UPS Driver Collapse In Extreme Arizona Heat

UPSER1987

The Company definitely needs to do a better job dealing with safety and working in hot conditions.
So more babysitting. What could the company do for outside work in Arizona summer? This is what was signed up for. You live in AZ …it’s hot 8 months out of the year. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen…literally lol.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So more babysitting. What could the company do for outside work in Arizona summer? This is what was signed up for. You live in AZ …it’s hot 8 months out of the year. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen…literally lol.
Thought it's "dry heat"? Anybody that moves there from my parts always throws that out there any time you question whether it is such a good area to live?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It can, but normally there's earlier warning signs before you collapse. Every driver should be aware of how to stay in front of dehydration. Aren't we all sick of the daily "stay hydrated" talk at PCM? Replace what you're sweating out, and drink before you're thirsty.
If you are sick of the "stay hydrated" talks now just wait until they ramp up after this completely avoidable incident.

As for the warning signs, urine color is one of the most recognizable.

Absolutely drink before you are thirsty.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Doesnt want to be identified for fear of retaliation.
Describes specific medically documented events that can easily identify him. 🤦‍♂️
I firmly believe you are more at of retaliation when you remain anonymous than when you are about in the open when challenging UPS.

That
So more babysitting.
Not baby sitting . Employer responsibility.
What could the company do for outside work in Arizona summer?
arizona osha

This is what was signed up for. You live in AZ …it’s hot 8 months out of the year. If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen…literally lol.
UPS has responsibility that they must meet to the employees they have in Arizona.

I think differently,maybe if this Multibillionaire company can’t meet their responsibilities to the Arizona employees, maybe they should not operate in Arizona then.

They have the money to do the right thing.

Integrity

Binge Poster
SMDH
So, this is the hill your going to die on
No. Just one issue. IMO Very important to keep this out front at this time of year. Isn’t if UPS wants fight this responsibility a more telling question about the management of UPS?
All the other BS that goes on at ups and you want to make it about whether or not you bring your own water
The principle is really about Employer responsibility.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Integrity, beyond shutting down the DIADs to ensure that drivers are taking their lunch (California) and providing water, ice and sliced fruit for the employees, fans for the package cars and uniform items more suitable for the hot weather, what else can an employer do? In the Ring bell video, it appears that the driver in question was disoriented, most likely due to dehydration. If I were a betting person I would wager that he had not taken multiple breaks during the day nor had he made sure to drink before he was thirsty. Thank goodness he was at a customer's door rather than on a busy street.

Our center used to have cases of bottled water stacked on a pallet for the drivers to take as needed. Most would take advantage but only a few, myself included, would take the water home, put a couple in the freezer the night before to ensure that we had cold water to at least start our day. Granted, I worked in Upstate NY where it rarely got above 90-----this week has been the exception as we have had 6 straight days of above 90 temps----but grabbing a case of water and putting it in to a HOT cargo makes NO sense to me.

Do you think the FedEx Ground contractors do the same for their employees?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. Just one issue. IMO Very important to keep this out front at this time of year. Isn’t if UPS wants fight this responsibility a more telling question about the management of UPS?

What about employee responsibility? Drivers make upward of $100K, more than enough to ensure that they have have the means to properly plan ahead for the weather conditions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only thing more annoying than the heat or cold were the constant "Hot/Cold enough for ya?" questions. I used to love their puzzled expressions when I would reply "No, not yet."

The phrase "mind over matter" can be applied to working in adverse weather. The moment that you let the weather dominate your thinking you are dead in the water. Now, that is not to say that you should ignore the heat----not even close. I am saying that you should not let the excess heat or cold get you to the point to where you think that you can't do anything. One stop at a time, take a quick break as needed, and hydrate before you need to.

Poop Head

Judge me.
New drivers be like:
red-bull-energy-drink-cooler-backpack_1_a090c485e5332badad12e0c0c942554d.jpg

"Ready for the 100° day!"

UPSER1987

So at WHAT point is an employee (or anyone) responsible for their own actions? Are you willing to put all employees out of work in Arizona for 8 months out of the year, because the hub gets hot too? Such a silly comment. Everyone is looking at someone else to take accountability for their actions. At what point does that stop? Babysitting.

Thebrownblob

The only thing more annoying than the heat or cold were the constant "Hot/Cold enough for ya?" questions. I used to love their puzzled expressions when I would reply "No, not yet."

The phrase "mind over matter" can be applied to working in adverse weather. The moment that you let the weather dominate your thinking you are dead in the water. Now, that is not to say that you should ignore the heat----not even close. I am saying that you should not let the excess heat or cold get you to the point to where you think that you can't do anything. One stop at a time, take a quick break as needed, and hydrate before you need to.
Quick break? Are you advocating stealing time? Omg your a monster

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, beyond shutting down the DIADs to ensure that drivers are taking their lunch (California) and providing water, ice and sliced fruit for the employees, fans for the package cars and uniform items more suitable for the hot weather, what else can an employer do?
In the short term:

If this is being done correctly the one thing I might add is the UPS local manage should frequently remind employees to drink water throughout the day, especially on extreme heat days.

In the Ring bell video, it appears that the driver in question was disoriented, most likely due to dehydration. If I were a betting person I would wager that he had not taken multiple breaks during the day nor had he made sure to drink before he was thirsty.
I understand your point I probably would make the same bet, as to the circumstances behind probable dehydration, I would want to know what was determined in the injury/illness investigation report before I determined the root cause of this incident. I definitely wouldn’t take a “blame the worker attitude, I believe in fix the problem and not the blame. I do hope he had a good steward present during this report.
Thank goodness he was at a customer's door rather than on a busy street.
Agreed!
Our center used to have cases of bottled water stacked on a pallet for the drivers to take as needed.
Ours too.
Most would take advantage but only a few, myself included, would take the water home, put a couple in the freezer the night before to ensure that we had cold water to at least start our day.
I see your logic but I believe this could be construed as theft.I never bring company supplied water home.
Granted, I worked in Upstate NY where it rarely got above 90-----this week has been the exception as we have had 6 straight days of above 90 temps----but grabbing a case of water and putting it in to a HOT cargo makes NO sense to me.
I agree this makes no sense.

As I understand and interpret OSHA requirements UPS is responsible to supply a cooler and ice to keep the water they provide suitably cool.
Do you think the FedEx Ground contractors do the same for their employees?
Not sure. Good question.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx Ground employees are for the most part left to fend for themselves-----most do not even see their contractors on a daily basis.

Are you suggesting that the company put a cooler in each PC and supply bagged ice and bottled water as needed? Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Taking a case of bottled water home to put in the freezer to then be used on road would not be considered theft in my book.

On a somewhat related note----would using a personal gas points card when refueling a UPS PC with a UPS credit card be considered theft?