USPS

Karma...

I understand that we should have a postal service....I think that the USPS should only deal with letters and flats up to a certain size and weight....The parcels should be UPS work...When the postal service was begun there were only letters and flats..........USPS should be reorganized...reduce post offices and have groups of mailboxes at central locations.....I doubt that the USPS has an ie department.....

The Driver

I drive.
The government should let them charge whatever they want for first class mail. I think they already stay out of pricing mandates for parcels.

Let them run the service so it breaks even. Stop requiring them to pre-fund health care, etc.

That will push some business to private enterprise and let the USPS operate with sanity. That's my take on the stupid situation, but maybe I'm wrong here.

WannaBeFeeder

I understand that we should have a postal service....I think that the USPS should only deal with letters and flats up to a certain size and weight....The parcels should be UPS work...When the postal service was begun there were only letters and flats..........USPS should be reorganized...reduce post offices and have groups of mailboxes at central locations.....I doubt that the USPS has an ie department.....
Lol ok ...... but when it’s peak all year every year don’t come crying about working mandatory 6 days a week for the rest of your career :sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very:

quad decade guy

Oh? No ie dept.? Probably have 2 or 3. Fed Ex might want in on the parcel business...

Shiftless

My Brother is a retired Post Master. At one point in his career he was like an I. E. guy who measured work load and routes. I can't remember what that title was at the moment. But they do measure their work inside (sorting, feet of mail % of pkg's) and outside the Post Office. When they did a ride in the area he worked in, he never rode in the delivery vehicle (mostly jeep thinga ma bobs) with the regular (same as a FT Pkg Car Driver) as he would follow them watching the typical, Driving, Methods, Safety Practice's and overall activity level of the regular. Similar to UPS but way more relaxed!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don’t mind if they deliver packages but they should only allowed to undercut out price by like 5% or something.

they have an unfair built in cost advantage

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

The government should let them charge whatever they want for first class mail. I think they already stay out of pricing mandates for parcels.

Let them run the service so it breaks even. Stop requiring them to pre-fund health care, etc.

That will push some business to private enterprise and let the USPS operate with sanity. That's my take on the stupid situation, but maybe I'm wrong here.
It really is government meddling that ruined the USPS, it’s a prime example of what is to come with all these “progressives” gaining in power. They think everything can be solved by government when government has never solved a single thing. On my old route I covered three towns, two large divided by a river and a smaller one (three streets, maybe 120 people) on the outskirts of one of those towns. All three with different zip codes but not more than 4 miles apart. All three have their own post office, two are staffed all day and have mail carriers the third is open 5 hours a day and everyone has to get their mail from a PO Box. Meanwhile UPS covers an entire county of half a million people with one building. It’s ridiculous, why? Because every zip code is required to have a post office. Close two down and operate one. 55¢ to mail a letter NY to LA, we’d charge 15$? And our service is better and faster. It’s business malpractice.

WannaBeFeeder

Volume will normalize and hiring will catch up. There is also 9.5 list.
hiring will catch up ? Lol yea maybe at the smaller hubs but not here we’ve hired 20 + Permanent street feeders since March and all of our runs to CACH our now SCHEDULED to shift when you get back To the yard. It’s hectic no such thing as 8 and skate around here

Karma...

if the situation is like this now best to start planning and hiring to address peak....maybe drag some of the feeder retirees both union and non union back although the nonunion feeder retirees are probably a bit rusty and will need some wd40 .....

Karma...

this 2020 peak will be the smoothest peak ever due to all pulling together for success......nice job in advance carol !.....leadership tempered by management....

Mack37

UPS and Fedex are too expensive for a lot of Americans, that’s where the USPS comes in. How much of UPS’s business is individuals sending packages? I’d guess it’s not a huge percentage. Hence why the post office is usually packed, affordability.

Mack37

Is UPS the reason they drive Mercedes now? Saw a few today.

They keep delaying the selection of the LLV replacement so supposedly they bought around 11,000 of those Mercedes to replace the oldest, most problematic LLV”s. The oldest LLV’s are from the late 1980’s.

Overpaid Union Thug

If you take a second look at the constitution you will see that it doesn’t actually say there has to be a post office. That is a common misconception. It just says that the government has the power and yada yada yada.

I am about as anti-post office as anyone but it has more to do with fairness and less to do with them taking out work. People that support them will argue about pension obligations and price controls. It’s not that simple. Plus, rampant inefficiency and waste has not only cost them millions but have resulted in poor customer service across-the-board.

They were only required to fund the pension for so many decades but chose to go out much farther than that. Another misconception is that it was Republicans that were solely responsible for the pension mandates. That is wrong as well. Feel free to look it up. It has been discussed here many times.

The price controls are a funny thing because if they were lifted, and the post office were to raise prices to try to break even, let alone become profitable, many shippers would likely leave them because most only use them for their ability to severely undercut the competition. Thank God there are still plenty but would rather pay more for better customer service. That helps us.

So, the very thing that essentially locks in a guaranteed way to undercut competition could also be the very thing that, should it be lifted, drastically reduces the amount of volume they handle.

If the post office were permitted to run like a business should they would likely have to take a look at cutting pensions and benefits. But good luck with that since it’s a government entity and we all know how difficult it is to take something away once it has been given to govt employees. Should they completely privatized you can count on everything I’ve laid out so far happening.

The bottom line here is that the government should not be competing with the private sector. It’s not fair and its not the governments role to provide low cost, or profitable for that matter, shipping rates. The purpose of the government is to do exactly what the name states. Govern.

I would agree if they only handled mail and certain parcels that are very small. The problem is that mail, which is mostly unsolicited now, is going the way of the dinosaurs. Well, not really a problem but more like something that is at the end of its life cycle and needs to be permitted to fade away.