UPS LATEST PROPOSAL

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
There’s one guy in my center that went from PT to RPCD. Company seniority trumps all when it comes to RPCD hires (I think).
This was actually what happened to me. I went from PT to an RPCD position ahead of the 25.13s (local 710s version of 22.4s).

Very curious how this plays out.

Thebrownblob

There’s one guy in my center that went from PT to RPCD. Company seniority trumps all when it comes to RPCD hires (I think).
Not sure how he did. That must’ve been a reason, but that is not normal and that is not going to be a problem. Anyone who went full-time after the last contract had to go to 22.4 first.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
This was actually what happened to me. I went from PT to an RPCD position ahead of the 25.13s (local 710s version of 22.4s).

Very curious how this plays out.
My cousin worked at UPS for years PT before I got hired as a casual. I made seniority driver before him and had more seniority. His PT only mattered with vacations.

First, it’s a new regime, out with the old in with the new.

Secondly, they were originally supposed to be used as combo jobs not necessarily full-time lower pay drivers every day. You could argue that’s just as much the fault of shortsighted union contractual language, and I wouldn’t disagree with that, but it needed to go.
the combo language was specifically put there to sell to rank and file Teamster, there was never an intention to put a single 22.4 inside (by either side)

Red Headed Stranger

How many part timers only work here a couple of years and get absolutely nothing from the pension contributions
At least with a 401k match they would have a little something
If the company still has the required 5 year vesting period, the company would take back their contributions for anyone not working five years or more. The employee would only keep what they put in. Unfortunately, 95% of the part-timers in my building do not put any money into the 401k due to low wages.

Thebrownblob

the combo language was specifically put there to sell to rank and file Teamster, there was never an intention to put a single 22.4 inside (by either side)
Did it sell them? I think not, it was voted down the people who negotiate it pushed it through. And you’re correct. The company never intended to use them properly many on the unions side thought they would be foolishly. None of them expected to complete upside down, forcing a regular package car driver six days. While 22.4 worked five. Only UPS could screw up that much.

Red Headed Stranger

I heard $45 an hour for top rate RPCD’s was in the last offer, that’s over $93k a year without OT. I’ll take that if there is a significant increase in pension contributions. I want to retire as young as possible and not outlive my pension’s buying power to the point where I’m forced into a nursing home.

Whatever happens during the next month I hope working class Americans are paying attention. They shouldn’t be thinking, “UPS guys are paid more than me, I don’t sympathize with them!” It should be, “Look at what organized labor can get you, that is fantastic!”
Completely agree. Non-union workers can thank the unions for at least making the wages they do. Without union labor, non-union companies would not pay squat.

Last edited: