UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

brownboyups

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

You did well, I'm up 16.4% YTD (+42K).

a little better than you in percentage but you are killing it in cash...that's awesome
wish you would of taken my advice on getting out of ECT (best sometimes to take a small loss)
i got out of ECT and put more money in WMC...paying off so far
RNO...still got 2 months to watch this stock...under $13.50 is attractive

i agree with you on the Dreyfus fees for buying stocks in the 401k...very very reasonable
i have no complaints

beentheredonethat

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

Yeah.. you were right on ECT. For a day or so, I thought I was. Oh well. I'll never get them all right. That's one reason why I usually don't go after many stocks. My UJPSX is up now over 100% since I bought it earlier this year. So I'm thinking of dropping a bit more into it. Not sure if that's just greed talking or not.

brownboyups

Yeah.. you were right on ECT. For a day or so, I thought I was. Oh well. I'll never get them all right. That's one reason why I usually don't go after many stocks. My UJPSX is up now over 100% since I bought it earlier this year. So I'm thinking of dropping a bit more into it. Not sure if that's just greed talking or not.

i was right...figured if you followed me in...you would follow me out...you didn't follow me out...your loss would of been around $350-$400
and would of been still up +$600 from the RNO trade...i explained you get out so your loss doesn't turn into $2,500
i wouldn't throw more money into it
if you don't need the money the next dividend may be higher and the stock will rise and you can recover
ECT got down to $10 for the low today and closed $10.77...showed me some strength...bought up at a bargain
i feel ECT is undervalued

let me know what your down and i'll take into account the +1k you made on RNO
to give my best advice i need to balance both numbers

next post will be my financial disaster wednesday

brownboyups

did anyone else get hammered today in their accounts?

was up +1k in the morning and closed now around -$2.5k...-$3.5k turnaround

here is why
Stocks slip as Fed sends mixed message - May. 22, 2013

fed chairman says QE is going to continue...market soars

then this...market tanks

According to the minutes, some members of the monetary policy committee were willing to dial down the Fed's bond-buying program as soon as June if the economic recovery becomes sustainable.

this economy is not sustainable...real unemployment 18%
economy is sustainable when we add 300k jobs per month for many months
we aren't even close

QE continues for a long time...my opinion

brownboyups

ECT...hold

dividends
ECA Marcellus Trust Dividends ECT | DailyFinance

chart
ECA Marcellus Trust Charts ECT | DailyFinance

charts show ECT is at a bottom

has to be oversold
ECA Marcellus Trust Historical Prices ECT | DailyFinance

you can make your money back off of dividends
17 years left in the trust...much time to recover

buy...sell...hold
hold is a part of investing

do not buy anymore...let the price come back or get paid to wait in dividends

​i will watch ECT everyday until you get your money back

at these prices i'm thinking about freeing up some cash
and getting back in

Last edited:

brownboyups

RNO $13.94

did get down to $13.75 but didn't stay there for long

won't go down on a minor market correction
stocks you want to buy stay high...stocks you don't want to go down go lower
remain patient and wait

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Brutal week we just had. 401K fell 2.30% in 1 week. But to put this into perspective, for the year it is still up a little over 15% and the year isn't 1/2 over yet. I have been waiting for the market to take a little breather from it's huge run-up since the beggining of the year. This maybe it. We saw the Fed test the waters on how the market will react when they stop the QE's with the release of their discussions this week. That, coupled with the news out of Japan reinforced the, "sell in May," mantra.

The cash amount sitting in the broker account keeps growing. It sometimes gets frustrating looking at it sitting there not earning anything. Then the right side of my brain kicks in and I realize buying in at a bad entry point because I was not patient is about the worst thing I can do.

Summer-Vacation peak season is here. Hit right at 59 hours when I punched out Friday. I think this summer is going to be crazy-busy. My next financial move will be to bump the allocation going into the 401K (roth and after tax) a good 5%. Keep the checks the same while increasing the savings.

On a side note, I read an article this morning. The gist of it was this; Assuming a 25 year retirement and a 6% anual return. For every $1,000 in monthly income you need $200,000 invested. Translated....according to this author, to make only $12,000 a year in retirement a person needs to have saved $200,000 when he/she retires. The whole, "You need X-times salary saved at retirement to maintain standard of living" sometime gets lost in translation.....food for thought.

brownboyups

Brutal week is right...my 401k fell around -7%...still up around +16%
not worried...all that money is going back in at some point (some stocks not all are onsale)
experts says when you get a raise put it in your 401k each year like you never saw it (good if you can)
i put 10% in 401k and 5% in after tax account (move after tax account to scottrade account at end of year)

energy is always a solid play
found a closed end company TORTOISE ENERGY...like it a lot (dividends)
Tortoise Capital Advisors

7 funds
NDP
NTG
TPZ
TTP
TYG
TYN
TYY

Last edited:

beentheredonethat

I"m going to wait a bit to let dividends help pay me back.. Although I'm pondering doing some more dollar cost averaging. I have 12K in cash right now and thinking about buying some more and hope for a bump to get some cash back. Don't worry about the loss, that's life in the stock market. Oh well. That's another reason I do mostly mutual funds. I let this remind me why I should let professionals do it for the majority of the money. If they make a mistake, I can complain about how bad they are, when I make a mistake, I can only complain about me.

