Welcome to Stupid Saturday

jaker

trolling
I worked 9 hrs today 2 hrs of it was driving around looking for trailers, the rest was just driving around to places that was already done shipping for the day

Got to love feeder sometimes

'Lord Brown's bidding'

What's this "EC" only applies to weather problems? It's emergency, or unexpected adverse conditions, not "late due to weather".

"Emergencies" I've come.across and was told to use "EC":

Viscious dog in yard prevents me from attempting proper delivery to door.

Crime scene in location of delivery.

Gun battle (not my experience, but another driver; showed bullet hole where one whizzed past him while he hid in back of vehicle)

Truck trapped between two fallen trees during a windstorm.

These are all "emergencies", and except for the truck trapped by the two trees, none had anything to do with the weather. Aside from that, at least in this district "EC" packages show up on a report, and if used the center manager will have to explain to the DM why "EC" was used.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can never understand drivers who object to using EC when told to. What do you care how it's sheeted? Just do what they want.

I used to have a rural route and had no problem with the proper use of EC which, back then, was used for any package(s) that you could not safely deliver due to extreme weather conditions.

I do have an issue when we are given a curfew and then told not to sheet any undelivered packages as those would be exception scanned at the building. Those should all be missed.

Woke up this morning to a coating of ice. What doesn't melt this morning will freeze solid tonight. We will have a ton of (legitimate) EC's tomorrow.

over9five

Staff member
We will have a ton of (legitimate) EC's tomorrow.
And I would say "if the boss says to sheet it as EC, then it IS legitimate".

I think that the boss defines "Emergency conditions", not us. Maybe not having enough drivers is an emergency condition. Maybe just not having enough time to deliver everything is an emergency condition. Who knows, who cares? Just sheet as instructed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that the boss defines "Emergency conditions", not us. Maybe not having enough drivers is an emergency condition. Maybe just not having enough time to deliver everything is an emergency condition. Who knows, who cares? Just sheet as instructed.

You have been in feeders too long.

Do you think those packages either disappear or somehow deliver themselves?

I overheard our PDS/on car basically telling a driver who had been relying a bit too heavily on EC that he needed to start walking off some of those packages.

I am fortunate that I deliver in the city and EC is not an issue for me but it is obvious that there is misuse/abuse of EC by both management and driver.

Ghost in the Darkness

There is an integrity issue for the company when choosing between EC & missed. My thought is both represent a stop that I didnt attempt so I'm ok with going with their direction. Now if instructed to sheet as attempted in some way and I did not attempt it, then I will refuse.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I worked 9 hrs today 2 hrs of it was driving around looking for trailers, the rest was just driving around to places that was already done shipping for the day

Got to love feeder sometimes

Trip to the railyard?

Weve been running an extra Sunday twilight sort but they also scheduled one for yesterday (Saturday). All I can say is the tsunami looks like it's on the way... Our outbound was blown up two hours into the sort and it ran almost 6 hours. By the time I left this morning the fence of inbounds for today was already full.

I'm guessing it will be at least 300k extra packages over what the last few weekends have run.

sp max

Driver as a helper

This driver as a helper thing is ridiculous in my opinion and not safe. to make some one work that many hour with such little rest is crazy. I ran out of hours at 5 o clock Friday. Then worked as a helper till 8:00. Only to be told that I was expected to report Saturday or would the face consequences. So I guess Monday I will see those consequences. Just needed the rest!!

BrownTexas

Would you like to clarify that statement?
Or do want to mislead the new guys into doing something they can be disciplined for?

If they tell you you are forced, and they force from the bottom up, you can be disciplined if you do not show up and do not call.

I believe there are only a few locals who have language in their supplements where a 6th punch can not be forced.

Telling drivers they have contractual rights which do not exist is as bad as Upstate telling drivers they don't have the rights which are clearly spelled out in the contract.
Contract says you either work 5 8's or 4 10's. Saturday's are voluntary. They can say they are forcing you all they want. All you have to do is tell them you won't be there. Take the write up Monday and protest it if it is given.

onewithedd

If it's not on your DIAD why the :censored3: do you care ... none of your business.
Because as an employee and a customer it prevents customers from getting a refund on a parcel that was guaranteed by UPS to be delivered on time, since UPS did not hire enough help to process and deliver the parcels they guarantee it is a scape goat to get out of paying claims. We have done it on our DIAD but they decided it takes to long so now they do it on the hand helds. Either way it is the customer who pays the bills who has no recourse.

In the past only the week of Christmas were time in transit and air guarantees removed or relaxed.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We don't have much over fedex but customer service and not lying to our customers should be one thing we have on them.

brownelf

We have this issue in our center, whenever I'm instructed to sheet misroutes as anything other than missed I put per(name of sup sending message) in remarks.