeah sure why not. Doesn't effect me.

Pay them LESS to work a day I'm not willing to work......
That's about the least union "brotherhood" thing I can think of.

I would not be surprised, assuming all new drivers coming on board are guaranteed to work weekends, that it will be even MORE difficult filling theses spots and keeping these guys! Which will lead to more off the street hires!

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

I will say someone needs to stand up to Amazon (we should have years ago). For the most part I don't think the customers getting the deliveries care if they get deliveries on Saturday and Sunday. It's :censored2:ing Amazon pushing its will on everyone.

If they try to make you work Saturday just become Jewish.

I have a family member that has to deal with them and that's exactly what is said! They are a bunch of bullies! I don't get it they deliver 5% of their volume!

F

Frankie's Friend

I believe the Master passed but at least five supplements went down.
9 went down.
Improvements in healthcare, wage increases, and recouping the lost week of vacation were some of the pluses alleged by the ibt article.

Tony Q

9 went down.
Improvements in healthcare, wage increases, and recouping the lost week of vacation were some of the pluses alleged by the ibt article.
From what I heard about the contract, it gives ABF very little room to operate in the last two years of the contract unless they have the best case scneroes as far as earnings. Whatever happens happens. I don't know if anyone got the memo, but Freight is dead. Fighting over this stuff is only prolonging the inevitable. For what its worth.

Tony Q

You are okay with the concession-laden contracts of the past 20 years, and the IBT pressuring and persuading yes votes from members
I think the part timers need to start off at fifteen an hour and get there benefits in six months instead of a year. I think we need to Figure out how we are going to be a seven day delivery company in a way thats fair while not turning UPS package into a loser compared to the rest of the portfolio. I also think we need to maintain the benefits with a possibility of them getting even better, all while not paying for them. I think when this contract is negotiated these things will be addressed. Maybe not like everyone wants, but sometimes you can't make everyone happy.

Am I happy with the last 20 years you asked? I've prospered and lived a good life in this time. I'm doing well financially and don't plan on retiring at 55 so I would like this company and the Teamsters who work for it flourish.

Chester

From what I heard about the contract, it gives ABF very little room to operate in the last two years of the contract unless they have the best case scneroes as far as earnings. Whatever happens happens. I don't know if anyone got the memo, but Freight is dead. Fighting over this stuff is only prolonging the inevitable. For what its worth.
Freight is dead?

F

Frankie's Friend

ABF is strong. Real strong.

F

Frankie's Friend

Guess I’m not following you. Union freight is dead or all freight is dead?
If you think that freight is dead you haven't driven on an interstate highway after midnight.

Freight is not dead.

"Scab" (nonunion) freight is half and half on quality service but many freight companies pay well today without the stress of fighting over cba issues.

To be honest, the need for on time delivery is so vital many companies just want reliability.
I believe (from what I've seen over the road) some companies try to service the customer on time because it's a pride issue. Some are union and some aren't but freight will always be strong regardless if they are union or not.
The union logistics are more scrutinized than the nonunion imo and, of course, probably due to the higher wages and benefits.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
It didn't rhyme.
Along with thousands of layoffs, good luck with that
Got to get down to it
Ups cuttin' us down
Shoulda been done long ago
What if you knew it and
found the contract dead on the ground
How can you not strike when you know -- Neil

Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of deliverin' is gone.-- Mellencamp

Lifes a song when you're retired and you said and did all these things in '97.

Tony Q

If you think that freight is dead you haven't driven on an interstate highway after midnight.

Freight is not dead.

"Scab" (nonunion) freight is half and half on quality service but many freight companies pay well today without the stress of fighting over cba issues.

To be honest, the need for on time delivery is so vital many companies just want reliability.
I believe (from what I've seen over the road) some companies try to service the customer on time because it's a pride issue. Some are union and some aren't but freight will always be strong regardless if they are union or not.
The union logistics are more scrutinized than the nonunion imo and, of course, probably due to the higher wages and benefits.
I'm sorry I didn't clarify myself. Union Freight is dead, I meant. With driverless vehicles it seems even bleaker. I know about what happened with Uber, but its only a matter of time till they drive themselves.