Benben

NYMT finally under $7 again. Think I'll put in a limit order at $6.60. It got down to 6.77 on Thurs.

brownboyups

I"m going to wait a bit to let dividends help pay me back.. Although I'm pondering doing some more dollar cost averaging. I have 12K in cash right now and thinking about buying some more and hope for a bump to get some cash back. Don't worry about the loss, that's life in the stock market. Oh well. That's another reason I do mostly mutual funds. I let this remind me why I should let professionals do it for the majority of the money. If they make a mistake, I can complain about how bad they are, when I make a mistake, I can only complain about me.

market up +106 points and i'm getting the crap kicked out of me

never panic...your right...this is the time to hold and sit back and collect dividends
until the stocks that are down come back or get back to even by the dividends

i would not be buying anything right now...hold your cash
let the dividends pay you...play with the houses money

this is one of the parts of investing...the part that hurts
this is why investing is dividends stocks is so important (can get your money back)

market really unstable right now...fed chairman spooked the markets a few days ago
my advice...hold on to your 12k...let things get more stable before you buy anything

mortgage reits are getting killed right now as a whole but NYMT is only down a little from $7.04
NYMT will be announcing dividend is 18 days...should be another $.27 cents
New York Mortgage Trust, Inc. Dividends NYMT | DailyFinance

brownboyups

NYMT finally under $7 again. Think I'll put in a limit order at $6.60. It got down to 6.77 on Thurs.

only if you think the dividend will be the same
New York Mortgage Trust, Inc. Dividends NYMT | DailyFinance

will not make a big run like RNO but pays a nice dividend at a cheap price

mortgage reits are going down because of fears of the fed raising interest rates
people are treating these companies like that can't make money and pay a dividend if interest
rates go up...of course they can and will...15.6% yield...maybe is 5 years because interest rates
are higher the yield is 10%...that's still pretty good

your right...just got to find a good entry point...good luck

Benben

Dx on sale as the book value rose $.20 this last Q. Huge insider selling today as the lock-up period expired and some that purchased restricted shares below $10 reclaimed some cash.

Watching NYMT like a hawk, I want in at $6.50, I am not greedy am I?

Mreits prices fall due to T-bond prices, early prepayments (refinancing)....and the Fed's competition in buying them. Vast majority are ARMS not fixed rates. If Interest rates are raised by the Fed I make more money on the money I already have in.

Dx and NYMT is an investment, RNO is a Trade.

brownboyups

NYCB is ONSALE...A+++...$13.34
i own 5,000 shares
9 years of a $.25 cent quarterly dividend
NYCB Historical Prices | New York Community Bancorp, Inc Stock - Yahoo! Finance

oversold...this bank makes me a lot of money

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE

ANY TIME NYCB IS UNDER $13.50 is a BUY

brownboyups

dropped -$1,976.04 in 401k today...ouch

i never panic...what goes up goes down...what goes down goes up
every month/quarter i get paid in (dividends)

brownboyups

dow jones -208.96 friday

ever since the fed chairman's speech the market has not performed very well (especially dividend stocks)
article about what's going on
The dividend craze may be over - May. 31, 2013

because interest rates will rise a some point high yield stocks are getting killed right now (market thinks rates are rising soon)
market is dumping dividend stocks...sucks for us that own dividend stocks (our stocks are losing a lot of value)
the silver lining...dividend stocks are on and going to be ON-SALE at a lower price
panic creates fear that creates good dividend stocks at a great price

friday i sold WMC at a -$2,600 loss and now have +$20,000 in my trading account to buy
may sell some of my winners to free up more money if dividend stocks are going to be throw away

my accounts are down -$7,000 in two weeks...+15,000 YTD

i feel right now is not the best time to buy high yield stocks until they it bottom
this is tough to understand because interest rates have not moved yet

my biggest investment 5,000 shares in NYCB (bank) closed friday $13.08
to me this is a great price because of overselling
looking at buying more monday

dividends allow us to get a steady paycheck to reinvest and make more
never panic when stocks get oversold...when people realize there a great deal they should be bought up again

i still don't think the economy is doing so good that interest rates should rise...too many people out of work

----------------------------------------
ECT +46 friday (good news and a down day)
tornados have stayed south of Kansas...thankfully

brownboyups

HE...hawaiian electric $26.71

only 1 electric for the 4 islands in hawaii (would be equal to 1 cigarette company in the U.S.) sort of

great dividend payer
past dividends
HE Historical Prices | Hawaiian Electric Industries, I Stock - Yahoo! Finance

like to see this as a chart watcher
Hawaiian Electric Industries, Inc. Charts HE | DailyFinance

if dividend stocks are going lower time to create your best watchlist

Benben

I got NYMT at the price I wanted. Am very happy!

We knew a market correction was comming, its not over yet imo. Just for perspective, every year-EVERY YEAR- for the past 52 years there was at least 1 drop of 10% in the market. I have read in many places that trying to time the market is a fool's errand. I try not to time it but rather do a little homework and determine my entry points.

This is my take on whats going on in high yielding divi stocks beyond the market correction. Bonds have been the safe-haven for investors for decades. The past few years have seen returns on bonds at just HORRIBLE levels. This is by design. Investors have fled bonds and piled into divi stocks. These investors will jump right back into bonds as soon as they can and thats what happened this past week. High yielders crashed. These high yielding divi stocks, I think, will bounce right back to the "average" for the overall market when the news that the Fed is not changing anything in the next month or 2 sinks in.

The lesson is this; when the fed does act this same "divi stock crash" will occure again. Take it for what it is worth. 40% annual return was un-realistic and thats what we looking at so far for 2013. There HAD to be a correction because if there wasn't the alternative, that would occure later in the year, could and would cripple this country.

Vacation this week, headed down to Texas to see in-laws and my little sister's first baby. See you all next Friday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brownboy----you said that you have over $20K in your trading account---is it safe to assume that you have no personal debt?